Why become a member? ×

Peavey Classic 20

shine182

So, the Ashdown stubby 30 is on its way back to Ashdown Enginering to figure out what got busted in post when they sent it to me. Lacking a bass amp again in desperation I plugged my peavey classic 20 guitar head into the 410 and musicman hoping to get a sound I could bear to listen too in the interim. Well call me Terrance and smear me in butter the sound it produced on the clean channel at practice volume was actually pretty darn good. I flicked the inbuilt attenuator thing from 20watt to 1watt and low and behold fat valve goodness. Admittedly I've farted louder before it reached the onset of breakup, but for practice I'm quite pleased with it. Anyone else tried a valve guitar head into a bass cab before? Appreciate it might not be all that good for either the amp nor speakers long term etc. 

8 hours ago, paul_5 said:

I once ran my fretless Jazz into a fender deville -‘‘twas a joyous experience!

A Deville (especially in 4x10 mode) not a million miles away from a Fender Bassman combo, guitar amp originally designed for bass. 

I’ve gigged with a Marshall valve guitar head for bass. My bass head had died so had to use it, wasn’t too bad either.  Conversely back in the day a lot of guitarists preferred Marshall bass amps to guitar models! Musicman used to make an amp (HD150 ?) suitable for both which had a valve power amp, sounded immense.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shine182 said:

Anyone else tried a valve guitar head into a bass cab before? Appreciate it might not be all that good for either the amp nor speakers long term etc.

Pretty sure you won't hurt the amplifier, it's the speakers that are prone to failure if 'abused' by bass guitar frequencies.

• Like 1