Why become a member? ×

What’s wrong with this string?

Just popped a fresh set of La Bella white nylons on my fretless and the low B has something very funky going on.  I’ve taken it off and restrung it three times and the weird rattling noise is still there.

I popped the B from the old set back on and that’s fine.

Bass Direct (who i bought the strings from) kindly sent my video to La Bella, and they said my action is too low which of course is rubbish as the old B plays fine.  Pretty poor response from La Bella if I’m honest...

Weird.

Edited by franzbassist

I have just recently put a set on a P bass and was quite surprised at how careful I have to be not to play to hard I like the strings but they are not forgiving of my clumsiness and I had to set the action just a tad higher than I would normally and tweek bridge heights to accommodate. Probably not your problem at all but just thought I would voice my experience with them.

9 hours ago, Captain Rumble said:

I have just recently put a set on a P bass and was quite surprised at how careful I have to be not to play to hard I like the strings but they are not forgiving of my clumsiness and I had to set the action just a tad higher than I would normally and tweek bridge heights to accommodate. Probably not your problem at all but just thought I would voice my experience with them.  

9 hours ago, chris_b said:

Did you twist the string when putting it on?

Do you hear the rattle through the amp? If you can I'd send the strings back. If you can't I'd keep it.

Thanks for these comments guys.  I have used these strings on the bass for four years, so my action and playing style is perfectly adjusted to them.

The bass is a through body, so I never twist the string around the tuning post when tuning up; just bend it into the tuner and then wind without any wrapping around the tuner by hand.

You can hear it through the amp.  It doesn't sound quite the same as it does acoustically, but it certainly doesn't sound right.

I've had similair happen for various reasons (not with LaBella - never used them, and with fretted). From memory various reasons were:

• Loose paddle on the tuner
  • Bridge issue after fitting new strings (bridge saddle and intonation screw were not sitting correctly)
  • String not sitting correctly in the nut (had wound it badly and there was not enough tension on the nut from the string

Sorry I cant suggest much more to help than that.