Why become a member? ×

NBD: MusicMan SUB USA

theyellowcar

52 minutes ago, funkle said:

Blue. 

I suspect it will be because I have always fancied a Metal Flake but they need a scratchplate and no other bass I own has a scratchplate. Unless I want to respray an old Fender.

Edited by owen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, owen said:

Classic. I am now humming and hahing between metal flake blue or a nice lightly reliced sea foam green. 1st world problems. 

Flake every time! 

sea foam green will look vintagish - so it depends if you are stripping the neck - vintage pastel with a non vintage looking black neck? Not for me.

Sparkle or pearl or something more modern looking - yes please!!

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

Flake every time! 

sea foam green will look vintagish - so it depends if you are stripping the neck - vintage pastel with a non vintage looking black neck? Not for me.

Sparkle or pearl or something more modern looking - yes please!!

Neck back to the thinest clear seal I can get away with and a colour matched headstock.

Going slightly off topic, any other USA SUB owners noticed or have had an issue with how thin the Black paint on the neck is? Mines starting to wear away and I've seen so many online with the same issue. 

10 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Going slightly off topic, any other USA SUB owners noticed or have had an issue with how thin the Black paint on the neck is? Mines starting to wear away and I've seen so many online with the same issue. 

Odd, I had the opposite problem, tried to remove it, wasn’t easy 

59 minutes ago, 40hz said:

My old one was wearing thin in places, felt fine though.

The paint on mine (ex BreadBin) is quite thin and showing signs of wear in places but it has a lovely soft worn-in feel. Here's a pic of the top edge. Personally I prefer necks that have been well played and naturally worn in. Like an old pair of slippers.

1019113601_ebaySUB7crop.thumb.jpg.4973a3a0e69ed8f82e524083dedf5962.jpg

• Like 1

Mine had had the neck stripped and oiled when I bought it, leaving only the headstock in the black. My old bass teacher had one of these (hence my desire to have one at some point) and his was bought from new and I definitely recall patches of missing paint on the back of the neck through years of playing. Always felt great though.

On 15/01/2021 at 22:03, Beedster said:

Odd, I had the opposite problem, tried to remove it, wasn’t easy 

When I had mine refinished it was the same. The tech guy had a helluva job removing the paint, there were still tiny flecks in the grain but he’d already taken some meat off the neck and taking more wouldn’t have been sensible 

0ABC418A-250A-41A3-A140-E09C1796E9AC.jpeg

30D26643-2691-4C00-A805-D1DB1677C9E3.jpeg

72FDDD8C-8EE0-48BC-9846-E0B7EBF1CF0C.jpeg

1 hour ago, owen said:

Thanks, I will get some NM Pro.

I think it’s called Craftman’s these days, it comes in a yellow tin. I originally got it to remove the nitro lacquer from the neck of my Roadworn P (I don’t get on with fairly new nitro, it’s often too sticky) IIRC and, as the paint was starting to wear (and be sticky) on the SUB, both got the treatment. I resealed with Danish Oil (2 or 3 coats, knocked back with wire wool each time).

Edited by ezbass