Why become a member? ×

John Peel Resource

Frank Blank

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Nice!!  that's the next few weeks for me sorted esp 23 Skidoo, ACR, Cabaret Voltaire, Culture, Curve, Dreadzone, FGTH, Half Man Half Biscuit.. Yikes, makes me realise how much influence JP has had on my music taste.

Absolutely this, very much looking forward to doing much like you.

Nick Gomm the lead singer/guitarist in a band I was in a few years ago was John Peels main studio engineer/producer and is credited for the sound/mixing on a lot of the sessions.

Nick is now in his seventies and is such a modest guy, he has obviously worked with lots of well known artists/bands, but does not brag about it at all, a lovely bloke who had a great career with BBC radio.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 2

That’s great!

The Ruts sessions are well worth a listen - I still have a TDK D cassette somewhere with them taped from the show at the time(s). John Peel also played them back to back in their entirety when Malcolm Owen died.

I think there’s a session missing from the list - Society (B-side to Babylon’s Burning) was definitely recorded as part of a session, as I recall.

They were all once released on CD, but this has (sadly) since been discontinued.

Great band, great sessions, and (for me) a genuine example where the Peel versions were significantly better than the album/single versions...

12 hours ago, Angel said:

He's one of those people I really liked, and I'm glad he did what he did, but boy did I hate all the music he liked.

That's a lot of music. 

I think you're left with Bewitched, Mantovani and Sandie Shaw, enjoy :)

Edited by Drax
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Angel said:

He's one of those people I really liked, and I'm glad he did what he did, but boy did I hate all the music he liked.

All of it? But the thing about JP is his tastes were so eclectic Look at 1976 festive 50s and there's Led Zep, Floyd, Dylan, Hendrix, Beatles, Neil Young, Genesis. They're not my bag at all but JP covered most genres.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Not forgetting bands like napalm death carcass and the early grind core Stuff. 
didn’t cardiacs do a session as well?

I did notice there were a few missing, but hey, it's still a great resource.

The Bolt Thrower & Electro Hippies Peel Sessions were good too. Had a load of them on Vinyl.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

All of it? But the thing about JP is his tastes were so eclectic Look at 1976 festive 50s and there's Led Zep, Floyd, Dylan, Hendrix, Beatles, Neil Young, Genesis. They're not my bag at all but JP covered most genres.

Indeed. I used to record some of the shows with a mic from a mono cassette player and just let the tape run.

The quality wasn’t great, but I still have a tape that has Draw the Line by Aerosmith, followed by Suburban Relapse by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Definitely an eclectic show!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I remember taping Voodoo Ray and Birthday (by the Sugarcubes) - I played that tape until it wore out.

I fell in love with Bjork that evening and still feel it now 🙂

I had a similar Bjork ‘conversion’ experience when she was fronting K.U.K.L., in Vauxhall of all places!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Seriously? All of it?

Yeah, your right, it wasn't a very clear statement. I suppose that more specifically I was listening to him on the radio around 85 - 90 and it seemed like it was all stuff like the Fall, a band that I found painful to listen to. Nothing wrong with the music but I really didn't like anything that got played personally.  

My Fave music is prog, and he championed Yes in the early days, I can't deny that. But he did move on and turn away from that stuff. I'm also in classic rock, early metal, jazz fusion, jazz in general, disco .... all stuff that I don't think he seemed to play much!

I just remember being in the room when other people had his show on and it was dull song after dull song. Just my opinion of course, I'm not saying that they were dull, just perceived as that by me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angel said:

Yeah, your right, it wasn't a very clear statement. I suppose that more specifically I was listening to him on the radio around 85 - 90 and it seemed like it was all stuff like the Fall, a band that I found painful to listen to. Nothing wrong with the music but I really didn't like anything that got played personally.  

My Fave music is prog, and he championed Yes in the early days, I can't deny that. But he did move on and turn away from that stuff. I'm also in classic rock, early metal, jazz fusion, jazz in general, disco .... all stuff that I don't think he seemed to play much!

I just remember being in the room when other people had his show on and it was dull song after dull song. Just my opinion of course, I'm not saying that they were dull, just perceived as that by me. 

He played a lot of stuff that I didn’t like but whilst waiting for stuff I did like I often heard stuff I’d not heard before that I did like. JP introduced me to lots of bands and a few genres of music too. My musical genesis (sorry) was prog really but JP was a massive reason for the broadening of my musical horizon. I’m off to listen to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

1 hour ago, Angel said:

Fairy nuff. Yep, seems he generally stopped playing prog from 1977 , if the festive 50 lists are anything to go by. He didn't really champion metal bands and jazz and disco didn't seem to be his bag either. 

I didn't get his love for The Fall nor The Undertones and indeed he did play a lot of drivel. IMO Undertones spin-off That Petrol Emotion were 1,000 x better. But his hit rate for me was way higher  than any other radio music show.

17 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Fairy nuff. Yep, seems he generally stopped playing prog from 1977 , if the festive 50 lists are anything to go by. He didn't really champion metal bands and jazz and disco didn't seem to be his bag either. 

I didn't get his love for The Fall nor The Undertones and indeed he did play a lot of drivel. IMO Undertones spin-off That Petrol Emotion were 1,000 x better. But his hit rate for me was way higher  than any other radio music show.

This.

The thing about JPs radio show was that if you didn't like the record he was playing, there was an good chance that you would love the next one. From 1978 to 1984 the majority of my record purchases were as a result of hearing them on his show.