Why become a member? ×

American Professional Prices Compared to Player

thegummy

No... it really is easy to do it yourself and not with that silly rolling a pen up and down thing... as long as the neck isn't finished in any way.

Just sand it down lightly with a very fine wet and dry block... over the fret ends as well and it it polishes them off as well. Polish with some fine wire wool and give the fretboard some lemon oil for good measure.

I've done it with my current two basses... they've both got a lovely smoothed finish.

Edited by Trueno

21 minutes ago, Trueno said:

No... it really is easy to do it yourself and not with that silly rolling a pen up and down thing... as long as the neck isn't finished in any way.

Just sand it down lightly with a very fine wet and dry block... over the fret ends as well and it it polishes them off as well. Polish with some fine wire wool and give the fretboard some lemon oil for good measure.

I've done it with my current two basses... they've both got a lovely smoothed finish.

The key point being "as long as the neck isn't finished" but when you buy a Fender bass the neck is finished, hence the problem.

2 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I wouldn't have done it on my MIA Jazz with maple board (and didn't need to). Done it on MIM Pau Ferro board and Squier Rosewood.

Ah yeah if they still did rosewood on the Mexicans I'd genuinely consider that in order to do the edge roll thing but I just don't like pau ferro.

There's a good chance this won't be an issue even if the Player doesn't have the rolled edges - on 6 string guitar it's a total deal breaker for me but I hold the bass neck differently so hopefully it won't even be an issue for bass, I'll just need to wait til I try the Player to see (unless anyone has the info that either the Player does have rolled edges or the Professional basses don't).

14 minutes ago, thegummy said:

Ah yeah if they still did rosewood on the Mexicans I'd genuinely consider that in order to do the edge roll thing but I just don't like pau ferro.

There's a good chance this won't be an issue even if the Player doesn't have the rolled edges - on 6 string guitar it's a total deal breaker for me but I hold the bass neck differently so hopefully it won't even be an issue for bass, I'll just need to wait til I try the Player to see (unless anyone has the info that either the Player does have rolled edges or the Professional basses don't).

I took a punt on the pau ferro, it actually has some very nice figuring on it. I'm not that analytical to notice differences in feel and tone between the two... maple... yes.

I've had MIA, MIM, CIJ and Squiers. To me, the difference in quality (and materials) has generally been commensurate with the price. My MIA Jazz was fantastic quality... but I was moving on to short scale for various reasons.

I'm currently very happy with Squier and MIM and there is always to option to swap out electronics and pickups... if the basic quality is worth it.

8 minutes ago, Trueno said:

I took a punt on the pau ferro, it actually has some very nice figuring on it. I'm not that analytical to notice differences in feel and tone between the two... maple... yes.

I've had MIA, MIM, CIJ and Squiers. To me, the difference in quality (and materials) has generally been commensurate with the price. My MIA Jazz was fantastic quality... but I was moving on to short scale for various reasons.

I'm currently very happy with Squier and MIM and there is always to option to swap out electronics and pickups... if the basic quality is worth it.

For me it's nothing to do with feel or tone - even with rosewood vs maple - it's just the look. The pau ferro is a lot lighter and has a kind of orange tint to it. The Player precision with the orange body actually looks quite good with the pau ferro, which makes sense, but I had decided on black with maple for looks. Now you've reminded me about the possibility of rounding the edges on a pau ferro board though I might have to think about it.

I think I'll try out the Player and if the square edges bother me then I can look at the option of getting a pau ferro/orange bass and round it myself rather than having to pay an extra grand for that feature. So I'm very glad you brought it up - cheers!

Just sharing this info that I've found while researching this - you can buy a Professional neck and a Player bass and the combined price is still cheaper than a Professional bass.

Obviously there is a lot more to the bass than the neck but if the neck shape or feel, fret style, lack of graphite rods or the fretboard material are any of the things swinging your decision it's something to think about.

For me it's a very useful option because if I got a Player but after a while got annoyed about the square edges I could chance the neck and not feel like I wasted a lot of money.

I do really like the idea of the fluted tuners as well though - anyone got one to comment on them? As much as I like them in theory, I don't know if I currently have a problem that they would solve.