Why become a member? ×

Pubs opening July 4th - Gigs?

ClassicVibes

53 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

But of those that re-open, they certainly won't be rushing to have live music back any time soon. There might be a handful of places which do low-key (I don't mean Ab minor stuff....) musical performances, eg a jazz pianist or maybe even a quartet.

Jazz pianists, piano or guitar trios etc. might be fair enough. Singing or horn playing could well be further than some venues would want to go:

https://slippedisc.com/2020/06/a-full-assessment-of-the-covid-risk-of-playing-wind-instruments/ 

(TL;DR no-one seems to have any definitive information).

Edited by knirirr

5 minutes ago, knirirr said:

(TL;DR no-one seems to have any definitive information).

That's been not unusual since day one - it's unfair to whole sections of the population

that stuff like this looks suspiciously as if made up on the hoof.

(apologies for minor derail)

😎

• Like 1

I am hoping that the bands can play outdoors at pubs big enough to do that, round Hertfordshire plenty do this kind of thing as a "festival" but then I think:

How does the landlord manage social distancing when they've got enough to worry about running the business in a completely new way and with potentially huge debts racked up? 

Does the band get paid? I'd play for free for venues and people I know in these circumstances, but for some of my bandmates they have to give up paid work to play music so it needs to be worthwhile for them, they simply can't do it for nothing. 

27 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

How does the landlord manage social distancing when they've got enough to worry about running the business in a completely new way and with potentially huge debts racked up?

Around here several pubs are open to serve customers, but you then have to leave the premises and stand around on the pavement social distancing, except most of them aren't. 

3 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Around here several pubs are open to serve customers, but you then have to leave the premises and stand around on the pavement social distancing, except most of them aren't. 

Yeah, I've had reliable reports of some pubs offering a "takeaway" service since lockdown began, largely those with outside seating or on village greens

A mate on the Isle of Man sent me an e-mail yesterday gloating about their pubs having been open for a while now - they banned all non-residents and brought in the 14 day quarantine period quite early on, and currently have no Covid-19 cases on the island.  He tells me that it's pretty much back to normal.  He's a drummer and plays his first gig since lockdown this weekend. The git

• Like 1

I only have 1 gig left surviving on either of my bands' diaries for this year, and that's my son's wedding evening in October. Neither band will be actively looking to make any new bookings this year even if the pubs do open up again... I think we're all just writing 2020 off as a mad dystopian nightmare and starting afresh next year.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

A mate on the Isle of Man sent me an e-mail yesterday gloating about their pubs having been open for a while now ...  He's a drummer and plays his first gig since lockdown this weekend. The git

When you next speak to him, tell him I think he's a git too.

• Haha 2

I suspect that we/they/whoever it is are just lining up guinea pigs. Get the pubs open, fill 'em with p!ssheads and see what happens. Same with the crowds that just can't wait to get on a plane to Benidorm. 

If they all start dropping like flies then we'd better reign it in a bit. If they're OK, maybe we can relax a bit more. 

• Like 3

I really don't see pub gigs happening for bands in earnest until sometime next year. I'll be happy just to get back to rehearsals..

A lot of bands will have members who are still concerned about catching the virus so may not be in a hurry to get back to gigging for a while, the pubs will need time to get their operations up and running again properly having had a long lay-off just to serve punters drinks and food, and I'm not totally sure they (the pubs) will have the necessary funding to pay bands for a while anyway. I still think bands may end up playing for next to nothing for quite a while. Whether some bands choose to do that, is a decision for each one to make.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, louisthebass said:

I really don't see pub gigs happening for bands in earnest until sometime next year. I'll be happy just to get back to rehearsals..

A lot of bands will have members who are still concerned about catching the virus so may not be in a hurry to get back to gigging for a while, the pubs will need time to get their operations up and running again properly having had a long lay-off just to serve punters drinks and food, and I'm not totally sure they (the pubs) will have the necessary funding to pay bands for a while anyway. I still think bands may end up playing for next to nothing for quite a while. Whether some bands choose to do that, is a decision for each one to make.

The problem is, there are many businesses whose business model is somewhat marginal and they need some kind of incentive to get punters in (be it a shop, pub, website app, widget factory selling stuff, etc etc) to be profitable. With Covid 19 and the required social distancing that goes with it, many businesses are simply unviable. Fortunately, the government is artificially propping many of these up with a humongous financing package. Put simply, pubs don't need or want bands at the moment.

Maybe one day, environments such as pubs etc won't need to impose social distancing - the idea being, if the virus is sufficiently quelled and the ability to test/track/trace is well-developed enough, then an outbreak can be known about and acted upon swiftly enough to make a difference. Also there's other factors such as people's awareness and possible treatments. And of course it would rely on the number of people with it to be sufficiently low too. 

Only once we're in that area, will government not need to 1) restrict the operation of pubs quite so much and 2) offer that financial support. At that point, pub gigs should return.

BUT.....in the meantime, we're in a "new normal"TM situation. Bands could and should adapt, there are other opportunities in addition to pub gigging. They just take some amount of effort to accomplish and an amount of determination to achieve. Personally the example which comes to mind is a drive-in/open air gig. Its summertime after all, apparently.....at least for a few more days.

