Why become a member? ×

Precision pickup with most highs

Lozz196

As per the above, which pickup for the trusty Precision has the most highs, but without sacrificing low end. I’m thinking maybe SD Quarterpounder. I love my Custom Shop 62s with rounds but feel they’re a little too mid-focused and relaxed on top end for flats. I suppose I’m after the typical 70s sounding pickups.

The Kent Armstrong Hot Ceramic P pickup (make sure its the ceramic one and not the vintage voiced one) is nice and bright and growly too, they call it Hot but whilst the output is good it is not wound superhot (11k resistance) and Ceramic keeps it nice and bright, I dont know what flats you are using but have heard that Quarter pounders sound great with TI's

Edited by shoulderpet

I find the Entwistle PBXN to be similar to the 1/4 pounder, as in doesn't quite sound like a classic P but has a nice top end. But I feel the PBXN has more mids, kind of like a 1/4 pounder with the mids turned up. I considered getting rid of the 1/4 pounder and putting a PBXN in that bass. 

They're cheap but I think they're great. Might not be quite Precision enough for traditionalists, but neither should the 1/4 pounder be. 

🙂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, inthedoghouse said:

I've got one of these on order, I should be getting it early next week.  It's just been made today 🙂

https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/classic-74-precision-p-bass-pickups.html

Yes I did a search on 70s sounding p-bass pickups and these turned up, will be interested in hearing your views on them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes I did a search on 70s sounding p-bass pickups and these turned up, will be interested in hearing your views on them.

I'll report back when I've had chance to give it a proper go.  We've got a rehearsal on Tuesday but I doubt it will be here in time for that, and we only use the gear in the studio so I won't have a realistic idea how it performs in a live with my own gear or recording situation.  I'm looking forward to it.

He has quite a full order book so it would be several weeks before you receive it.  I wasn't in any rush though.

• Thanks 1

Brightness has more to do with string and amp/cab choice than pickups, I find. High output pickups are not necessarily the way to go, in my experience. They can easily drive an amp into sounding dirty, but combine that with a tweetered cab and the result can be harsh, rather than bright and clear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2020 at 20:13, Dan Dare said:

Brightness has more to do with string and amp/cab choice than pickups, I find. High output pickups are not necessarily the way to go, in my experience. They can easily drive an amp into sounding dirty, but combine that with a tweetered cab and the result can be harsh, rather than bright and clear.

I think there is definitely some truth to this when applied to P pickups, I have tried a number of P pickups and they all sounded more similar than different, they all had strong bass and low mids and comparatively less highs than for example a J pickup, even the brighter P pickups were not night and day brighter, I have found that strings make more difference.  The other thing to try  is 500k volumes and a no load tone pot.

I dont have direct experience with but wiring one of the higher output P pickups like the Dimarzio split P or model P in parallel might be worth trying

Edited by shoulderpet

• 4 months later...