Why become a member? ×

Pubs opening July 4th - Gigs?

ClassicVibes

Not sure where this notion that pubs are opening in a couple of weeks has come from? I think theres been a bit of interpretation or misinterpretation trying to force the issue?

Theres no way on earth you can get a pub full of people full of alcohol to adhere to any rules unfortunately. Perhaps small corner locals or labour clubs etc with less punters and more responsible older clientelle, but not busy town centre pubs full of 20 year olds.

If they are opening, and do open, then theres no reason at all that bands cant play as far as I can see. Hopefully, it may get stubborn venues to use their brains more and let bands use the fire exits / side doors next to the staging area to load in and out, rather than carry all the gear through the full length of the pub. It may even force them to rethink the performance areas and that there is sufficient easy access in and out to it. Like youd get at a theatre.

I lost count of the amount of venues with the perfect performance are right next to a side door or fire exit (not blocking) which would have made live perfect for setting up and down, and better viewing area for the punters, yet the landlord decides the playing are is right at the other side of the pub, through all the punters and squashed into a corner.

Let's hope, on a positive note, a good rethink helps us bands out.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

Not sure where this notion that pubs are opening in a couple of weeks has come from? I think theres been a bit of interpretation or misinterpretation trying to force the issue?

From the PM announcement at 12:30pm today, which was/is being televised. Pubs and restaurants are allowed to re-open, but for table service only with minimal contact between customers and serving staff; and they will also take names and addresses upon arrival.

It was also mentioned, "Most leisure facilities will re-open if they can do safely, including.....social clubs and community centres". "We will also work with the arts industry on specific guidance to enable choirs, orchestras and theatres to resume live performances as soon as possible".

1 minute ago, paul_c2 said:

From the PM announcement at 12:30pm today, which was/is being televised. Pubs and restaurants are allowed to re-open, but for table service only with minimal contact between customers and serving staff; and they will also take names and addresses upon arrival.

Gees.... well, looks like social distancing is over then. 

I can kind of get how they can manage the restaurant side, as the culture is to sit down, but pubs?

I'll be giving it at least a month to let everyone bump into each other, grab each other, fight each other and generally give any virus to each other, before I even think of going back.

• Like 6

I've said it on here before but if pubs can only let reduced numbers in due to social distancing guidelines, why are they going to pay a band to pull extra punters in if the pub can't let them in anyway. 

I did read an article, can't remember where, that said the government might only allow pubs to book solo artists and duos to start with to allow for distancing on stage areas. I hope not. 

Oh yeah another thing in that article was possibly open pubs but not allow any music at all including dukeboxes and background music. The theory being that the louder you talk the more spittle you project so shouting over loud music or singing along would help spread covid, especially as the natural thing to do when someone can't hear you is to get closer and shout into their ear. 

When all this first started, I was pleased at the money I was saving by drinking at home instead of going to the pub, but in the last few weeks, I've been saving even more by not drinking at home either. I intend to try and maintain that when the pubs open again.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, cetera said:

A recipe for a second wave, and I want no part in it...

There's going to be a second wave no matter what, and a third and a fourth until something like 60% of the country has had the virus, then herd immunity kicks in. Right now about 5% have had it, so there are a lot of "spikes" to come, unless it mutates into a common flu virus.

Right now I just think, let's get it over and done with. Some people will die, most won't and the survivors can get back to living. If the current situation carries on, and the country tries live on credit for much longer, our kids and grandchildren will be paying for this into the next century.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

There's going to be a second wave no matter what, and a third and a fourth until something like 60% of the country has had the virus, then herd immunity kicks in. Right now about 5% have had it, so there are a lot of "spikes" to come, unless it mutates into a common flu virus.

Right now I just think, let's get it over and done with. Some people will die, most won't and the survivors can get back to living. If the current situation carries on, and the country tries live on credit for much longer, our kids and grandchildren will be paying for this into the next century.

I love my mam & dad too much to chance it, but I appreciate other people have different opinions on it.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Right now I just think, let's get it over and done with. Some people will die, most won't and the survivors can get back to living.

Lets hope it's noone you care about eh?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I suspect that's very close to the governments real programme. I can't say I agree with it, but on the other hand, I have no idea what else to suggest. It's a fine line between a financial disaster (with all the attendant problems including premature deaths which that brings) and allowing 'nature to take its course'. I wouldn't mind betting that Boris J. wishes Teresa May had hung on to the job for a few more months!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cetera said:

I agree that it does sound superficially heartless. But there are a bunch of tough choices ahead for all countries and their leaders. I'd hate to be in their shoes right now.

India tried lock down and people started going hungry: they had to pull back: Covid deaths now starting to pile up. Tough choices.

We're obviously more fortunate than many developing countries, but 4 million folk unemployed by November is no joke either, state school kids not being educated with their futures blighted, cancer patients not being treated to make way for Covid sufferers. This thing ain't easy or straightforward.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, cetera said:

I totally agree,  but it's impossible to lockdown the world until a vaccine is developed, so lives and economies have to start again, with all the risks that Covid-19 brings.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I agree that it does sound superficially heartless. But there are a bunch of tough choices ahead for all countries and their leaders. I'd hate to be in their shoes right now.

India tried lock down and people started going hungry: they had to pull back: Covid deaths now starting to pile up. Tough choices.

We're obviously more fortunate than many developing countries, but 4 million folk unemployed by November is no joke either, state school kids not being educated with their futures blighted, cancer patients not being treated to make way for Covid sufferers. This thing ain't easy or straightforward.

That's the harsh reality of it, and it's not pretty. The worst scenario for me would be surviving the virus then starving to death in the aftermath!

1 minute ago, paul_c2 said:

There is no evidence for this

I agree, but it explains their behaviour fairly well. I'm no fan of politicians generally, but I certainly don't envy them the decisions they are having to make, almost certainly damned if they do and damned if they don't.

• Like 2

Sticking to the topic of pub gigs, I think its fair to say that today's new guidelines will only be able to be implemented by a subset of pubs - I suspect most will be keen to at least try it, rather than remain closed.

But of those that re-open, they certainly won't be rushing to have live music back any time soon. There might be a handful of places which do low-key (I don't mean Ab minor stuff....) musical performances, eg a jazz pianist or maybe even a quartet.

I think for the vast majority of us, its no change and still "watch this space". I've tried to find details of any government consultation with the arts industry, without any luck - the Making Music website doesn't have up-to-date details, for example.

Our every other month gigs at the Fiddler's Elbow in Camden are usually played to 90-100 people closely packed into the small venue. It's a great atmosphere, but as the average age of our audience is probably around 60, I am mot sure it'd wise to jump back into those shows too quickly, no matter how much we (the band) miss playing them.

I can't think that any of venues I play with any band are likely to be able open for some time yet, unfortunately.