Why become a member? ×

Pubs opening July 4th - Gigs?

ClassicVibes

2 minutes ago, pete.young said:

From what I am reading and hearing, I think 4th July could be mayhem and I am glad that I don' t have anything in the diary. I'll be avoiding pubs even more than normal on that day. Some of the local pubs are talking about not opening until 6th.

There is a lot of use of 'should' in the guidelines : pubs 'should' obtain details of customers in case they need to be traced and tested, etc. To me, should means must: it's the same as shall. But to many people (including some international standards committees who go out of their way to redefine the word) it means, 'well maybe this would be a nice idea but don't stress if it doesn't happen'.

I think its to do with underlying legislation. They're not legislating, just releasing guidelines. Some aspects of different Covid-19 restrictions are written into law but a lot aren't. 

Of course, if some incident were to happen, and then someone tried to sue the pub later on, they could use the fact that they went against a "should" in government guidance.

But then, there's lots of pubs who would say that doesn't apply to us; and/or we can mitigate the risk in another way, so having a law which they'd technically need to break rather than a guideline would be too restrictive and not the intention.

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Can we try and keep this on topic guys and not make it a Covid thread part 2? Thanks. 

Surely the Covid issue IS on topic for getting back playing because that is what stopped everyone.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I know of one place in my gigging circle that is still planning on putting on a band outdoor on 4th July.  All others (including the one my band was booked for) are no longer going ahead since reviewing the guidelines. Interestingly the one place that is still going ahead is saying "well, they're only guidelines, we'll be ok"..... 

Is anyone booked to play? 

Same in mine, actually an outdoor all dayer with a ton of acoustic acts playing.  It just shouldn’t be happening.

26 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

every idiot that ever there was is going to be off their heads at a venue near you (music or no)

😎

I've a feeling the Government will regret picking a Saturday for the reopening of pubs, a Monday would have been far more sensible, given everybody more time to get used to the guidelines before a busy weekend, and if it's a nice sunny day it'll be even worse

• Like 4

There is quite a dilemma for us here isn't there? 

the first is that we owe loyalty to other band members, and they to us. Two of mine depend upon their band income to pay their bills and support their families, tow of us don't. I'm the oldest band member but I've had the disease and the others haven't. We also have a responsibility to the audiences and the community as a whole. Government advice is confused and now based upon economic imperatives rather than primarily health concerns. I'd find it tough if I played at an event which triggered another localised outbreak. I'm going to talk to the band and see what they think and I'll almost certainly trust the majority decision but it isn't a simple one. It's tough to turn down a pub you play in regularly and have a relationship with.

It's hard to fathom Govt thinking but how about quiet music? Two of our band members go out as a duo and I am part of a separate duo. I can see more work for acoustic acts over the next few moths and maybe for a while. Our current band set is designed to get people up and dancing. That's an interesting  challenge, design a set to stop people dancing 😔

• Like 2

The root of the problem is this 'should' wording in the Government publications; they're trying to have their cake and eat it - it would be very, very simple to replace the 'should's with 'it will be illegal to', but they just don't want to do it (for whatever reason, but that's far too political for here) and their lack of commitment means that an awful lot of people will take the 'should' as an option. Especially when senior Government advisors have been seen to flout the strongest Government rules without censure of any sort.

As I mentioned before, the bit about no loud background music is complete nonsense...

• Like 1

Neither of my bands has anything solid booked yet, but we have three venues so far which want me to call them in the week following 11th July (NOT 4th July, you'll notice).

No promises, of course, but it's clear that many pubs - especially those known to be serious music venues - are watching those first two weekends very closely and want to be ready to move fast if the anticipated carnage doesn't happen.

Incidentally, whilst I agree that 4th July will be an absolute zoo, I'm not at all convinced that the references previously on this Topic to wild and drunken debauchery with added violence bear much resemblance to reality. Social distancing + table service only + too few bar staff + no experience of operating like this = no real chance of having too many drinks, no matter how much you may want to get legless.

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Neither of my bands has anything solid booked yet, but we have three venues so far which want me to call them in the week following 11th July (NOT 4th July, you'll notice).

Sudden panic there :) do we have a booking for 4th. No thank goodness

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

^ ^ ^  You are assuming that all pubs will play by the rules, irrespective of how many yobs turn up......

😎

I'm assuming that the first Saturday will be heavily policed, and that landlords have more sense than to allow the rules to be broken just yet!

It's hard to imagine a faster licence-loser than allowing wild & reckless behaviour on the very day that the pubs re-open.

2 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Sudden panic there :) do we have a booking for 4th. No thank goodness

I have bookings for 3rd, 4th, 10th, 11th, 17th, etc. but sadly they're all cancelled. Still on the wall chart next to me, mind ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

. Our current band set is designed to get people up and dancing. That's an interesting  challenge, design a set to stop people dancing 😔

I guess Prog Rock may just become very popular then...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

It's hard to fathom Govt thinking but how about quiet music? Two of our band members go out as a duo and I am part of a separate duo. I can see more work for acoustic acts over the next few moths and maybe for a while. Our current band set is designed to get people up and dancing. That's an interesting  challenge, design a set to stop people dancing 😔

As a long term straight ahead jazz performer and a general weirdo, no problem there at all. And I like it that way!

• Haha 2

Devon Live :

One of Exeter's most popular pubs has confirmed it is ready to reopen - but won't welcome customers back until it can be sure everybody is going to behave.

The Prospect Inn on Exeter Quay fears 'Super Saturday' could be more like 'Black Eye Friday' due to the nation's pent-up longing for a pint.

While it is finalising plans to get customers back through the door it won't do so until July 4 is out of the way. Instead the pub will wait until July 9 to reopen.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Just announced: "Gov. Greg Abbott orders Texas bars to close again and restaurants to reduce to 50% occupancy as coronavirus spreads." 

The UK in two month's time?

Why wait that long? Surely the beaches are enough of a gauge of what's likely to happen..........😠😠

• Like 4

22 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Devon Live :

One of Exeter's most popular pubs has confirmed it is ready to reopen - but won't welcome customers back until it can be sure everybody is going to behave.

The Prospect Inn on Exeter Quay fears 'Super Saturday' could be more like 'Black Eye Friday' due to the nation's pent-up longing for a pint.

While it is finalising plans to get customers back through the door it won't do so until July 4 is out of the way. Instead the pub will wait until July 9 to reopen.

Will they be doing regular live gigs again? They disappeared from the scene for a while. I always enjoyed playing there even if the drums were always deafening in the alcove.

21 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The UK in two month's time?

In two months time, Britain will be full of people who travelled on a crowded plane (with recirculatory air supply) to Spain, spent two weeks partying in pubs & clubs (mainly with other Brits), travelled back to the UK on another crowded plane (with recirculatory air supply), there to be greeted by reminders that it is awfully awfully unsafe to go and see a band play at their local.

The sooner we abandon this hypocritical sham, the better.

Will there be a second peak? Yup. And a third and a fourth. Get used to it. It's now part of your life, my life, and everybody else's life.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Leicester looking more likely to have an extended two week lockdown. Bad news for the pubs. 

Well, that's at least two weeks I won't have to drive up to Leicester to rehearse!

The government has a plan but no time scale.

Stage One - Rehearsal and training (no audiences and adhering to social distancing guidelines)

Stage Two - Performances for broadcast and recording purposes (adhering to social distancing guidelines)

Stage Three - Performances outdoors with an audience plus pilots for indoor performances with a limited distance audience

Stage Four - Performances allowed indoors/outdoors (but with a limited distanced audience indoors)

Stage Five - Performances allowed indoors/outdoors (with a fuller audience indoors)