Why become a member? ×

Single Coil Precision

thegummy

Anyone else find it a bit strange that there's a Squier single coil P (as in, not split coil) but not a Fender one available apart from extremely expensive custom shop models?

When was the last time there was one as a normal Fender model?

Anyone know of one from another brand in the 500-1500 range?

Most folk build their own but a couple spring to mind.

Mike Donner's Crackercaster.

http://www.guitarrepairoftampabay.com/crackercaster-4.asp

Bach Music.

http://www.bachmusik.com/en/music-instruments/bass-guitars/model-bach-bpb-60

Retrovibe announced the Django earlier this year. Those were medium scale and I'm not sure how many Dave built.

Image may contain: guitar and outdoor

• Thanks 1

Cheers man, very much appreciate the links.

I did think of building from parts but the few bodies I could find didn't appeal to me and every time I think of painting my own I look up how to do it and remember what a massive pullava it seems.

Not think it's strange that there's a Squier model but no Fender branded?

Since I've been playing bass there hasn't been a Fender one either, I wonder how long ago there was one.

I just find it surprising that there's a Squier model that is unique in the range without a more expensive equivalent. Would expect maybe a Vintera 50s bass with the single coil.

Back from about 93 til about 2003 there was the Japan 51 RI, came in blone and an incorrect 2-tone burst. And around 2002 MIJ did a limited run of blue flower and pink paisley finish on the contour 54/55 style body. And of course the Sting signature P released to the rest of the world, although only in Japan they also did it without the Sting inlay. Not many of those floating around. 

• Like 2

I am in the middle of a build, it’s actually not that much of a hassle, just patience is required. I sourced everything second hand and traded etc (aside from paint) very satisfying and I will get exactly what I want

Edited by Cuzzie
Sausage thumb typing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I am in the middle of a build, it’s actually not that much of a hassle, just patience is required. I sourced everything second hand and traded etc (aside from paint) very satisfying and I will get exactly what I want

Wish I had the patience for a paint job.

1 minute ago, thegummy said:

Wish I had the patience for a paint job.

Nitro spray cans - Dartford are the best I have used.

make sure the body is well prepped, do max 3 coats in one sitting 15-20 mins apart, leave 24 hours, repeat as required.

Its not too bad, 

I’ve had a hankering for a butterscotch ‘51 (preferably a ‘54, actually, with contouring) for quite some time, but they never seem to come up... I’ve driven myself mad researching custom parts, but after shipping/customs (am in the Netherlands) it tends to get a bit expensive for a parts build. :(

Nice job on the sort-of ‘51 @Cuzzie!

1 hour ago, Danuman said:

I’ve had a hankering for a butterscotch ‘51 (preferably a ‘54, actually, with contouring) for quite some time, but they never seem to come up... I’ve driven myself mad researching custom parts, but after shipping/customs (am in the Netherlands) it tends to get a bit expensive for a parts build. :(

Nice job on the sort-of ‘51 @Cuzzie!

Thanks for that - getting parts can be a pain and expensive so I tried making my own aside from a neck of course, if you have a friendly carpenter near you, you may be able to do one!

Something that makes the lack of a Fender model even stranger, in a way, is that until recently they sold the old style neck (i.e. with the Tele shaped headstock) as a spare part but not a body with the old style pickup. The neck is still available in some shops.