Why become a member? ×

Learn Two Simple Rhymes To Read Any Note In Bass Clef

greghagger

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm really not sure it would make any practical differnce in my case 🙂

Anyway, the one way music would make sense for me would be for everything to be notated in the same key and transpose, rather than all the notes going wobbly every time there's a key change 😉

If you systematically learnt how to read music, you would be fine with any piece of music someone threw at you, key changes included! 

2 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Its just one of those things, you are what you practice. If you don't practice it, even if you once learned it, you'll probably forget.

I need to do some reading practice before rehearsals start up....

That’s very true, you do have to maintain any skill you learn.

You have reminded me that I better start some practise! 😂

gorgeous blonds don't feck around.

Regarding the ledger lines, I know middle C so then it's just like reading the treble clef - or thinking of it like piano score. This approach may not work for everyone.

(and yes, I'm aware the bass is transposed down so those notes would not be as sounded in the treble clef)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

gorgeous blonds don't feck around.

Regarding the ledger lines, I know middle C so then it's just like reading the treble clef - or thinking of it like piano score. This approach may not work for everyone.

(and yes, I'm aware the bass is transposed down so those notes would not be as sounded in the treble clef)

Good rhythm, and true 😂

It is useful to learn ‘key notes‘ at first, to help you to learn all the others. For example the middle line, D was a useful one to learn first. 

When starting to read leger lines on the bass guitar, I found that learning C (first line above the stave), and G (third line above the stave), helped me initially. 

Weirdly, the "top string" of an electric guitar is read the same as the "top string" of a bass guitar. For example, 5th fret on a 6 string guitar's top E string is A (1st ledger line above treble clef); and 5th fret on a bass guitar is middle C (1st ledger line above bass clef).

Its a happy coincidence due to the clefs being a 6th (actually a 13th) apart and the top strings being the same distance apart too.