Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton P-Bass build Diary

Stub Mandrel

Inspired by @Teebs buld of a Harley Benton P-bass after much agonising I invested a huge £77 in one. After restocking delays, it eventially arrived from Thomann yesterday. Everything quadruple packed - bubble wrap, boxes for neck, body and accessories (even a cheesy lead!), outer box and a completely unnecessary huge outer box to make it look like I'd ordered a triple neck quitar...

image.thumb.png.998764dc123858af95e8bcc14a487628.png

image.thumb.png.2743d717328e47116d9d77834a723d14.pngimage.thumb.png.3526a73b4d7170319f0ae953545eb6b3.png

Teebs thought his was a 'pea-bass and painted it the colour of mushy peas. I was thinking if a '51 headstock would look OK, when @wateroftyne posted this pic of Billy Talbot:

Billy-Talbot.jpg?w=1500%26ssl=1&key=a738

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

So... I must admit I'm weighing up Candy Apple Red versus getting some dark blue transparent lacquer... but meanwhile:

image.thumb.png.34bd7b3b908336d15f34960a46c4aca7.png

image.thumb.png.e1d393f7544c947c40839eb0b332083f.png

The fretsawing was hard work, the rasping nerve-wracking and the sanding had sweat literally dripping of my nose. Not sure whether to knock the bit on the tuner side off as well?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 27/06/2020 at 14:45, Stub Mandrel said:

So... I must admit I'm weighing up Candy Apple Red versus getting some dark blue transparent lacquer... but meanwhile:

image.thumb.png.34bd7b3b908336d15f34960a46c4aca7.png

image.thumb.png.e1d393f7544c947c40839eb0b332083f.png

The fretsawing was hard work, the rasping nerve-wracking and the sanding had sweat literally dripping of my nose. Not sure whether to knock the bit on the tuner side off as well?

I find headstock shaping one of the most challenging bits of any build!  This looks very good @Stub Mandrel - well worth the sweat :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Richard R said:

Funnily enough I have looked up a deep blue translucent laquer, often used over figured wood, it is one of my favourite colours in metallic and should work as a 'candy apple blue'.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I m,eant 50s, but how many 50/60s Fenders have painted headstocks?

Not my field. I did a quick image search of 60's basses seemed quite popular, but that's irrelevant. It's your project, gotta look how you want it to right?

5 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The only one I can find* is a Midnight Black but as its 'made in Japan' it's clearly 60s-style not original.

*Gogle image search for "60s fender precision bass"

Yeah I wasn't so specific, anyway it's cool, I'm just looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. 

• Like 1

I'm more worried about blending the headstock into the neck which is pre-coated in a matt finish and doesn't require further treatment.

The instructions say "Remove the neck and all the frets cleanly before you start painting".

I suspect they mean 'mask off'... I may try and spray just the headstock and 'feather in' as I like a satin neck finish.

Sprays from Northwest guitars due to arrive tomorrow. I've bought a sheet to make a 'spray booth' but I have to use it as a photography backdrop for a few things this week first!

There ought to be a good name which is also mechanical engineering play on the term "precision" bass. The best I can think of at the moment would be something like Submicron precision bass.
Or if I were building it WideTolerance precision bass.

• Like 1