Why become a member? ×

Hughes & Kettner Bassbase 600 amp
£225
Blyth, Northumberland

I owned one of these back when they were new and just released, I bought this particular amp off a fellow BCer as a back-up and out of nostalgia.  It's as good as I remember but seeing as how I've now got 4 amps... I don't need 3 back-ups!  The amp had a new power switch and service done when I bought it.  

Lots of info on the internet re. these professional level amps.  Please don't confuse this with the Basskick series, these are a step above and really are the mutts nuts.  No class D power ratings just old school transformers and bags of power/volume... though you can practice in silence through the headphone output. 

600w (RMS) into 4 ohms though it will operate at 2 ohms with 1.000 watt.  Features a dual-channel tube-driven preamp, with a Varimetric EQ and a notch filter which is useful if plugging in an acoustic bass and you want to dial out unwanted resonances.

DI is transformer balanced with ground lift switch.

MIDI optional MSM-1 - you can buy a plug and go midi module from H&K that gives access to a wealth of options.  

Effects Loop serial

Footswitch/Stageboard Stageboard; switching Functions EQ on/off, A, B input (not included)

I really don't want to run the risk of damage in transit, so collection or sensible meet up point is the way forward (NE England).  Sorry I really don't need any gear as a trade.

1990369798_HK.jpg.58aa7cf98a58998a7d2cd5369cd6982e.jpg

Edited by warwickhunt
  • Like 4

Ah, my old amp! 😊

I bought on here from @dougal I believe back in 2009/10.. Finally sold it to John two years ago.. 

I did many, many gigs with it and still miss it! We were partners in crime (or was it time??). 

Anyway, truth be told, I missed it so much I went out and bought another one about a year later which I still have. 

These are high quality amps with loads of great features, plenty of power, great e.q. and to my ears at least, they just sounds good right from the get go! 

Can't recommend this amp - or @warwickhunt for that matter - highly enough!

GLWTS 👍😊

• Like 2

I had the Bassbase 400 for years, loved it but it could have done with a little more power sometimes (not that often).
High quality gear, and you can experiment new tones  with an easy swap of the the 12AX7 preamp tube.

I have sold it to buy a good class D, that I have eventually just traded for a big transformer amp.
Same old story... Otherwise I would have bought this in a wink.

This is a real bargain !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/06/2020 at 20:27, claustra said:

I had the Bassbase 400 for years, loved it but it could have done with a little more power sometimes (not that often).
High quality gear, and you can experiment new tones  with an easy swap of the the 12AX7 preamp tube.

I have sold it to buy a good class D, that I have eventually just traded for a big transformer amp.
Same old story... Otherwise I would have bought this in a wink.

This is a real bargain !

Couldn't agree with you more on this @claustra

The quality and versatility of an amp like this is second to none! 

Still can't quite believe it hasn't sold yet tbh.. 🤔🙄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oldman said:

Thanks Nik. 

Its a 3 hour drive from me, i’ll have to suspend my GAS attack and sell some kit 🤔

If you want to hear it, if John turns up a bit you’ll probably be able to hear it from yours then! 

• Haha 2

For what it's worth - I sold my old amp in order to buy one of these older Hughes & Kettner amps - they are great. The only reason that John's isn't mine is that I tracked down a Hughes & Kettner QT600 instead. 

22 minutes ago, Oldman said:

I’ve just bought, there’s no gigs, I’m having a health issue, the dog ate my wallet, I’m saving up for a haircut, stop it Luke 🤥

LOL  To compound your problems... I could add a 'brand new' Gear-For-Music 3U padded case for £20 extra!

2 hours ago, Oldman said:

I’ve just bought, there’s no gigs, I’m having a health issue, the dog ate my wallet, I’m saving up for a haircut, stop it Luke 🤥

you forgot "If it had one string less/more", or "if it was in sunburst" 

• Haha 1

That's an impressive amp for that silly price. If i wasn't so happy with my Mesa Mpulse 600 i reckon it would be worth driving down and picking this up.

Unbelievable bargain. The various youtube reviews i listened to the amp sounded really warm but with a nice edge to it depending on EQ settings. 

Darn it i just hate GAS.

GLWTS

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Oldman said:

Can I have a snap of the rear please, if it’s not too much trouble 😎

Now, if you had asked me that, question, you would have got a totally different pic in the reply! 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sold.

Just to say that as it is now sold and not to someone on BC, I'll reiterate that this was one hell of a bargain of an amp.  If it weren't for the weight (less than many amps), I'd not have sold it.  If you are in the market for a PRO amp, search one of these out!  

I've got nothing to gain from bigging it up, just trying to ensure anyone search threads re. these amps realises what a bargain and monster they are.

• Like 2