23 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

The problem is, there are many businesses whose business model is somewhat marginal and they need some kind of incentive to get punters in (be it a shop, pub, website app, widget factory selling stuff, etc etc) to be profitable. With Covid 19 and the required social distancing that goes with it, many businesses are simply unviable. Fortunately, the government is artificially propping many of these up with a humongous financing package. Put simply, pubs don't need or want bands at the moment.

Think you've pretty much mirrored my thoughts there @paul_c2. Pubs first instinct will be to sell beer and in some cases initially sell food. Bands are way down the food chain as far as they're concerned, so I think anyone getting too excited about the stuff that's been announced are getting ahead of themselves. 

As the scientists have said, this thing is in for the duration and the economy is being reopened to see if the human race can (somehow) live alongside it. Whether that was the right choice remains to be seen.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I suspect that's very close to the governments real programme. I can't say I agree with it, but on the other hand, I have no idea what else to suggest. It's a fine line between a financial disaster (with all the attendant problems including premature deaths which that brings) and allowing 'nature to take its course'. I wouldn't mind betting that Boris J. wishes Teresa May had hung on to the job for a few more months!

As much as I think Buffoon J is making a hash of it he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. Stay in extended lockdown and emerge to a financial wasteland isn't an option. 

6 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Sticking to the topic of pub gigs, I think its fair to say that today's new guidelines will only be able to be implemented by a subset of pubs - I suspect most will be keen to at least try it, rather than remain closed.

But of those that re-open, they certainly won't be rushing to have live music back any time soon. There might be a handful of places which do low-key (I don't mean Ab minor stuff....) musical performances, eg a jazz pianist or maybe even a quartet.

I think for the vast majority of us, its no change and still "watch this space". I've tried to find details of any government consultation with the arts industry, without any luck - the Making Music website doesn't have up-to-date details, for example.

I doubt Earth, Wind and Fire will be gigging anywhere 😂

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm so glad the scientific situation has changed so substantially from a couple of months ago. They sorted the vaccine quick, didn't they?

Oh, wait...

You just being really negative. They can do it because they've got such an effective tracing app.

Oh, bugger...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can't see it being viable for bands to play inside. The report I've just seen on the news says that people won't be allowed to stand and drink inside.

You could play outside, but my guess would be that most places would want the space for punters.

10 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

I can't see it being viable for bands to play inside. The report I've just seen on the news says that people won't be allowed to stand and drink inside.

You could play outside, but my guess would be that most places would want the space for punters.

not if they have a stage, we play quite a few pubs with beer gardens or outside seating (lucky for them as we're quite loud). I can and hope to see a situation whereby we play outside , TBH i'd happily play for a big reduced fee just to keep match fit for 2021

Unless I misunderstood, live performances are definitely not permitted - in fact a pub operator which normally has live music was interviewed on the evening news and expressed concern that their pub will not be viable without it  - theatres etc are permitted to open 😳 Presumably for socially distanced coffee etc?

Presumably the level of Covid 19 will gradually increase and the next big spike will be a couple of months after the start of winter (it apparently thrives in colder conditions - a bit like the flu). Interesting to hear the 'herd immunity' phrase trotted out again - hands up anyone who's ever had flu? Do you reckon you've ever, in your lifetime developed herd immunity to it?? The highest modelled estimated deaths in the current pandemic for the UK, with no control measures was 1/2 million - I would imagine a new lockdown will start but there would be pressure for it not to occur before Christmas - to avoid too much negative economic effect. 

I too shall be being very careful about getting back to gigging, much as I would like to. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

where is it and what does it do?

Click on your username top right then click ignored users, you can block the content of named users so you don’t, see what they post or get alerts. You can still see quoted posts but it can make life that little bit nicer if there is someone who just posts stuff you don’t like/ is rude or whatever. I am a mod on a car forum that uses the same system as this one and it’s a great feature as there are always a couple of ‘characters’ on any forum and for many users being able to filter that makes for a more pleasant experience.

• Thanks 1

I won’t be going to pubs or gigging under the current conditions I.e. thousands of people getting infected everyday.

I know the government is concerned about the economy, but rather than all the lock down easing we’ve had over the last couple of months we should have taken the pain and stayed in hard lockdown and kept R low to reduce the numbers as fast as possible. Possibly by now we might have got the infections down to zero like New Zealand and be able to open up with confidence. I think the governments strategy will do more harm to the economy, especially if we get another peak.

• Like 4

I haven't read all the small print because I don't gig anymore or even go to pubs that much, but one of our local pubs says it won't be reopening because ( amongst other reasons) there is a ban still on 'vertical drinking'.....i.e standing in the pub and drinking, everyone needs to be seated. Would this include the band...??????

The reporter on BBC news has also said you won't be permitted to raise your voice as that may increase projectiles from peoples mouths. So only very very quiet bands .......It seems a bit of a ridiculous list of restrictions to be honest, and of course it's virtually unenforceable. 

• Haha 1