Why become a member? ×

G&L Fallout Tribute

scalpy

10 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

Wunjo on Denmark Street don't set up basses as they come in, but instead provide a setup as part of a 3 month gaurantee - which always seemed incredibly shortsighted for a shop selling £2k basses, so I'm not that suprised - I guess it makes sense in a way - mainly financial.

True - and a setup is so personal that it doesn't make sense to spend too much time/money on it, seeing as tastes differ so much. I love shops that offer a setup after you've bought a bass, it's just a nice touch. I would have thought someone would have checked it over just to make sure  it was at least in some way playable before it was shipped out though. I've never been in a shop and picked up a bass with saddles all over the place that buzzed loads though 😵

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scalpy said:

I'm surprised to hear it was a bit rough out the box. Hope it gets fettled ok after some time to bed in and becomes a keeper.

I'm feeling much better about the bass now. I put a new set of Status Nylons on it, and they would not stay in tune, let alone intonate. The E string was especially bad. After two days of frustration, I threw them away and replaced them with some Status half-rounds. These have been instantly better, in that they stay in tune (!) Switched from Kustom Hybrid bass head to a GK MB500 too, and that has also helped. The bass pickup is hot, and the "purer" output of the MB500 seems to calm things down a bit. Most probably a keeper - certainly as No.2 bass. Photo of fretboard figuring:

358521532_GLfingerboard.thumb.jpg.01d4a00ece857e02fd2d0978aae5f490.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 15:31, solo4652 said:

I The bass pickup is hot

Well I have to say that your post has but me off buying one of these unseen.

One thought about the above comment though. G&L pickups are hotter in general and you can't max out the tones and volume and expect to get the best from them.

I have had an L1500, L2000/2500, and a Skyhawk and ASAT Special 6 stringer and all of them play better with the volume dialed back a touch. That approach opens up a really rich world of beautiful tones from what I believe are fantastic instruments. 

Enjoy your new bass.