Why become a member? ×

E string too loud - pick up height for Marcus Miller V3?

JonnyBGood

Hi folks

So my E is noticeably louder than the other strings, the question is do I lower that side or raise the other side? I'm thinking to lower the bottom string side as I sometimes knock the string onto the pickup when I'm playing slap. This could of course just be clumsiness that I need to rectify.

Anyway here are the measurements for each pickup height, last fret held down. 

Neck: E   2.5mm   G 2mm

Bridge: E  1.8mm    G 1.5 mm

What you you guys reckon?

Fender spec (depending on pickups it does vary) is 3.1mm E to 2.4mm G so try starting with both pickups at that and then adjust the bridge pickup to balance with the neck and then adjust to find best balance between strings, A string is often hardest to get balanced with a Jazz pickup in my experience, the Entwhistle pickups with adjustable pole pieces worked well for that just moving the pole peices 1/4 to half a turn did the trick

I've recently moved my pickups further away on one instrument and got a to my ear better sound without much loss of volume (P bass 3.9-3.6mm starting height recommended by one UK pickup maker)

It can depend on strings as well, I tend to nickel flats 45-105

Trial and error using you ear, there is no definitive right height

Edited by Aidan63
additional remark
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

I've recently moved my pickups further away on one instrument and got a to my ear better sound without much loss of volume

+1 I recently did this with one of mine and was pleasantly surprised with how it evened up the string to string balance and opened up the tone.

I don’t know what the string to pickup distances are on mine, I measure mine from the pickguard and on the E it’s 2.5mm, A about 8, 9 with the D and 5 on the G on my basses. I have recently started playing less full on so that may change but I’ve always found that with standard specs the E just booms out of control.