Why become a member? ×

Pubs opening July 4th - Gigs?

ClassicVibes

33 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Very jealous!

Yeah, also looks like Wannasee in Penrith is going ahead which is mighty as I think we are headlining the Sunday night. Still got a few drive in Festivals booked too. Just wanna gig, last live stream was good fun, almost 100k have watched it and/or tuned in live which was mental. Raising money for a venue and they did well so all good. Hopefully we are all back out there soon

• Like 2

The guidance for pubs and restaurants etc  has been updated again yesterday as well, but the section on live music (section 4.5) remains unchanged, stating that live performances in front of live audiences should not be permitted.

This suggests that it's only the formal 'professional ' performances that are correctly controlled can go ahead.

makes sense, as I think that pub staff still have enough do deal with without the added problems of a live band in the beer garden.......

Edited by mikebass456

13 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I think most of the rules are just guidelines, at least half  of the 6ish pubs I've been in didn't take any contact details

I meant more in general everyday life, but yes from what I've heard pubs aren't doing a great job of sticking to guidelines. But then it's kind of a pointless vicious circle really, a pub can adhere to guidelines and sell alcohol to people knowing that the more they sell the less people will adhere to guidelines. Business wise it's not great to play by the rules, there's the pubs that found out someone who had been in there tested positive so the pub did the right thing and notified the relevant people and got shut down for two weeks, some landlords might think it best not to take details and keep quiet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The drummer of the 3 piece second project I joined late last year seems keen to honour a gig we have in late August. The gig itself on paper doesnt look too problematic as its outside and hopefully we can get sensible social distancing in place (onstage that is, it'll no doubt be a free for all with the punters but im not going near any of them if i can help it).

I'm more bothered about getting pushed into rehearsals. I'm due to go on holiday mid August and the gig is 2 days after I come back so any rehearsal will have to be early August and I'm still not convinced Pirate are up to snuff, its our only real option to rehearse as a trio.

Edited by KevB

10 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I wonder how many have got sheets of 'M Mouse' and 'A Capone' ?

😎

Now come on - it's not signing for receipt of gig money 😂

Seriously, I've been to three places since the relaxation, a pub (for lunch), an ice cream type cafe and a barbers - all three took names and phone numbers and I just added mine to what appeared to be a legit list each time - I was impressed that the pub had security people and a reception type person - you couldn't go past the entrance (we got an outside table) until there was a socially distanced table free and you were taken to it. 

I noticed the non socially distanced queue outside Wetherspoons when I drove past Friday evening...

However, Im still not 100% on this gig we have booked (outside - birthday party) - we've had no sensible answer from the venue about distancing measures etc. 

Edited by drTStingray

I am not sure if its already been posted, but they issued much more detailed official guidance last week, 9th July:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-2-2

To answer the above....if you're a professional group, outdoor gigs are allowed; if its not a professional one, then the current guidelines relating to meeting others, ie 6 outdoors or 1 other household indoors (and doing social distancing) apply. And, no singing.

As of the 17th over here most of the province except the big cities in the south are allowed 50 indoor and 100 outdoor for concerts/shows. No dancing and appropriate social distancing must be maintained.

Wind instrument players and vocalists MUST be behind protective plexiglass shields and band members are to keep a reasonable distance away from each other. Both bands I'm in have horn players so it will be interesting to see how rehearsals and possible gigs work out, not sure if outdoor events require the plexiglass, the rules are a bit unclear on that but it may not be necessary.

4 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Which bit are you referring to for this?

Its far from clear but it says:

From the 11th July, we will move to Stage Three. This means that performances outdoors with a socially distanced audience can take place in line with this guidance. DCMS will work with sector representative bodies to select a number of pilots for indoor performances with a socially distanced audience. Dance studios can fully reopen from the 25th July, and should follow guidance for providers of grassroots sport and gym/leisure facilities. We expect to say more on a possible date for Stage 4 soon and Stage 5 in due course.

This guidance sets out how performing arts organisations can prepare for and deliver their activities at each of these five stages. This means that not all the guidance set out here will be relevant immediately; organisations should adopt the guidelines insofar as the government permits activities to proceed. Where a premises or venue delivers a mix of services, only those services that are permitted to be open should be available.

Professionals working in the performing arts are permitted to return to their activities in line with this guidance.

Non-professionals (meaning those participating in performing arts other than for work purposes), or groups which include non-professionals, may refer to this guidance for their activities, but must at all times do so in line with government legislation and guidance on meeting people outside your household.

I am interpreting this as saying, for non-professionals the GUIDELINE says an outdoors meeting/gig is max 6 people; and the LAW is 30 people.  For professionals, their guideline/law can exceed 6 people/30 people in accordance to the document, ie at a recognised/licensed outdoors venue (nothing indoors except for some pilots).

So...in theory, a non-professional band of 3 members COULD meet outdoors BUT they could only officially invite 3 audience members (total people, 6 max); but it might be that the noise attracts others who come over and watch it. If the number of people exceeded 30 total, the Police could in theory come and disperse it (and enforce with fines/imprisonment etc) 

The main thing in the section 4 guidance concerns singers and wind instruments (other instruments don't have the following requirement) - it says where there are no other mitigating measures, there should be at least 3 metres between a singer or horn player and audience or other group member (it calls them team but is obviously generic, covering for instance choirs as well) - this all presumes outdoor performance as well.

As we all do backing vocals, the drummer may have to forego his mike or set up facing backwards  😁😂 (he is quite loud) - I think the back line probably will all have to forgo backing vocals and leave that to the two singers with the sax player alongside them at the front - and all of us as far apart as possible (3m) and at least 3 m from the audience. And at a reasonably low volume (to avoid people shouting to speak). 

As its in a pub garden this is all going to be very interesting..... 

Not for 10 days yet!! 

Edited by drTStingray

The whole “professional” thing is an absolute can of worms. What if a band has 4 semi-pro/amateur members and 1 professional member? What if a bunch of pro musos do a free gig (for the exposure 😉), is that still a pro gig? It’s all as clear as mud and only as effective as the enforcement applied. 

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The whole “professional” thing is an absolute can of worms. What if a band has 4 semi-pro/amateur members and 1 professional member? What if a bunch of pro musos do a free gig (for the exposure 😉), is that still a pro gig? It’s all as clear as mud and only as effective as the enforcement applied. 

I think it says somewhere that they all need to be professional. Ie in your first example its a NO; but the second would be YES (IMHO of course!).

You're right though, its not clear and for example, I'm in a band where the band gets paid for gigs, but it goes into the band's account and the individuals aren't paid (not even expenses) per gig. And even if they did pay the individuals, it would be on an "expenses" basis (you can pay up to £100 in expenses, I believe) to avoid issues like PAYE, NI etc. Otherwise they'd need to be paying employers NI and income tax etc....

For example I could ask.....how many of the people on here that do do gigs, get some cash in hand for them, etc declare that money as extra taxable income received and pay NI and tax on it? Are you self employed or employed as such? Were you able to be furloughed and claim 80% of your earnings? Or receive the up to £7500 available for the self employed, based on previous taxable income?????