Why become a member? ×

EMG Dave Ellefson set - any good?

Nibody

Considering buyind a Dave Ellefson signature EMG set for my "FrankenSpector" 5 string. It comprises of a 40DC and a 40CS. Does anyone have any experience of this combination, worth getting or not? It's going to be coupled with a Mickahlic Designs BP-4 (basicaly a TonePump before Spector buys them and sticks their logo and premium on top) which is taking a long time to get here from the Czech Republic. Finger hovering over the pay £169 button. Or would I be better going for, say, a pair of DC's or some other combination. Option three is to stay on the passive side and buy a single HZ (I already have via ebay a sole EMG-SSD and I believe they are pretty much a SSD)?

I have the DC in at least one bass; can't remember just which model is in the neck position,  but the overall effect is gorgeous, for my taste at least. I may even have changed the neck pickup once or twice, might be a P5.. that's one of the interesting things with the shape: if you fancy experimenting later you have many options available with no routing.

For the few quid difference I'd definitely go for the active EMG over the HZ.

From what I read Mr E uses the DC at the bridge and the CS at the neck. Im currently using a pair of Artec Superpower soapbars (Neck and bridge models) with a corresponding SE-2 preamp - to be fair it sounds pretty good, just fancy a bit more oomph (hence the BP-4). not sure if adding actives to the BP-4 (which is notoriously hot in its TonePump skin) is going to be overkill.. lol

I've had 40DC before and the MM5CS which is tonally the same as the 40CS I believe.

I thought they were very good. Definite humbucker sort of tones, really smooth mids and a nice high that wasn't overly bright.

Only thing I did discover was that if used with just the standard tone control and not an EQ system, the tone didn't darken enough for me in that old P bass sort of way.

1 minute ago, fretmeister said:

I've had 40DC before and the MM5CS which is tonally the same as the 40CS I believe.

I thought they were very good. Definite humbucker sort of tones, really smooth mids and a nice high that wasn't overly bright.

Only thing I did discover was that if used with just the standard tone control and not an EQ system, the tone didn't darken enough for me in that old P bass sort of way.

I may just have to pull the trigger on them -  I used to be a purely P bass guy but  Im slowly drifting to the dark side. I do still have one bitser P bass if I need that whole distinctive P sound.

Well I've ordered them from Andertons. Not sure on the time scale as they have to special order them in.. and with covid and everything. My Pre-amp disapeared off the radar somewhere between Czech republic and UK last Thursday =/

4 minutes ago, Nibody said:

Well I've ordered them from Andertons. Not sure on the time scale as they have to special order them in.. and with covid and everything. My Pre-amp disapeared off the radar somewhere between Czech republic and UK last Thursday =/

I think you'll be pleased! I've been playing EMG for over 25 years and love them; for all genres of music. DC's are my favourites but I've a Geezer Butler (passive P) set to put on a bass as soon as I can that promise to also be great!

6 minutes ago, Dood said:

I think you'll be pleased! I've been playing EMG for over 25 years and love them; for all genres of music. DC's are my favourites but I've a Geezer Butler (passive P) set to put on a bass as soon as I can that promise to also be great!

Thanks Dood! If I still had a decent P bass I'd be considering the Geezer signatures. I just have to figure out how to mate the DE set to the BP-4/TonePump (if it ever gets here!!)

3 minutes ago, Nibody said:

Thanks Dood! If I still had a decent P bass I'd be considering the Geezer signatures. I just have to figure out how to mate the DE set to the BP-4/TonePump (if it ever gets here!!)

Hmmm, I can't remember if the kit comes with the pickups, but there is a harness from EMG that allows you to mate EMG quick-connects with "normal bare wires" using an EMG screw terminal block. I've done this on various basses and it works a treat. Given that Spector have used EMG actives and the TonePump preamp together, I am sure that when its connected up it will sound great! :) 

Edited by Dood

4 minutes ago, Dood said:

Hmmm, I can't remember if the kit comes with the pickups, but there is a harness from EMG that allows you to mate EMG quick-connects with "normal bare wires" using an EMG screw terminal block. I've done this on various basses and it works a treat. Given that Spector have used EMG actives and the TonePump preamp together, I am sure that when its connected up it will sound great! :) 

It comes with 2 volume, 2 tones and the little circuitboard thingy everything plugs into - I believe that has screw terminals on one end battery bus I think its called. Going by Petr's circuit diagram should be able to run the two volumes and then output via the bus to the preamp input. Theoreticaly.

b245.jpg

3 minutes ago, Nibody said:

It comes with 2 volume, 2 tones and the little circuitboard thingy everything plugs into - I believe that has screw terminals on one end battery bus I think its called. Going by Petr's circuit diagram should be able to run the two volumes and then output via the bus to the preamp input. Theoreticaly.

b245.jpg

Yes, that's absolutely correct :) 

8 minutes ago, Dood said:

Yes, that's absolutely correct :) 

Im going to have to sacrifice a lead though - the green terminal is BP out, NP out, Signal in and earth. Its realy designed for a selector switch. Dont think it comes with "pig tails" as they call them (wires with bare wire one end, plug the other) but as I wont be using the supplied tones that isnt a problem. Might have to go 18v though as both the pickups and pre use 9v

Edited by Nibody

1 minute ago, Nibody said:

Im going to have to sacrifice a lead though - the green terminal is BP out, NP out, Signal in and earth. Its realy designed for a selector switch.

Surely you're using the volume and tone pots from the EMG set though? They daisy chain down to the circuit board, which only really serves to change the quick connect end in to a screw terminal :) ? The screw terminals connect to the input of the preamp.

Just now, Dood said:

Surely you're using the volume and tone pots from the EMG set though? They daisy chain down to the circuit board, which only really serves to change the quick connect end in to a screw terminal :) ? The screw terminals connect to the input of the preamp.

The BP-4/TonePump has its own Bass/Treble cut/boost

I figure its easier to solder up an unused lead to the quick connect plug than run jumpers from both pickup outs to the feed back into the bus. Begining ro wish Id gone blend rather than v/v.. lol

Just now, Nibody said:

I figure its easier to solder up an unused lead to the quick connect plug than run jumpers from both pickup outs to the feed back into the bus. Begining ro wish Id gone blend rather than v/v.. lol

No, you're still fine, I think it's just a case of getting things in the right place. You'll be able to do this without soldering, I've just looked at a typical VVT set up - it's all good still!

I dont realy need a tone on top of that do I?

sorry, yes ignore the tone thing - I mean, it will work too added in too but no, you won't need it :) 

Thanks for the advice Dood. Still havent forgiven you for the video review that persuaded me how much I needed an MS60-B!

Ha ha ha, I'll end up costing you more money in the future :) :) 

If you need help regarding the above, I've just knocked up a quick video for you. Lemme know if you want it sent over if my words made no sense above :) 

Just now, Dood said:

Ha ha ha, I'll end up costing you more money in the future :) :) 

If you need help regarding the above, I've just knocked up a quick video for you. Lemme know if you want it sent over if my words made no sense above :) 

Oh wait, scrub that - it didn't record my voice lol.. I can do a fresh one if you need.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dood said:

Oh wait, scrub that - it didn't record my voice lol.. I can do a fresh one if you need.

That would be very helpful. No rush as Ive yet to see if Andertons can get them (they assure me they can) as EMG seem to be pushing the X series now

8 minutes ago, Nibody said:

That would be very helpful. No rush as Ive yet to see if Andertons can get them (they assure me they can) as EMG seem to be pushing the X series now

Hopefully this isn't teaching you to suck eggs and I have understood what it was you were meaning!