Why become a member? ×

Rather good compression tutorial

51m0n

Ok so I bang on about compression too much I know, but this tutorial here actually shows a few things I keep on about really well. Namely compression is only evident within the context of a mix, and it doesn't wreck your dynamics.

Now this is all very much from the perspective of s mix engineer, but honestly, that's how you should be thinking about compression anyway.

Enjoy 🤩

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

I've been getting into compression because of my first time mixing with a DAW. This has resulted in me buying a compressor for my pedalboard after many years of not having one. This video is great and I really like that he says, "Use your ears," rather than using preconceived numbers. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Using a vocal track as the basis for the tutorial is a great idea because it makes the examples and differences more tangible and easy to talk about (e.g. "notice how you can hear the 't' at the end of the word", etc). Also our ears are naturally more sensitive to small details when it comes to vocals. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 51m0n said:

Ok so I bang on about compression too much I know

I hadn't noticed that :)

Al joking aside, your 'banging on' has been extremely helpful to me as a musician over the years, and even more so now that I have tentatively taken a step into (a form of) professional production. Please keep banging on mate.  

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, AJ567 said:

Using a vocal track as the basis for the tutorial is a great idea because it makes the examples and differences more tangible and easy to talk about (e.g. "notice how you can hear the 't' at the end of the word", etc). Also our ears are naturally more sensitive to small details when it comes to vocals. 

Absolutely, bass is a crude vehicle for studying/learning compression, or perhaps more correctly a difficult one. The fact that the brain is so attuned to nuances in the human voice allows us to hear compression effects so much more clearly than on nearly any other source. I'm very interested at present into the payoff between compression making a track easier to listen to (and therefore more likely to sustain a listener to the end of the piece) and compression inhibiting/accentuating the non-verbal component of speech, and it's fun to record a vocal and play around with this question in mind (and I recently bought a very nice Avalon VT-737 to do the playing around on, which makes it even more fun)!

• Like 2