Why become a member? ×

G&L Fallout Tribute

scalpy

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 09:20, solo4652 said:

Held out for as long as I could. Caved in today, and ordered a CAR one...

Well.......... Has it turned up yet? Just seen they're not in stock until mid Dec, but did your order sneak in before their last batch sold out? 

20 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Well.......... Has it turned up yet? Just seen they're not in stock until mid Dec, but did your order sneak in before their last batch sold out? 

Not here yet. Last message from Andertons on 27th October said they were expecting delivery "on or around 27th November"...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I've noticed that Andertons will list an expected delivery date when other shops have no idea when the same stock will arrive, they then will push the delivery date daily when it doesn't arrive, not in all instances of course but i remember chasing the Hudson Broadcast AP. 

If I'm being cynical, they possibly don't know when the stock will arrive but having a set delivery date on the website that's sooner rather than later has more chance of securing a preorder than simply listing it as out of stock. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Yeah I've noticed that Andertons will list an expected delivery date when other shops have no idea when the same stock will arrive, they then will push the delivery date daily when it doesn't arrive, not in all instances of course but i remember chasing the Hudson Broadcast AP. 

If I'm being cynical, they possibly don't know when the stock will arrive but having a set delivery date on the website that's sooner rather than later has more chance of securing a preorder than simply listing it as out of stock. 

Yep - I strongly suspect you're right.

I don't think they know what's on each order until it comes in as well. I was waiting on a G&L Tribute JB for a while and the date kept on getting pushed back week by week. When I phoned up they said they order stuff from their suppliers but they don't always get sent what they order and they only find out what they have when the lorry arrives.

That's for the current line anyway. Seeing as the Fallouts are reasonably new and no one else stocks them, it could just be that there aren't any in the country and they're building up presales. 

• 2 weeks later...

Diary entry today reads; "New bass delivery?!", so I checked the last email I received from Andertons on 6th January (that's this year, not last year...)

"We are writing to notify you that our supplier has recently informed us of a delay to the G&L Tribute Fallout Short Scale Bass CAR MP PRL (Stockcode TIEFLB-111R03M30) you ordered. Based on this new information, we are now expecting to receive our delivery to our warehouse around: 15/01. Please note that arrival dates are always subject to change."

Just received this text from DHL;

"Your DHL Express shipment with waybill number 8280254640 from ANDERTONS MUSIC COMPANY is on its way. We will require a signature at the time of delivery. The current estimated delivery is Tue Jan 19 2021 before End of Day."

• Like 5

It's pretty much what I was looking for; a short scale passive 4-string, pickup arrangement closer to a Stingray than a P, with a nut width closer to a P than a J. I've had G&L's (USA and Tributes) before, and have always liked them, apart from the over-complex controls on some of the active models. Bass was very well packed in a box inside a box. Came with a small set of Allen keys for neck and saddle adjustment, and  D'Addario roundwound strings which were immediately replaced by my favourite nylons. The strings I had here were all medium scale to suit through-body stringing on my previous short scale bass (Squier Vista), and needed to be cut down a fair bit to fit the Fallout. I'd say short scale strings would be fine for the Fallout. I'll need to buy some proper length strings for it. 

Initial impression was a little disappointing, to be honest. Fret buzz was so bad it was virtually unplayable. I saw that the bridge saddles were all over the place - two had one screw all the way in and the other all the way out. The other two saddles were sitting on the bridge plate. I sorted that out and put a tad more relief into the neck. Now the bass started to sing and play. The MFD pickup is well-known and suits this bass well, I reckon. The pickup is powerful without being too barky or aggressive. Roll off the tone, and you're not far off P sounds. Differences between the three settings are fairly subtle, and only one is truly humbucking. I'm settling on the middle position - no idea what it is. Tone control works well with a good range of adjustment - better than plenty of other basses I've tried. With a wide, rough-finish leather strap, I'm not getting any neck-dive. On luggage scales, bass weighs 4.2 Kgs.

The finish on the rear of the neck is not as good as my previous G&L's, and this has been the main disappointment for me. It feels rather unfinished, and not especially smooth. I may decide to wire-wool it and then use some oil. The quality of the finish on the body is absolutely fine. Maple fingerboard has a few natural stains in it, but feels smooth enough. I've not discovered any sharp frets yet. 

Setting the intonation has been a challenge. That's most probably because the new nylon strings are stretching quite a bit, and my clip-on tuner is not agreeing with my output jack tuner!

Overall; My feeling is that this will be an excellent back-up to my No.1 bass which is a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody. And that's what I've been looking for. Because of the woeful (i.e. non-existent) setup on arrival and my liking for floppy, stretchy strings, it's taken me two days to get the bass to a playable state. Maybe that's to be expected for a brand new instrument that's travelled a long way. The quality of the neck finish (I think Ed Friedland mentions this in his short video) could be better and does not match the finish of other G&L Tributes I've had. Overall, I'd say the bass is worth the money because of the unusual mix of nut-width, scale length, pickup position, and for its MFD pickup.

Waffling now. I'll shut up.

1202756507_GLFallout.thumb.jpg.40157a0c77be8c793ebc72e372e8d5df.jpg

• Like 7

After a slightly bumpy start, we're definitely getting there now. Did a basic set up, now just tweaking to take account of neck and string settling. E string intonation is proving troublesome, but I suspect that's because I'm using cut-down medium scale strings which may not suit the nut grooves. Proper short-scales on order. Played it through my rehearsal rig yesterday - Deep End 1200 hybrid head with a 12" 350w Techamp speaker. Ooof! Huge, rich tones, needing a bit of mids boost from the amp. Of course, virtually impossible to get a clear idea of gig tone with the rig just about ticking over in the dining room. Neck is the probably the widest short-scale I've played but is fairly thin front-to-back, so not too clumsy at all. Would love to play it a full band session, but that's not going to happen any time soon, dammit.

13 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Looks lovely next to that Lakland!

Stil, glad you're happy with it after the wait and hope you enjoy playing it!! 

It does look great - love the colour and styling.

13 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I'm a bit surprised it turned up like that and would have hoped someone at the factory or Andertons would have picked it up. 

Wunjo on Denmark Street don't set up basses as they come in, but instead provide a setup as part of a 3 month gaurantee - which always seemed incredibly shortsighted for a shop selling £2k basses, so I'm not that suprised - I guess it makes sense in a way - mainly financial.