Why become a member? ×

Tell me honestly... Does my bottom-end look big in this? 

Painy

I love the sound of my little Ashdown CTM30 but, even though it's really loud for 30 Watts, it's still a big ask for it to cope with the noisy lot in my band. 

After confirming with Dave Green at Ashdown that the amp will be okay at 2.67 Ohms, I decided that adding another cab to shift more air would be the way to help me be heard. I managed to find a very scruffy but working 410 cab not too far away and going cheap which I picked up today. I plan to re-cover it with tolex (as the carpet covering is literally hanging off the back of it) and give it a bit of an overhaul. 

Anyway, got it home and thought I'd see how it all stacks up. I'm now wondering though if it might actually be a bit much! 😳

IMG_20200627_195729.jpg

Edited by Painy
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Merton said:

Amazing!

I wonder if the LB is also Ok for 2.6 ohms.... Might allow my idea about a third One10 to become more concrete. But I’d only have 3x10” drivers vs your 10 😂

Hi Richard

Please take note :

With tube amplifiers you CAN overload them but you CANNOT underload them , to do so risks damage to the insulation on the output transformer

Therefore in answer to your question , you can run the 2 cabs in parallel  at 2.7 ohms connected to the 4 ohm outlet, do NOT use the box [Palmer Cab Merger] for a series connection in to the 8 Ohm outlet as this will be an UNDERLOAD situation

Hope this helps

[email protected] 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Painy said:

Hi Richard

Please take note :

With tube amplifiers you CAN overload them but you CANNOT underload them , to do so risks damage to the insulation on the output transformer

Therefore in answer to your question , you can run the 2 cabs in parallel  at 2.7 ohms connected to the 4 ohm outlet, do NOT use the box [Palmer Cab Merger] for a series connection in to the 8 Ohm outlet as this will be an UNDERLOAD situation

Hope this helps

[email protected] 

Good man. This may mean trouble 😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Could you put the bottom cab on its side?

Only after an extensive course of therapy for my OCD. 😬

Besides, that would take up more space on stage - and then I'd just use this setup. 

Screenshot_20200628_145749.jpg

Edited by Painy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Painy said:

Besides, that would take up more space on stage - and then I'd just use this setup. 

I`m sooooooooo envious of this set-up, but given I just can`t lift gear like that any more I`ll have to stay on the realistic side with my Ashdown RM amp & cabs (which I do love btw).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Painy said:

Are you known for causing earthquakes in your locality?

• Haha 1

Ashdown's legendary world class customer service strikes again! 🙂

I emailed Dave Green to ask whether it would be possible to order a new Grill for the 410 in the same style as my 610 so they would match. Unfortunately it would need to be made specially to fit this cab so the cost would be prohibitive (Dave reckons it would be cheaper to buy a new ABM cab). 

I thanked him and said in that case I'd just go back to the plan to buy a new double wing badge (which is £15 on the Ashdown website) and put some piping round the grill. Got an unexpected email back from Dave asking for my address so he can send me a badge and the piping - no charge! It might only seem a little thing but I think it says a lot. 

I don't have anything like the profile for an official endorsement unfortunately but I'll never hesitate to sing their praises. Awesome gear and a fantastic company to deal with!

• Like 4