Why become a member? ×

Small powerfull combo

DarkHeart

I`ve just scratched a big itch of mine as regards transport, unfortunately it doesn`t have the room for the 2x10 plus 1x15, plus heads room my old car had (joys of topless motoring) what would people recommend that might fit on the front seat of a Saab 9-3 convertible?

I use an AER amp one and it’s got a seriously full and punchy sound. I’ve also used a lot of the other competitors and used to own a Genz Benz 3.0 Shuttle combo which was also really nice. For giging ability The AER combos are, in my opinion, a cut above the rest.

• Like 2

I've had an AER amp two and, for a short while, an amp one.  Both those amps are amazing.

A couple of years ago, I was on a campsite in Chinon, France, and heard a band sound checking. The bass was full and loud.  They were playing "Sultan's of Swing".  The band was outdoors and a good 500m away.  When we went round to listen, the bass player was using an AER amp three, the 2x8 version.

I couldn't believe the volume and depth of the sound outdoors.  The AER combos are just amazing.

Frank.

• Like 1

Just to give you one more to think about, I have the Eich 112pro which is tiny, 500 watts, full and creamy sounding, top quality build and louder than both the AER amp one and the Mark bass CMD121p (I’ve had both).
it’s not cheap though...

• Like 1

I think youd get more out of separates (both in storage/fitting in the car) and volume.

Rather than a combo that only puts out half of what it says it does (unless you add an extension cab) I'd go for an 800w class d (so you get around 4-500w at 8ohm) and just to throw a curve ball - how about a markbass 210? I had one a while back and it could go blistering loud.

5 hours ago, Creeper said:

Just to give you one more to think about, I have the Eich 112pro which is tiny, 500 watts, full and creamy sounding, top quality build and louder than both the AER amp one and the Mark bass CMD121p (I’ve had both).
it’s not cheap though...

I'd love to hear your Eich 112pro.  I've also had a Markbass CMD121P and AER amp one (and amp two.)  The AER amp two did it all really but I'm sorely tempted by the AER amp three, just because... :)  If the Eich is as good as the AER amp three it must be quite something.  Mmmmmm.

Frank.

6 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I'd love to hear your Eich 112pro.  I've also had a Markbass CMD121P and AER amp one (and amp two.)  The AER amp two did it all really but I'm sorely tempted by the AER amp three, just because... :)  If the Eich is as good as the AER amp three it must be quite something.  Mmmmmm.

Frank.

I’ve always been a combo man and had some pretty decent gear over the years from AER amp one, Mark bass CMD121p, Mesa Walkabout, SWR Redhead, Peavy Bam, (what an amp, just weighs sooo much) and a Tecamp 212 combo, but this Eich takes some beating, I took it to my first practice last night, it weighs nothing, looks and sounds great and has more than enough headroom, as much as I loved my amp one, it’s been blown away by this....

the Mark bass would probably be the best to compare it with since they are both 12 inch speakers and similar power, but the Eich is louder and not as sterile sounding as the Mark bass, it cut through effortlessly, just need a gig now...

• Like 2

I gig a lot with a Fender Rumble 500 v3. Light, cheap and loud enough for most gigs. With the dual gig bag housing 2 basses and a HX Stomp I get the whole rig in the back seat of my small Peugeot 2008. And bring the whole rig in one go without breaking my back in the process.

If you're after compact think Trace Elliot Elf and a couple of Schroeder Mini 1x8 or 1x10 cabs. One of my friends thought I was joking when I brought this to practice.

Soon changed his mind when I turned it on.

Total weight is about 10kg.

On 27/06/2020 at 12:24, Dan Dare said:

The 9-3 has a decent sized boot. Does it have to fit on the seat? If it does, I reckon Lozz is right. 

Not the convertible unfortunately.

I was toying with a 1x12 4ohm cab 300w minimum, I`ve got Hartke LH1000, LH500 and 300w Gallien Krueger heads, I was toying with selling the LH1000 to finance the smaller rig which is definitely an option I`m open to.

Edited by DarkHeart

On 10/07/2020 at 21:23, TheGreek said:

If you're after compact think Trace Elliot Elf and a couple of Schroeder Mini 1x8 or 1x10 cabs. One of my friends thought I was joking when I brought this to practice.

Soon changed his mind when I turned it on.

Total weight is about 10kg.

Powerful enough? Thanks 

On 10/07/2020 at 20:32, Creeper said:

...the Mark bass would probably be the best to compare it with since they are both 12 inch speakers and similar power, but the Eich is louder and not as sterile sounding as the Mark bass, it cut through effortlessly, just need a gig now...

I've come across MB amp and cabs as being described as 'warm' on plenty of occasions, but don't remember anyone describing them as 'sterile' before!

I noted that one of the criteria for the OP was "powerful". One general point to be aware of is that a lot of combos only let you deliver their full output via an extension cab. One notable exception is the MB AC 121 Lite (there's actually one currently in the FS). This little beast will deliver a full 500W through its 12" speaker. I don't recall having to ever push mine hard, even with a full 5 piece rock band and no PA support. 

Ok, just bought a GK 112 cab, still not small enough to go in the boot but sits nicely on the front seat or possibly the back as its light enough to lift, I`ll probably now sell my complete Hartke rig as theres no way I can get the 1x15 into the car without dropping the roof every time I want to move it, plus at the moment it lives in the front room and the mrs is starting to notice! I`ve got a spare LH500 I can pair with the cab but was thinking about one of the micro 500w heads. The search continues.

9 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Barefaced One10 and a class D head of your choice.

A little expensive but works really well for me too.  Adding a second one10 gives you a rig capable of most, if not all, of my pub/club/hotel/festival gigs. (Sometimes with PA help.)

Frank.