Why become a member? ×

Pubs opening July 4th - Gigs?

ClassicVibes

Initially (first time hearing the briefing) I thought "no change" so I went back and listened to it carefully again. Its a bit vague. He said "we will restart indoor performances to a live audience subject to the success of pilots.....in the autumn" but then goes on to say again the Aug 1 date. 

I think the message is too vague to make an informed decision.  I will wait for an update to the written guidelines.

I didn't see Bojo's addres, but it seems to me the message is more geared towards professional performances in "proper" entertainment venues such as seated theatres and auditoriums. I think weekend warrior pub gigs are at the bottom of the list for the time being.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53442172

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

I'm astonished no one has picked up on the requirement for singers to have a 3m exclusion zone around them (unless people stand back to back, for instance if you have two singers) - same for brass! And that's outdoors (I think)! 😧

The virus is still around running at 650 new cases a day in the uk. Below is the data by age and sex - quite startling really. 

image.thumb.png.d2a15a6fe9147f57f03b2e5fff82617c.png

And if you're in the US the deaths are on the up again

image.thumb.png.03f7d7e1ee9652f4b94218f2c954d1b1.png

Just saying - you sometimes get the vibe the problem is over 😐

Edited by drTStingray

Its quite clear that dedicated venues are going to be in the queue ahead of eg pubs. But that it will be quite some time before its back to anything near normal, or even viable to do it. I think we need to seriously look at the prospect of any smaller outdoor venues, while there still is (the hope of reasonable) summer weather

58 minutes ago, mikebass456 said:

Latest update on pubs and restaurants guidance still states that live music in front of live audiences should not be permitted........

Just seen that too:

“Land or buildings where the primary use is not the performance of live music (e.g. a restaurant or public house) should not be considered a live music performance venue.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-planning-update-on-cultural-venues-and-holiday-parks--2

Edited by Greg Edwards69

On 13/07/2020 at 10:48, Maude said:

Business wise it's not great to play by the rules, there's the pubs that found out someone who had been in there tested positive so the pub did the right thing and notified the relevant people and got shut down for two weeks, some landlords might think it best not to take details and keep quiet. 

Somebody didn't think that rule through.

Duh!

I play the music of the Grateful Dead (known as the dead) to groups of people who call themselves Deadheads. 

So we should be exempt from the prohibition about playing live music to a live audience, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I said straight away that unfortunately football would drive the return to normality, rather than a more valid solution.

Football went back earlier than everyone else who was non essential.

Now, I saw that crowds would be allowed back to watch from Sep/Oct. Well, they're not gonna sit in silence, and you'll have thousands, if not tens of thousands shouting and screaming, so I'd imagine we'll be looking at the same time for returning to gigging.

58 minutes ago, la bam said:

I said straight away that unfortunately football would drive the return to normality, rather than a more valid solution.

Football went back earlier than everyone else who was non essential.

Now, I saw that crowds would be allowed back to watch from Sep/Oct. Well, they're not gonna sit in silence, and you'll have thousands, if not tens of thousands shouting and swearing, so I'd imagine we'll be looking at the same time for returning to gigging.

There you go!

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

8th August. That's when we get our first post-Covid gig.

In theory, 8th August is our first gig that hasn't  yet been cancelled. In practice, with 2 band members over 70 and one of them with an interesting medical history, I don' t think it's going to happen.

I don't think it'll be rescheduled either. When the band leader booked it, he described it as a 'social club'. Didn't mention that it's actually a Conservative club. They might be needing a dep accordion player, if you know of anyone.

On Tuesday my main band will have the first rehearsal since this started. At a local venue.

They've made it available to us and we pay the sound guy who will be there. It works out only marginally more expensive than the usual rehearsal studio rates and we've got the whole place to us. We figured it was a very reasonable way to help in some small way a place that helped us a lot.

On Saturday we'll go back, and have our first 'virtual' gig that will be live-streamed by the venue, and we'll record the audio plus film it using a bunch of static cameras and 2-3 people with hand-held ones.

If someone, a year ago, had told me that I would be this excited to be able to play like this, I would not have believed them.

Strange strange times.

• Like 1

We have a possible gig. It's a nice outdoors setting. A sit down and drink and eat in the sunshine Sunday afternoon and we get to the playing area from the road. SD is maintained and I'm relaxed about doing it.

The nervousness is rising now because the band leader wants to rehearse. I'm still isolating and right now I'm not sure I want to be cooped up in a small room with a bunch of guys I haven't seen for 6 months.

This might be my only gig for the rest of the year so I'd rather not cancel. . . . . . . . it's a dilemma.

Edited by chris_b

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah that's tricky. How about asking the non singers at rehearsal to wear a mask? 

We’ve got our first rehearsal on Weds, hadn’t thought of that but think it’s a good idea - especially as none of us sing anyway.