Why become a member? ×

NBD: MusicMan SUB USA

theyellowcar

It’s been a while, but lockdown has really got me playing properly again. I had one of these about five years ago but (regrettably) let it go as part of a part ex on another P. I’ve been keeping half an eye on eBay for the last few months to see if one would come up again, and on Sunday night my wish was granted!

A White, active USA SUB, delivered to my door in short order, and it’s full of unmistakable Stingray zing, and I love it! It’s basically immaculate apart from a bit of wear on the paint which is understandable for something of this age. Very happy.

05CBE8C8-0F2C-4495-9FA5-57292E41FDC9.thumb.jpeg.df46147fdbe45dda8e2d76c7e9e12bdc.jpeg

• Like 19

Great basses, had a couple. I only sold mine due to struggling with anything over about 7.5lbs on long gigs, which has unfortunately ruled out these and Stingrays for me.

IMHO the white looks even better with a matt black MM scratch plate which ties in nicely with the headstock. ( Never a fan of the original tread plate one ).

• Like 1

Congratulations on your bass - I have a 5 string in white also. 

5 hours ago, casapete said:

Great basses, had a couple. I only sold mine due to struggling with anything over about 7.5lbs on long gigs, which has unfortunately ruled out these and Stingrays for me.

IMHO the white looks even better with a matt black MM scratch plate which ties in nicely with the headstock. ( Never a fan of the original tread plate one ).

Strangely my 5 string is as light as my Stingray Specials - sub 8 lbs!! Not all Stingrays are heavy. As for the chequer plate pg, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I've kept mine on - I quite like it and it has an oddly nice feel whilst playing. 

Seriously good basses for the money, these - great 2 band Stingray sound - the white seem to be a bit rarer and look very cool 😎

16 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Congratulations on your bass - I have a 5 string in white also. 

Strangely my 5 string is as light as my Stingray Specials - sub 8 lbs!! Not all Stingrays are heavy. As for the chequer plate pg, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I've kept mine on - I quite like it and it has an oddly nice feel whilst playing. 

Seriously good basses for the money, these - great 2 band Stingray sound - the white seem to be a bit rarer and look very cool 😎

That's interesting - I've seen the Specials but a bit out of my price range TBH. If a s/h Stingray surfaced that was sub 8lbs I would be very tempted as have always loved MM stuff. I've had a fair few Rays over the years - a 78, 88, 94 and 2001 (IIRC) as well as a USA Sterling (which I mistakenly thought would be lighter!) and a couple of USA Subs. All fantastic basses too.

There’s no question after a week that it’s heavy.

I’ve thought about changing the diamond plate to black (the matte black suggestion is a good one!) or shell but I’m not sure I will, partly the collector in me, partly I actually like the look and feel of it.

I’m still “learning” the EQ (even though this is my second SUB) - being a P Bass guy normally, I find myself rolling the treble off slightly so it’s not quite as in-your-face as everything wide open. Any tips on how you get the most out of your 2EQ Stingray would be welcome!

Edited by theyellowcar

I tend to run my 2 bands with bass full and treble just under full, volume not quite on full.

To get more mid range, roll the tone controls back towards the centre. 

You can get a vast amount of variation by changing the level of plucking attack, or moving your plucking hand - from mellow near the neck joint through to much more aggressive/punchy the closer to the bridge you move it. I guess in all of those respects it's like a Precision but the range of sounds is much broader. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

You can get a vast amount of variation by changing the level of plucking attack, or moving your plucking hand - from mellow near the neck joint through to much more aggressive/punchy the closer to the bridge you move it. 

Thanks for your input! I’ve found this particularly true compared to my other basses - there is a much more nuanced range of response depending on playing style / the level of “digging in”. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, theyellowcar said:

Any tips on how you get the most out of your 2EQ Stingray would be welcome!

Freq charts for the EBMM 2-band EQ below for info. Not having a centre detent or 'flat' position can be a bit confusing. I found these charts really helpful in understanding what level of cut or boost was going on at various settings of the bass and treble controls.

EBMM 2-band EQ Freq Charts.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Crikey, how heavy is your P? 😆

Actually looks can be deceiving (feeling in this case). Out of curiosity put these on a scale

SUB 4,1kg

American Standard P (with MIM maple neck) 4,0kg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBoman said:

Actually looks can be deceiving (feeling in this case). Out of curiosity put these on a scale

SUB 4,1kg

Think that's about average for a USA Sub from my experience. Still great basses. 👍

3 hours ago, ikay said:

Freq charts for the EBMM 2-band EQ below for info. Not having a centre detent or 'flat' position can be a bit confusing. I found these charts really helpful in understanding what level of cut or boost was going on at various settings of the bass and treble controls.

EBMM 2-band EQ Freq Charts.jpg

V interesting - thanks for that - and also shows why moving the controls back towards centre of the range boosts apparent mid range. (It shows why the 3 band is different - enables mid boost in the scenario with bass and treble full - to get rid if the mid scoop if wanted - plus the high pass reduces the boost sub 40 hz). 

3 hours ago, JBoman said:

SUB 4,1kg

The P will probably feel less balanced owing especially to the difference in headstock design/length/tuning peg placement. 9lbs is not heavy though....

My US Sub 5 is so light the neck dives (not noticeable on a strap or sat down playing - only if you balance the bass on your leg sat down and let go with your hands - it will gradually tip over!!)

Edited by drTStingray

45 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

The P will probably feel less balanced owing especially to the difference in headstock design/length/tuning peg placement. 9lbs is not heavy though....

Agree. My SUB feels super comfy when playing standing up, no neck dive, nice balance between body/neck weight/feeling.

Sitting down, that slab is not nice for the arm. Would not use it for long recording sessions... unless you do it Dimebag way, record standing up, because "no one would go to war sitting down" :D

Edited by JBoman

I’ve had 2EQ Sub and Stingrays, my current squeeze being a Classic, and I always have bass up full, and use the treble like you would a passive tone.   Start with it fully off, then bring it in until you get the bite you need.   Or leave it off and go full-on dub/reggae...

• Like 1

On the question of weight, my USA Sub (in white, my favourite finish) weighs in at 10lbs.  It's easily the heaviest bass I own but, I think due to the balance, doesn't feel too heavy on a gig.  I can comfortably play for long gigs without shoulder pain.

These USA SUBS are really great basses.  I've had mine for many years and I doubt I'll ever sell it.  It is rather roadworn though.

Frank.

• Like 1