Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb 'JD' 1985 4 string bass *SOLD*
£1500
Blyth

warwickhunt

Warwick Thumb 1985 'JD' bass

That time of the decade for me to have a clear out.

I've cribbed some of Luke's info re. this bass (it was previously for sale on here and I did a deal with a Sadowsky for this)

It's a pretty much all original 1985 JD Thumb bass, one of the first 150 ever made.  This is the second revision with the classic body shape, with the early shorter horn. Back in the days when Warwick was all about small scale handbuilt production. Why only pretty much all original?  The german session musician that Luke bought it from had it refretted with period correct steel frets (back in 85 these didn't have the bronze alloy frets). It's got that thin, skinny neck common of this era.  Weight is 8lb 15oz... under that elusive 9lb mark!

It doesn't state JD on the truss rod cover but back then all Thumb basses were "JD".  The truss rod cover is quite special - it's made of solid Mother of Pearl! According to an email conversation with HP Wilfer of Warwick this was quite an expensive feature and used in the early days to designate any "custom shop" models built to a particular spec. In this case the active SD active pickups and the brass saddles on a black bridge are slightly different to what you would expect. Luke asked and he couldn't remember who it would have been built for. You won't find many Warwicks with one of these truss rod covers. Jack Bruce had one on his 1985 fretless. 

Plays great, and has a nice low action all down the 26 frets, it sounds great with the classic thumb bass sound (piano like?) but comparing it to some later thumbs which had more of a middy compressed tone this is slightly more open sounding with a big fat bottom end.

Apart from a small chip to the corner of the truss rod cover it's in great condition for a 35 year old bass, actually it would probably be  in a pretty good condition for a 3 year old  bass.  

Comes in a Bass Centre branded '90's Warwick gig bag in usable condition but with the cable pocket zip broken. If it needs to be posted could add a generic hard case for an extra £20.

_DSF8551.JPG.4c14cc7dc70cb832392042b904814d04.JPG

_DSF8553.JPG.723ab1456e85396fbde0842049363c5d.JPG

T1.jpg

T3.jpg

T5.jpg

T8.jpg

T9.jpg

Edited by warwickhunt
  • Like 12

I have an ‘88 bought new from R&B in Aberdeen in ‘88, it’s a keeper, I’ve come close even sold a matching Fretless, but no, it’s just fine hangin’ on the wall.

You will regret this 🤭

The truss rod cover was a very early and very expensive way they designated either custom instruments or ones for special players (eg jack Bruce). It’s a massive slab Of mother of Pearl and goodness knows how much the materials would have cost. 
so factory fitted early “custom” bass - what we think is custom (we being John me and HP wilfer via email) is the pickups and bridge saddles. 

it’s a lightweight one, under 9lb as John said and for a short horn one (“I designed it wrong” HPF wilfer told me) it balances well.

the tone is amazing, bell like Piano tones which is a bit more open and less compressed that a typical Thumb bass - which makes it a bit more versatile. 
It was my ultimate dream bass and I only sold it as I was playing my other Warwick more regularly in the band. 

Edited by LukeFRC

Just now, OutSpoon said:

That’s lovely. Any trade interests? 

I never say 'never' BUT if it isn't something that really interests me the value would have to be such that I could sell it immediately, without hassle... in which case you'd likely get more selling it yourself.   

Message me and see, I can only give 1 of 2 answers.  ;)

• Like 1

I have an ‘88 Thumb, love it bought it new, still, every time I see one of this calibre I feel a need to buy it. Ah, never mind. GLWTS  I thought this would have jumped off the shelf as well.

• MB1 locked this topic