Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton P-Bass build Diary

Stub Mandrel

Well I can report exactly what the Hardly-Bent-One / Deathburger P-bass sounds like. Because after messing around with it for a few days I can say the basic sound is like hitting open piano strings, very rich and rounded but not bright (that will be the Fender flatwounds).

In fact it sounded exactly like a well known track which I have tried to learn over the last ten-minutes and record on my phone, but my sight reading of tab (even at quarter note speed) isn't too brilliant so apologies for the stilted timing and obvious fluffs, but I hope you will be able to recognise the tune and the tone is, to my ear, spot on!

Sound of the P-Bass.mp3

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well I can report exactly what the Hardly-Bent-One / Deathburger P-bass sounds like. Because after messing around with it for a few days I can say the basic sound is like hitting open piano strings, very rich and rounded but not bright (that will be the Fender flatwounds).

In fact it sounded exactly like a well known track which I have tried to learn over the last ten-minutes and record on my phone, but my sight reading of tab (even at quarter note speed) isn't too brilliant so apologies for the stilted timing and obvious fluffs, but I hope you will be able to recognise the tune and the tone is, to my ear, spot on!

Sound of the P-Bass.mp3 240.82 kB · 2 downloads

Frère Jacques?

• Haha 1

That sounds excellent!

And I shall hopefully recognise the song when you tell me what it is. That first phrase rings a very, very distant bell. Though it also sounds like something The Redhills play, and they aren't that well known. 

• 1 year later...

1856621568_DeathburgerP(1).thumb.jpg.1768154e7eb98642cfb0ea1dfc64afa7.jpgKind of defeats the point of a kit but I  jhave replaced the knobs with used ones  and added nickle plated tuners and vintage bridge. Now I've gone and got a quilted maple body (a second, but I can't see the fault). Stained it blue today.  Waiting for a Wilkinson j pup, and will be able to use the aged mint green scratchplate that wouldn't fit the original body.

image.png.f33e664a57e51c3594727986f2a81879.png

20210923_172425.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I've made a few mods to the Harley Benton P-Bass.

Original parts are neck, neck plate, jack socket, tone control and many screws.

I have a custom engraved nickel neck plate on order...

79689371_newbody.thumb.jpg.3461a3f63f6d9bac1dd285e18a448059.jpg        479836640_Body2.thumb.jpg.e43713c1999cd739414a4df7797d3ca4.jpg

(I also have a s/h neck on order so soon I will rebuild the  original bass but with a different neck) ... it seemed daft not to leave it as a pile of bits for the sake of £30.

• Like 4