Why become a member? ×

NBD - May the Forte be with you

Eldon Tyrell

Look what arrived yesterday - My long-awaited Spector Forte 4 in Trans Black Satin. It is a custom order that is modelled on a NS 4. It comes with 2 EMG 35DCX humbucker pickups, 3 knobs (volume, blend, stacked bass and treble), and the HAZ 18V preamp. It differs from a NS 4 by having swamp ash wings, no fancy tops, no high gloss finish and no inlays. It is pretty much a no-frills version of the NS 4. As I do not own and have never played a NS 4, I do not know how close it comes to the original. However, what I do know is that the sound is huge (sorry, neighbours 😉 and it nicely complements my other Spector basses. Big shout-out to Mark and Ash at Bass Direct for making it happen!

1334771039_Forte4.thumb.jpg.23ae49e7e51083436211f5b816dd7b3c.jpg1662985123_Forte1.thumb.jpg.0e9b6ed2d10865b126bb41dbd157ab23.jpg1038598787_Forte2.thumb.jpg.a7c7207b304ba34924bb2c9de2f761e4.jpg677495539_Forte5.thumb.jpg.1bd53cf5ca51412f580f8bcd2a2eda0e.jpg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

It differs from a NS 4 by having swamp ash wings, no fancy tops, no high gloss finish and no inlays.

1334771039_Forte4.thumb.jpg.23ae49e7e51083436211f5b816dd7b3c.jpg1662985123_Forte1.thumb.jpg.0e9b6ed2d10865b126bb41dbd157ab23.jpg1038598787_Forte2.thumb.jpg.a7c7207b304ba34924bb2c9de2f761e4.jpg677495539_Forte5.thumb.jpg.1bd53cf5ca51412f580f8bcd2a2eda0e.jpg

I love the stripped back look. Generally I find Spectors to be a bit too ‘bling’ in terms of the finish colours and general massive levels of flame/burl. However every time I see a Forte I think ‘I would love to own one of those!’

Congrats!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, julfam said:

Beautiful! Congrats!!

Those EMGX are a great (slight) improvement to the Spectors!

Have fun!

Cheers. The EMG DCxs are interesting. After having spent the last few hours playing the new bass, what can I say? Well, only for the second time (out of almost 20 basses) I owned, I am almost tempted to say that the bass has too much oomph. I know, I know, how can that ever be the case? Isn't more always better? 😎 The other bass with almost too much power was my G&L L 2000. Similar to that one, I have to reduce the master volume quite a bit to not make the windows of my living room pop out.

What else can I say after the first day? The action is great. Low without any buzz. Just perfect. The neck is ok. Not too chunky but not as slim as on my 77. I guess I am just too spoilt by my 77, which has the best neck of all my Spector basses (and the second best of all, after my Lakland Skyline 44-01). The weight is ok, not too heavy. I like the look of the wood grain a lot. The tone is good too. However, in direction comparison to my Mike Starr LE with the EMG PJs and the Haz 9V, I like the latter a bit more. It  just has THE tone for me.

So, all in all, the Forte is a nice addition to my collection but I guess my dream bass would have the neck of the 77, the pickups and preamp of the Mike Starr and, of course, a premium buckeye burl top in an inferno high gloss finish. Better start saving for that one then 😉 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I love the stripped back look. Generally I find Spectors to be a bit too ‘bling’ in terms of the finish colours and general massive levels of flame/burl. However every time I see a Forte I think ‘I would love to own one of those!’

Congrats!

Cheers. Yes, the Forte really has the ultimate "no-frills" look. I actually like the "bling" look more, esp. the burl/inferno red combo. I think I will go for that next (would have to be a NS-2) but they cost some crazy money. This could be good news for you if you want to own a Forte as I probably will then have to part with my two Fortes (my other Forte has EMG PJX pickups and the Aguilar OBP2, the finish is Vintage Tint Ash and only two were ever made in that finish. The other one belongs to PJ Rubal) to finance it 😎 

5 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cheers. Yes, the Forte really has the ultimate "no-frills" look. I actually like the "bling" look more, esp. the burl/inferno red combo. I think I will go for that next (would have to be a NS-2)

Please dont end up ordering a NS2 inferno with DW neck... I'd have to break into your flat 🙉

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Look what arrived yesterday - My long-awaited Spector Forte 4 in Trans Black Satin. It is a custom order that is modelled on a NS 4. It comes with 2 EMG 35DCX humbucker pickups, 3 knobs (volume, blend, stacked bass and treble), and the HAZ 18V preamp. It differs from a NS 4 by having swamp ash wings, no fancy tops, no high gloss finish and no inlays. It is pretty much a no-frills version of the NS 4. As I do not own and have never played a NS 4, I do not know how close it comes to the original. However, what I do know is that the sound is huge (sorry, neighbours 😉 and it nicely complements my other Spector basses. Big shout-out to Mark and Ash at Bass Direct for making it happen!

Lovely, happy NBD! That grain is wonderful.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Cheers. Yes, the Forte really has the ultimate "no-frills" look. I actually like the "bling" look more, esp. the burl/inferno red combo. I think I will go for that next (would have to be a NS-2) but they cost some crazy money. This could be good news for you if you want to own a Forte as I probably will then have to part with my two Fortes (my other Forte has EMG PJX pickups and the Aguilar OBP2, the finish is Vintage Tint Ash and only two were ever made in that finish. The other one belongs to PJ Rubal) to finance it 😎 

Fortunately/unfortunately I’m not in position to buy a bass at the minute. A Spector Forte is definitely on my shortlist though.

• Like 1

Congratulations! I happen to own a Forte, too and I love it. 

As for the 35DC, I love the DC's in my 5 string Spectors. My '77 has a single P (as you know it well) and my Euro435 a PJ so never tried a DC in 4 string  settings but based on the 40DC it must be killer.... too much oomph? 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Congratulations! I happen to own a Forte, too and I love it. 

As for the 35DC, I love the DC's in my 5 string Spectors. My '77 has a single P (as you know it well) and my Euro435 a PJ so never tried a DC in 4 string  settings but based on the 40DC it must be killer.... too much oomph? 🙂

Thank you and yes, I know, I know there is no such thing as too much oomph. If it is too strong, then I am too weak 😎