Why become a member? ×

Smooth Hound wireless query

dmccombe7

Was using my wireless today and it developed a loud buzzing like an earth loop issue. Heard a couple of "popping" noises too. Unplugged and used a lead to ensure it wasn't my amp and all was fine. Played a few songs with the lead and no issues plus i did notice my tone was fuller with the lead.

Moved the wireless receiver off the top of my amp and used a different socket instead of the amp case rack mounted one and the fault seemed to disappear.

The amp is set up in our bands studio so there are other items plugged into 4-bar sockets etc. 

Should i be worried that its developing a problem. 

Anyone else experienced this with the Smooth Hound units.

I've gigged this unit with the receiver sitting on my amp and plugged into the rack mounted sockets and all was OK.

Its got me baffled a bit.

If anyone can shed some light on it i would be grateful.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Mine did the same thing when I ran 2 devices off the same power supply, so it's more likely that side of things.

Cheers Vinny good to know its a more common issue than just mine. (that didn't come out the way i meant it :laugh1:)

Dave

I put new batteries in when i arrived yesterday and they were showing full bars. Anytime i've had low batteries it just died on me eventually but i was down to the lowest indicator. Didn't notice any other issue with it.

At gigs i normally plug it into the rack mounted 6-way mains and its fine.

I'm going to do some more checks on it on Tues when i'm back in studio and see what more i can find. Once i've experimented a bit to nail it down i'll contact Chris at Smooth Hound.

Failing that i may look for a different wireless system.

One thing that was blatantly obvious when i changed over to a lead again was the depth of tone that appeared. Sound seemed fuller. I need to check the setting on the wireless as i know you have a setting to make it sound more like a cable.

Dave