Why become a member? ×

Advice on buying record player

machinehead

On 25/06/2020 at 19:38, pineweasel said:

I don’t know about cheaper options, but the Pro-Ject Juke E is well regarded integrated turntable and amplifier, just needing a pair of speakers (which you can find bundled for under £500 total)

e.g https://homeavdirect.co.uk/pro-ject-juke-box-e-all-in-one-turntable-q-acoustics-3010-speakers

What a fantastic bit of kit. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dankology said:

I'd just be a bit wary of two things: one would be getting the vinyl bug and then soon wanting to upgrade from something that would have very little re-sale value; the other is the risk of wrecking a nice record collection with a cheap tonearm/stylus set up. Although that would be faithful to the old Dansette tradition 🐵

Have been looking at this quite recently for my brother, who sounds to be in a very similar situation. He seems to be edging towards the Audio Technica turntable which connects via bluetooth to wireless (powered)  speakers. Although I believe these just send the summed mono signal to both speakers rather than true stereo.

Oh dear, mono v stereo argument inbound 😂

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2020 at 19:38, pineweasel said:

I don’t know about cheaper options, but the Pro-Ject Juke E is well regarded integrated turntable and amplifier, just needing a pair of speakers (which you can find bundled for under £500 total)

e.g https://homeavdirect.co.uk/pro-ject-juke-box-e-all-in-one-turntable-q-acoustics-3010-speakers

Thank you to everyone who offered advice.

I think this is the winner.

The recipient is, in my opinion, tone deaf, and definately not into hifi.

His partner is also musically illiterate so I think this will be fine.  A decent sound and the satisfaction of spending a little cash. :)

All help is much appreciated.

Frank.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

How about a basic turntable set up:

Turntable - Audio Technica LP60XUSB  £119

Amp - Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1  £99

Speakers - Mordant Short M10  £59

All available from Richer Sounds.

That's a lot of finding about to play an obsolete/niche audio format.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, naxos10 said:

How about a basic turntable set up:

Turntable - Audio Technica LP60XUSB  £119

Amp - Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1  £99

Speakers - Mordant Short M10  £59

All available from Richer Sounds.

My oldest boy wants a set up for his bedroom. I showed him your post, he then searched for reviews and will now be ordering. He had a budget of £300 and was going to come to me for more money. It seems you have saved me some dosh!! £277, with those very favourable reviews, made it a no Brainer for him.

Thanks for the heads up. 👍

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lowdown said:

My oldest boy wants a set up for his bedroom. I showed him your post, he then searched for reviews and will now be ordering. He had a budget of £300 and was going to come to me for more money. It seems you have saved me some dosh!! £277, with those very favourable reviews, made it a no Brainer for him.

Thanks for the heads up. 👍

just be sure to give the guys at the store a call and make sure that record player will work with that amp. ie the record player has a preamp built in or you may need to order a separate pre-amp as well like this

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Phono-Preamplifier/211K?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz97034ui6gIVw7TtCh2SOAbcEAQYASABEgKypfD_BwE

edit, i've just checked and the record deck DOES have a phono pre built in so you're good to go!

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

just be sure to give the guys at the store a call and make sure that record player will work with that amp. ie the record player has a preamp built in or you may need to order a separate pre-amp as well like this

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-Phono-Preamplifier/211K?origin=product-ads&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz97034ui6gIVw7TtCh2SOAbcEAQYASABEgKypfD_BwE

no phono input according to the specs