Why become a member? ×

Decoding Sandbergs.

Dirty Soul

As I understand it, a V model is a Precision whereas the T is Jazz and M is Musicman.

Now I think about it, these may all just refer to the pickups (VM having a Precision/Musicman pairing, TT being Jazz pups at neck and bridge and, though I’ve never seen it, VT for a P/J setup.

So I reckon that e.g. California indicates the body shape (Precision-like) and the letters the pickup configuration. 

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Like 1

I think strictly speaking, the letter indicates the body shape, not the pickup configuration.  The "T" is like a jazz body and the "V" is like a precision body:

t500.png.2fb555566a7933fcfadbdcff8112afca.png

v500.png.82aabf3fd50153e1ad840307b74c0ebd.png

However, yes, the T body comes with the jazz pickups, and the V body comes with the precision pickups.  However that stops applying with the TM2 and VM2, which have the same double-MM pickup configuration but with the different body shapes.

TT = 2 x jazz
TM = jazz middle + MM bridge
TM2 = 2 x MM

VS = precision
VT = reverse precision middle + jazz bridge
VM2 = 2 x MM

They previously called the "V" the "P" but it was changed, I think coming up to around 10 years ago?

Have a play with the configurator! http://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

I think strictly speaking, the letter indicates the body shape, not the pickup configuration.  The "T" is like a jazz body and the "V" is like a precision body:

t500.png.2fb555566a7933fcfadbdcff8112afca.png

v500.png.82aabf3fd50153e1ad840307b74c0ebd.png

However, yes, the T body comes with the jazz pickups, and the V body comes with the precision pickups.  However that stops applying with the TM2 and VM2, which have the same double-MM pickup configuration but with the different body shapes.

TT = 2 x jazz
TM = jazz middle + MM bridge
TM2 = 2 x MM

VS = precision
VT = reverse precision middle + jazz bridge
VM2 = 2 x MM

They previously called the "V" the "P" but it was changed, I think coming up to around 10 years ago?

Thanks for that concise answer, really helpful 👍 

So if I wanted to hunt for an old style 5-string P shape with a MM pickup up would be a PM5? 

8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Have a play with the configurator! http://configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/

That thing is evil! I could easily spend all my money there 😲🙃

23 minutes ago, Dirty Soul said:

Thanks for that concise answer, really helpful 👍 

So if I wanted to hunt for an old style 5-string P shape with a MM pickup up would be a PM5? 

It could be a PM5 or a VM5. They changed from a P to a V before the body shape changed i believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pineweasel said:

The body shape change was more recent than the name change, so you can find VM5s with the old shape. 

Ahh I see, it’s something of a minefield trying to figure out what’s what, hence my original question, but thanks to everyone for your answers ☺️

I must admit I favour a little more  the ‘old shape’ But I do think the new shape looks good, certainly confirms they are more than just Fender clones as some accusers would label them. Was the shape change lawsuit related? 

Thanks to this thread I know know I have an old shape TT4 and it’s easily my most played bass! 

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Just look on their website?

Thanks, I had done that but wanted to also know how it related to the old shapes And I didn’t know that the second letter denoted pickup configuration, hence asking here and I’m sure you’ll agree I got some great answers. 

5 minutes ago, Dirty Soul said:

Ahh I see, it’s something of a minefield trying to figure out what’s what, hence my original question, but thanks to everyone for your answers ☺️

I must admit I favour a little more  the ‘old shape’ But I do think the new shape looks good, certainly confirms they are more than just Fender clones as some accusers would label them. Was the shape change lawsuit related? 

Thanks to this thread I know know I have an old shape TT4 and it’s easily my most played bass! 

i think the change from a P to a V prefix may have been due to Fender getting grumpy about the whole P bass thing. Heard it somewhere on the web so it must be true....

Don't know about the shape change though. I had an old PM4 and remember thinking i wasn't too keen on the new shape when they came out but i've got used to them now and think they're ok. Sandy's in general are lovely anyway, fabulous basses and great quality. I'd cheerfully have another one in any flavour :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Soul said:

Thanks, I had done that but wanted to also know how it related to the old shapes And I didn’t know that the second letter denoted pickup configuration, hence asking here and I’m sure you’ll agree I got some great answers. 

yEs ThEy WeRe AmAzInG aNsWeRs

3 hours ago, Dirty Soul said:

There's one on Gumtree at the moment: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/sandberg-california-supreme-vm5-precision-bass-2013-fender-style-/1376416878

£1100 seems on the higher side to me, but then again they don't come up that often, so depends how badly you want it...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mudpup said:

i think the change from a P to a V prefix may have been due to Fender getting grumpy about the whole P bass thing. Heard it somewhere on the web so it must be true....

Don't know about the shape change though. I had an old PM4 and remember thinking i wasn't too keen on the new shape when they came out but i've got used to them now and think they're ok. Sandy's in general are lovely anyway, fabulous basses and great quality. I'd cheerfully have another one in any flavour 🙂

Haha it wouldn’t surprise if that was the reason, Fender have know to be slightly litigious in their history. 

I agree totally with the quality, a lot of bang for the buck! 

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

There's one on Gumtree at the moment: https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/sandberg-california-supreme-vm5-precision-bass-2013-fender-style-/1376416878

£1100 seems on the higher side to me, but then again they don't come up that often, so depends how badly you want it...

Thanks jrixn. I’m not actually in a position to buy just yet, currently researching the used market for when I’m ready (also dare I say it... not so keen on black gloss 🤭) but I’m happy to bide my time until the right one comes up. 

I think you’re right about the price too, my preference would be an soft or hardcore aged and they seem to come in around the £1.1k mark. 

Edited by Dirty Soul
Spelling

24 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The old ones are a lot heavier if that is important to you.

Really? Wow, I was surprised at how light my TT4 was, mind you I’d just played a Corvette bubinga 5 for a year so next to that a sack of bricks would seem light :)