Why become a member? ×

A new bass for after lockdown?

four/five

I currently own a 70’s Fender Jazz, GB 5 string Spitfire and a Vintage P Bass.

I’m looking for a 5 string bass to use in pub gigs that consist of only having a square yard to stand in otherwise the drummers cymbals etc
take either your hand off or put yet another ding in your guitars neck,body.(I apologies to any drummers)

Ive been eyeing up either one of the Marcus Miller Sire basses or a Yamaha BB 425/435. I realise the Sire has more bells and whistles but having owned a BBNE years go I know the quality in Yamahas.

The PBass would be OK but it’s only got that one sound and I’m tempted to put in an EMG PJ set into it I’ve got lying around doing nothing. I’ ll have to get the bridge position routed out but it may turn out to be a bit more versatile.
Any suggestions?

I have the Sire P7 (mk2) 5er and the BB 1025 (which will be pretty similar to the BB 435) and have had the 425 previously.

The P7 gives you additional active EQ options and I actually prefer solo P pup on the Sire over the Yammy's. The Yammys are a fantastic passive bass, and I find they sound great on combined PJ setting.

You won't go wrong with either and they are excellent value and stand up well against basses costing a lot more.

If you're talking EMG PJs then you get me thinking about Spectors...now that would be a treat!