Why become a member? ×

EMG GZR pickups fitment

la bam

Hi all,

I've just purchased a snazzy looking bass, but it's a cheapo and I'd like to do it up.

Does anyone know how easy to fit the emg geezer pickups are? In particularly it says they come with the correct pots as well and it's all solder less connection. Is this true? And is it genuinely that easy - no soldering etc?

Yes, really easy. The connections are simply 'slot in'.  One thing to bear in mind is making sure the body routing is wide enough to accept the connectors (around 4mm I think) else you have to either widen the rout or cut off and re-wire the connectors once threaded through from pickup gap to the control cavity.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. 

My tips... just set everything out neatly first and make sure you follow the instructions (sorry for stating the bleedin' obvious). Make sure you slide the connectors in the right way round... they have a tiny arrow on the top, but not easy to spot.

I fitted it all neatly into a Squier Jag SS plate... took a bit of orienting but no problem. You might have an issue if you have an edge mounted jack which is usually documented in reviews.

It's a great upgrade.

Edited by Trueno

• 1 month later...

I just installed some of these today on my Mexican Fender P Bass. I've never opened up the electronics on any of my basses/guitars in my 15 years of playing so was a bit apprehensive about changing pickups. It was so simple though! Everything on the EMG GZR set is provided and slots in nice and easy; I found this video very useful to show how to do it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbn5VCmPW50.

The only thing I had to 'do' to my existing electronics was cut the ground cable that went from the bridge to the input jack, so that I could clip it in with the other ground cable that is provided with the EMGs. 

I wouldn't say the difference in sound between the stock PU and the EMGs was a major one; but it definitely makes a difference and was a worthwhile upgrade in my opinion. the GZR provides a better low end/low mids for rock and metal - which is what I play, and what I felt my stock PU lacked.