Why become a member? ×

Favourite P2 (5 string) shape soapbars?

benh

Jeez, you must be good at wiring etc...glad it all worked out!...how would you describe the improvement in the tone?....i may well leave the mk1's in place and just update the pre just for ease.

Cheers for posting this. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ebenezer said:

Jeez, you must be good at wiring etc...glad it all worked out!...how would you describe the improvement in the tone?....i may well leave the mk1's in place and just update the pre just for ease.

Cheers for posting this. 

No problem! Not particularly good at wiring, just persistent (was a late night!). I'd say it sounds more "open" if that makes sense, maybe easier to convey dynamics would be a better way of putting it. To be honest the pre made the most difference. But to my ears both the Delanos and the Nordys were a good improvement over the MK1s, just not as much difference as the preamp made. Unfortunately I don't have any way to record any samples!

• Like 1

On 25/06/2020 at 11:18, ebenezer said:

I am in the same position as yourself, although my bass is a lakland 5501....same pickups and preamp as the cort. After doing some research, it would appear that the preamp is more of a weak link. One guy installed the mk5's along with the usa bart preamp and ended up putting the cheapo mk1 pickups back in(along with the usa preamp!!)...the mk1's are i think split/reverse P style so with that in mind, fed with a decent pre, could sound good.

I myself are looking towards the john east uni-pre 5....i may change pickups at a later date...we will see!

Anyway, good luck with the mods and let us all know what you think when done.

I have Big Singles in mine with the standard pre, surprisingly they work really well together.

IMAG1006.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, benh said:

I'd say it sounds more "open" if that makes sense, maybe easier to convey dynamics would be a better way of putting it. 

That sounds like a good description of a Delano pickups me. I have J and MM types Delanos in 2 different basses (HEM2s IIRC), they are very articulate and take bass boost very well without becoming muddy. 

The Big Singles/Splits have a great 'rudeness' about them when you dig in and they look fab IMO. Certainly not quiet and retiring pickups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

That sounds like a good description of a Delano pickups me. I have J and MM types Delanos in 2 different basses (HEM2s IIRC), they are very articulate and take bass boost very well without becoming muddy. 

The Big Singles/Splits have a great 'rudeness' about them when you dig in and they look fab IMO. Certainly not quiet and retiring pickups.

I agree about the Big Splits - they look great and certainly get aggressive when you dig in. I think if I had a second bass I would definitely like something with Nordys in, for a different "flavour". Although the Delanos are no slouch when you dig in either.

• Like 2