Why become a member? ×

Who Will Make Our Cables Now?

stewblack

To be fair there is not much in making a good cable. You can choose the best cable, connectors and be the best solderer on earth. The problem with mass produced cables. Even the best brand names, such as Fender, make crap cables as they are made of cheap components in the far east. As a rule of thumb, if you cannot undo the connectors to inspect the solderin,g and you do not recognise the make of the connectors, leave them alone.

My biggest reason to ignore a cable would normally be masses of heatshink. It is usually hiding something.

On 26/06/2020 at 21:15, Bobthedog said:

I am a big Designacable fan.  Never let me down yet.

Another big fan of Designacable here, great service every time, quick turnaround and loads of colour options which is great.

It’s amazing how my cables stopped going missing and being ‘borrowed’ when they were bright red or green!

• Like 4

On 04/07/2020 at 17:38, Chienmortbb said:

To be fair there is not much in making a good cable. You can choose the best cable, connectors and be the best solderer on earth. The problem with mass produced cables. Even the best brand names, such as Fender, make crap cables as they are made of cheap components in the far east. As a rule of thumb, if you cannot undo the connectors to inspect the solderin,g and you do not recognise the make of the connectors, leave them alone.

My biggest reason to ignore a cable would normally be masses of heatshink. It is usually hiding something.

Do you have a list of industry standard equipment, I can solder and a sparky I just haven’t thought about doing cables for myself!

be good to know what’s the best cable/cables and connectors etc. 

1 hour ago, dand666 said:

Do you have a list of industry standard equipment, I can solder and a sparky I just haven’t thought about doing cables for myself!

The man himself was selling off cable and such - ypu never know, you could become the man! 

@obbm will be the one to ask

On 04/07/2020 at 17:38, Chienmortbb said:

The problem with mass produced cables. Even the best brand names, such as Fender, make crap cables as they are made of cheap components in the far east. As a rule of thumb, if you cannot undo the connectors to inspect the soldering and you do not recognise the make of the connectors, leave them alone.

In fairness, I have two Klotz cables (both of which have inaccessible moulded plugs), of which I've used either one or both at almost every gig I've played since mid-1986. Never a single glitch. 

2 hours ago, dand666 said:

Edited by Chienmortbb
POSTED TOO SOON

38 minutes ago, Rich said:

In fairness, I have two Klotz cables (both of which have inaccessible moulded plugs), of which I've used either one or both at almost every gig I've played since mid-1986. Never a single glitch. 

Yes, Klotz have a reputation to maintain as one of the three best cable manufacturers in the world. I would not expect them to put their  name to poor quality goods. The fact that the cables are moulded is not in itself a bad thing, just that for many cables it is sleight of hand hiding poor quality.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2020 at 11:46, dand666 said:

wrt Soldering - Weller and Pace are 'big names' in industrial use although several others too including eg RS own brand stuff.

example:

https://cpc.farnell.com/weller/ws-81-uk/soldering-station-95w-230v-uk/dp/SD02383

On 30/06/2020 at 13:03, stewblack said:

Exactly. Dave's  cables were not just well made and to order and using quality components. They literally never fail. 

That kind of peace of mind is priceless. If something goes wrong on stage I don't need to think about cables, which makes fault finding so much faster. 

i have various OBBM cables, so need never replace what I already have :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/06/2020 at 13:49, songofthewind said:

Try Stewart Ward (Award Session) for cables. Any combo you like.

+1

Stewart or Designacable are both great options, very good quality and reaosnable price. Been using Stewart's cables ('Cleartone') since around 2001, and they are still in great condition (I lost a few in the usual chaos post-gig, which is why I started buying from Designacable, as they do coloured ones, and I don't seem to 'lose' them if they're bright red, orange, etc...)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2020 at 13:30, Rich said:

My wireless lead is an OBBM, it's bombproof.

This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!This does not compute!!!!!

(I know what you mean really)

• Haha 2