Why become a member? ×

70’s Jazz Bass pickups?

four/five

Somewhere in one of the forum answers was a “hint” of Fender 70’s Jazz Bass Pu’s could be a bit dodgy sound wise.

My bass certainly doesn’t have that “scooped” tone that I hear on other Jazz’s no matter what strings I’ve put on them.

In fact the only way to get it sounding like a Jazz is to seriously tweak the Trace GMX12 preamp. I have recently found that whilst the coils on both PU’s give readings of about 7k ohms. There are shorts between the coil windings and the magnets. So it looks like having them rewound or replacing them. Though with what?

There was an interesting little bit on 70's jazz pickups from Monty's on Instagram (ssssss!  I know - I don't normally social media but...), you might have got on the wrong side of the quality control.

Might be worth giving them a call for a rewind - and they do a replacement too - https://www.montysguitars.com/collections/bass-pickups/products/retro-wind-j-bass-pickup-set?variant=29222240288867

I wouldn’t rewind them if it was mine and I was looking for best tone possible. The magnets would have deteriorated and new bespoke pickups might be better quality all around. 
I rewound my previously owned 64 Jazz Bass’s pups, but that was a different story as I wanted the old school vibe,  though it definitely sounded ‘better’ with the Fralins in.

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1