Why become a member? ×

String suggestion for those that like broken in strings Rotosound Rotobass

shoulderpet

I was feeling like my P bass was missing something tonally then after playing my Hofner straight afterwards I was surprised to find that the 3 week old Rotosound Rotobass strings on my P bass were only very marginally brighter sounding than the TI Jazz flats on my Hofner, granted the difference became more pronounced when slapping but the Rotosound Rotobass strings are probably the darkest sounding nickel plated rounds ive used so for anyone who likes broken in sounding rounds these will probably be just the ticket, they dont start out particularly bright and break in quickly

I've really tried to like Rotosounds. I'd love to support a home grown manufacturer (they started out about a mile from where I grew up in North Kent/South East London), but I don't like the tension or the way they feel under the fingers. A shame.

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

I've really tried to like Rotosounds. I'd love to support a home grown manufacturer (they started out about a mile from where I grew up in North Kent/South East London), but I don't like the tension or the way they feel under the fingers. A shame.

Yeah they are quirky strings for sure, in the 95-35 gauge the tension is fine but I would never use 105-45 with Rotosound, they would make good money if they brought out a flexible roundcore version of their strings .  I am less impressed with their short scale strings which are awful, you'd think since they have been makign them since the 60s they would know that the short scale strings are dreadful

Edited by shoulderpet

I like the sound of broken in rounds, the smoothness of flats and like higher rather than lower tension strings.

I've settled on D'addario half rounds (enr72 50-105) as my go to string. They sound like a broken in round straight out the packet but with the solid bottom end of a flat, and stay that way for a few years. Played with a pick or aggressive fingers they still have plenty of clank, just not that shrill new round high. 

16 minutes ago, Maude said:

I like the sound of broken in rounds, the smoothness of flats and like higher rather than lower tension strings.

I've settled on D'addario half rounds (enr72 50-105) as my go to string. They sound like a broken in round straight out the packet but with the solid bottom end of a flat, and stay that way for a few years. Played with a pick or aggressive fingers they still have plenty of clank, just not that shrill new round high. 

Have you tried Fender pure nickel strings? I tried them recently and was blown away, much better than half rounds, similar highish tension, soft on the fingers, very warm sounding, lots of low end and highs there if you dig in, as well as growl. 👍

15 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Have you tried Fender pure nickel strings? I tried them recently and was blown away, much better than half rounds, similar highish tension, soft on the fingers, very warm sounding, lots of low end and highs there if you dig in, as well as growl. 👍

I haven't but I'll give them a go next time I need some. 👍

19 minutes ago, Maude said:

I haven't but I'll give them a go next time I need some. 👍

I've tried most brands of flatwounds, nickel rounds, half rounds etc. Never tried pure nickel, and they definitely sound like a nicely broken in nickel roundwound right from the get go. Very balanced across all the strings as well.

• Like 1