Why become a member? ×

HIWATT GEAR

rohan

I had a Hiwatt head many years ago.

Bought for next to bugger all cos the guy selling it had no idea of its value. (Back before the days when everyone had the internet, see?)

I was a guitar-only kinda guy at the time. Loved the sound of it, but wanted something with a clean / dirty channel and footswitch. Tried various distortion pedals, but nothing seemed to work for me. Ended up buying a Marshall JMP-1 and a valvestate power amp, and flogging the Hiwatt to the bass player in my band..... for next to bugger all cos I had no idea of its real value either.

Last I heard, he's still got it and not planning to part with it until he dies.

One day, I WILL have another..... they ooze pure awesomeness.

Did the sound the other week for a band who had one of the new 200w bass heads and one of their 4x10's. He had a Rick going through it and it sounded glorious. The support used it with a Jazz too and that was gorgeous too. I'd dearly love one, or two. The guitarist had one of their new amps as well and that sounded fantastic too.

The new Hiwatts are not rated very highly by a lot of guitarists. (for my sins, I am a guitarist, so I talk their language)

[url="http://www.vintagehiwattrestorations.com/"]These guys seem to be quite highly rated[/url] they have involved Mark Huss, who's something of an authority on all things Hiwatt. The downside is importing and putting it together.

Personally, I've not tried one of the new Hiwatts, so I'm inclined to take the comments with a little pinch of salt, until I get to see/hear them for myself.

See if you can find somewhere that stocks them and give them a try, see what you think.