Why become a member? ×

Price variation with Yamaha BB1100s

ProfJames

Just bought one of these 1988 Taiwan built in very good condition with OHSC and paperwork, a few slight scratches but for a 32 year old bass it;s in great nick.  Yet there are ones on eBay for 850 and nothing under 475....if they are all the same why the difference?  Most seem in the same condition, is there a huge difference in the build from Taiwan to Japan?

ygpchqmogkgzp1np4nyg.jpg

I bought a 1985 Japanese one for €300 a few years ago. It had a bit of damage and had been up for a while with no takers.

The asking price of a lot of instruments has multiplied over the last couple of years. Asking prices are getting stupid, it’s up to buyers  not to entertain them.

The 1100S is a very nice instrument, all the same, with a quality level which puts many of its US made peers to shame.

yam4.jpg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

Interesting. I have a Taiwan one just like that. I read up on the history via the Facebook Yam BB group and as far as anyone knows the Japan and Taiwan models are identical in every respect apart from the pickup covers/surrounds.

The earliest Taiwan ones had the Japan surrounds etc.

it was an 1986/7 “transitional model”

I had an 88 white one, with the ramped pickups and it sounded brighter/less warm.

the 90/91 bb1100s had slimmer bodies