Why become a member? ×

Problem Seller on Reverb

6feet7

I bought a bass on Reverb almost a month ago from a shop in France. Two days later he say's he has posted it but the postage tracking number doesn't appear to be right as it's not recognised by the French postal system he says he used. I've messaged him several times about this but he hasn't answered until yesterday when I got Reverb to issue a final refund notice (it's amazing how people suddenly get in touch when money is involved). He has refused to refund me saying that as he posted the bass he doesn't have to and he's sure it'll turn up. I've messaged Reverb since I received this message but I assume that they don't work at the weekend (I don't blame them) so they haven't got back to me yet. I've also got in touch with PayPal (as the payment went via them to Reverb to the guys shop), but as they didn't pay the shop directly I'm not sure what they can do. There is still no sign of the bass. Has anyone else been through this who can put my mind at rest?  

Edited by 6feet7

10 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Oh dear.  Can he send you any evidence that it was shipped?  He must have an email or a printout of the label he used?

He hasn't offered that - only the tracking number (which isn't recognised). I'll ask him about that. Thanks

Edited by 6feet7

UK Customs is running around 2-months behind at present, not a problem if your item hasn't been flagged for inspection, but a major one if it has. Quite a few folks assume if it's from the EU it won't get stopped, but it can; I had a box from Thomann stopped a couple of years ago and it added several weeks to delivery time.

Check out the below, two months between leaving Russia and being processed as having arrived in the UK. It'll be a few more weeks before I get the letter and and then a couple more still before I get the item. 

image.thumb.png.907f09a4adf70c46ec45029158256f4d.png 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 6feet7 said:

He hasn't offered that - only the tracking number (which isn't recognised). I'll ask him about that. Thanks

Often tracking numbers don't register. Reverb are VERY good at this stuff, you will get your money back if there's any problem, and Paypal gives you even more protection (doesn't matter that it went to Reverb then to the shop, that's no different to eBay). It'll work out one way or another :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

UK Customs is running around 2-months behind at present, not a problem if your item hasn't been flagged for inspection, but a major one if it has. Quite a few folks assume if it's from the EU it won't get stopped, but it can; I had a box from Thomann stopped a couple of years ago and it added several weeks to delivery time.

Check out the below, two months between leaving Russia and being processed as having arrived in the UK. It'll be a few more weeks before I get the letter and and then a couple more still before I get the item. 

Extremely helpful, thank you, BUT, there hasn't even been a label created. If there was some sign that it had even been picked up and a number I could use to track it I might feel better.

61192FFC-4316-4CB0-9B0C-315D32693732_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by 6feet7

1 minute ago, 6feet7 said:

Extremely helpful, thank you, BUT, there hasn't even been a label created. If there was some sign that it had even been picked up and a number I could use to track it I might feel better.

There are, shall we say, some cultural differences at play here :)

All joking aside, if the shop's feedback is good, I'm sure all is OK. If you know the French courier, check out who their UK partner is, and then run the same tracking number on that UK courier's website, it often resolves things nicely. 

• Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

There are, shall we say, some cultural differences at play here :)

All joking aside, if the shop's feedback is good, I'm sure all is OK. If you know the French courier, check out who their UK partner is, and then run the same tracking number on that UK courier's website, it often resolves things nicely. 

Most of the feedback is good, but there are a couple of where this has happened before. If it was for an amount I could 'afford to lose' I wouldn't be so worried. Unfortunately it's more than I should have gone for in the first place (bloody GAS), and because of this I have lost out on a couple of other basses that were half the price and probably just as good and have a large hole in my credit card and no bass to show for it either :(

1 minute ago, 6feet7 said:

Most of the feedback is good, but there are a couple of where this has happened before. If it was for an amount I could 'afford to lose' I wouldn't be so worried. Unfortunately it's more than I should have gone for in the first place (bloody GAS), and because of this I have lost out on a couple of other basses that were half the price and probably just as good and have a large hole in my credit card and no bass to show for it either :(

Frankly I'd open a PayPal claim then, it's probably the path of least resistance. They protect the buyer first, so you will likely get an automatic refund after the seller has been given a reasonable time to respond, unless either the seller is able to prove where it is or it's delivered in the meantime. Good luck :)

• Like 1

I've looked for this tracking n° from here, in France, and it's not recognised. That doesn't help much, except to say that it's not in the pipeline for delivery, so I'd go through Paypal for an undelivered order payment reversal.

• Like 1

French here - not surprised the post website isn’t up to date. It’s just total rubbish. I generally avoid using the French post, but anyway... I’d ask for the label. He MUST have received a proof of shipment. No proof —> claim. As simple as that. 

What’s the shop?

I’d be surprised to see you getting ripped off by a reputable shop, but total lack of professionalism (and hidden procrastination) could be an issue here. Either he sent it, either he didn’t, and those guys don’t look very transparent to say the least.

Its also his job to initiate a search at the French Post if the package got lost!

Edited by julfam

Over many years I've sent and received many packages (hundreds...) through all sorts of systems, but mostly La Poste Colissimo, across many borders and continents, and have never had a parcel go astray, or the tracking not to have worked. Only anecdotal, of course, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with their system in my experience. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

I did have some (2) bad ones unfortunately, and none with others. The service client was also an absolute disaster for me. Never again (for valuable items). 

AlsoI I found that it’s been quite a mess, at least with smaller parcels since they have to handle 20x the normal volumes due to Covid. (But I had the same problem will Royal Mail and a small package that got presumably lost for about 5 weeks) and showed up in my mailbox about 2 months after shipment.

Anyway that’s not really the topic... it’s been too long now, can’t be just a delay in the tracking system. Something doesn’t add up.

Edited by julfam
  • Like 1

The courier Colissimo (la poste) are a nightmare. I bought a Xiaomi/redmi phone from the Mi Store that was shipping through France and it went missing thru the colissimo system (never ever turned up)... LOADS of other people had the same issue. 

Check out the nightmare on trustpilot:

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.colissimo.fr

Edited by Ant1972
  • Sad 1

Just as an update. Got a full refund from Reverb and I was told that if the bass ever did turn up to just either refuse it or, if I wanted to keep it, to get back in touch with them so they can help me pay for it again. They said that as the seller hadn't communicated either with me or with them they assumed that the bass had never been given to a courier in the first place so they would refund me straight away. Hoping the bass doesn't now show up (though it was a rather lovely one :)

Thank you for all your comments and advice. Looks like Reverb and PayPal are used to this kind of thing and can sort things out pretty quickly once they've been made aware of the situation.

Now just got to look for another bass to take it's place :)

• Like 7