Why become a member? ×

Spector pickup/preamp preferences

Marcray

Hi, I know this is a very wide topic or question, but I have little knowledge of Spector basses, yet a Euro has come up for sale at a decent price, with Barts and a Darkglass preamp.  Sounds attractive to me, but I had set myself on possibly trying the 1979, and maybe this isn’t the best reason but the bottom end from those DiMarzio pickups was a noticeable jump while I was watching a comparison video recently.   I like a sound that edges towards too much bottom, Im not looking to hear every note with hifi clarity, a scoop, nice but not harsh highs.

what insight can you give me if any?  And if you have a Spector configuration that you feel is must have or for some reason better than others, then let me know why.  
Thanks 🙂

My personal favourite configuration for a Spector is EMG humbuckers with an Aguilar OBP3 - it's a very versatile and powerful combination. Sorry I can't comment on the Barts and Darkglass configuration (though I'd imagine that too has some power)

Edited by three

@cetera I summon thee 4 string Spector master

I myself have experience mostly with 5-6 string Spectors and my favorite combo is X series EMG pus with Hazlab preamps. 

4 string pjs are somewhat different, I have one Euro 435 with EMG X series PJ with Aguilar obp which I like and a 1977 le which I love. 

3 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

I myself have experience mostly with 5-6 string Spectors and my favorite combo is X series EMG pus with Hazlab preamps. 

4 string pjs are somewhat different, I have one Euro 435 with EMG X series PJ with Aguilar obp which I like and a 1977 le which I love. 

Were my ears deceiving me when I (on a YouTube comparison) heard a boost in bottom end with the DiMarzio pickup?  

The thing is, there are so many reasons/factors why you might have heard a boost in bottom end with the DiMarzio... that’s pretty much impossible if that was really coming from the PU.

EMG or Barto won’t let you down with low end. At least not more than Maple might. Also all of that is pretty subjective. I would personally don’t think any Spector lack bottom end. But again, it’s all very subjective.

I understand why people (you) ask those kind of questions, I do too...but in my experience, I rarely bought an instrument that I had shortlisted on YouTube (and vice versa). Those YouTube videos just aren’t reliable. Especially if not a comparison made by the same guy in the same conditions (fingers, strings, amps, recording device). And even that... Is just not.

Also take into account the gear you might be using to listen to those videos (not even talking about how compressed the sound was).

Edited by julfam

26 minutes ago, julfam said:

The thing is, there are so many reasons/factors why you might have heard a boost in bottom end with the DiMarzio... that’s pretty much impossible if that was really coming from the PU.

EMG or Barto won’t let you down with low end. At least not more than Maple might. Also all of that is pretty subjective. I would personally don’t think any Spector lack bottom end. But again, it’s all very subjective.

I understand why people (you) ask those kind of questions, I do too...but in my experience, I rarely bought an instrument that I had shortlisted on YouTube (and vice versa). Those YouTube videos just aren’t reliable. Especially if not a comparison made by the same guy in the same conditions (fingers, strings, amps, recording device). And even that... Is just not.

Also take into account the gear you might be using to listen to those videos (not even talking about how compressed the sound was).

The video doesn’t really have much to do with it, even though it was quite noticeable and the guys actually talked about it.  I guess I’m trying to tap more into people’s personal experience.  My only experience with Spector was using a borrowed Kramer era version on an album many many years ago.  It was nice, but a little “uninteresting”.  Because everyone was using them at the time. 

18 hours ago, Marcray said:

...a Euro has come up for sale at a decent price, with Barts and a Darkglass preamp. 

I have a EuroLT in this configuration, bought it about six months ago.  Can't fault it, plays nicely (it didn't when I got it), suits me tonally, lovely for recording, drives nicely when pushed through my talaent boosters. 

Over many posts I think I've harped on in debates about pickups/preamps, active/passive, neckdive (whaaaaat?), Gibson v. Fender etc etc.  I'm currently running six basses, covering an extremely broad purchase price range.  I'll go again here and say that in general, I know what I want to sound like (dUg/Geddy) and that I don't have any really issue dialling that in, whatever the bass.  Insofar as Spectors go, I prefer the visual aesthetic of a PJ pickup configuration over soaps, but to be honest irrespective of the preamp/pickups, you should be able to dial in what you want easily enough.

Try a few.  See what you like.  Buy.

15 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

I hear you, oh faithful Paulhauser! lol!

To address the original question, you won't find low end lacking in any decent Spector, no matter what preamp/pickups are present. I have experience with Barts & EMGs in Spectors and much prefer the EMGs. They are just the perfect match for the Spector construction and aesthetic to me. Preamp-wise my faves are the US Hazlab and the Tonepump with trimpot, I also like the Aguilar OBP and EMG BT circuit but I'm not feeling the Darkglass.....

• Like 1