Why become a member? ×

Sandberg VS-4 SOLD PENDING
£425
Bournemouth

Mickeyboro

SALE PENDING

is a Sandberg Electra VS4 bass in Tobacco Sunburst, in excellent 9/10 condition. Only the ritual headstock nicks and slight damage by the lower strap button, invisible when a strap is used, are worth a mention.

Its slim, Jazz-dimension neck measures 38mm at the nut and is very comfortable to play. The pickup emulates a Precision when the volume control is pulled out to override the active circuit. This default is a good, punchy tone and you may find not a lot of EQing is needed. But with the active circuit engaged the world is your lobster!

Fit and finish is second to none. The fretboard edges are smooth and, while you’ll notice there are no neck inlays, I have found the dots on the edge more than adequate for navigating. The bass only weighs about 8lbs, so is quite comfy for long sets.

Hardware is good quality, tuners stay in tune and the patented Sandberg bridge is fully adjustable. A triple string tree holds A/D/G strings, while the strap buttons are compatible with Schaller straplocks if you use such things. Strings are brand new Labella Deep Talkin flatwounds, which need no introduction.

The Electra series is Sandberg’s mid-line range, with bodies and necks made in Korea and assembled in Germany. The necks are Plek'd at the Braunschweig factory as part of the finishing and assembly process – unheard-of for a bass at this price range.

In my view, this knocks a MIM Fender into next week. In fact, I owned a ‘full fat’ VM4 until recently and the Electra plays just as well. I’d compare it to a Lakland Skyline in quality/value terms.

All in all, if you’ve wanted to join the Sandberg club this is an affordable way to do it!

Specification list

Neck: 6 x bolted / Canadian hardrock maple

Fretboard: 22 frets

Scale: 864 mm / 34"

Body: Basswood

Finish: Tobacco sunburst 

Hardware: Sandberg bridge

Pickup: Sandberg-designed splitcoil

Preamp: Sandberg-designed 2-band active/passive

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

fullsizeoutput_d17.jpeg

IMG_0431.JPG

fullsizeoutput_d18.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_d16.jpeg

IMG_0435.JPG

Edited by Mickeyboro
  • Like 5

You know that shiver goes through you when one of your wish list basses suddenly appears? 

Followed by the sickening shudder when you remember that cab you bought recently, which you didn't really need. 

• Haha 3

Many will know I bought one of these recently and I have to say I think it’s absolutely bleddy brilliant, super comfortable bass. A lot of bass for this kind of money, you really can’t go wrong. Must admit to some temptation on this as my current one is maple,  and a twin rosewood would be welcomed. However I’d probably be in the divorce courts pretty quickly if I made such an unwise decision to mix those joint accounts around a bit. Clearly anyone else looking at this, with the readies, will be making a very wise decision to buy it up quick. GLWTS.

Edited by Raslee

3 hours ago, Raslee said:

Clearly anyone else looking at this, with the readies, will be making a very wise decision to buy it up quick.

With the readies. There's the rub. I shall have but I very much doubt this will still be here by then.