Why become a member? ×

Warwick or Mayones

ntto

In fairness, I agree about the J bass - all roads should lead to it. As a young teenager Geddy Lee was an inspiration to me musically but I just don't love the look of a J bass - shallow I know!

Now Geddy Lee and his Wal....that's my absolute pinnacle, throw in Tool and Wal would absolutely be my first choice. If I could afford a new Wal I'd buy one today, if I could get my hands on a second hand one I'd bite your hands off but they are like hens teeth.

5 hours ago, ntto said:

In fairness, I agree about the J bass - all roads should lead to it. As a young teenager Geddy Lee was an inspiration to me musically but I just don't love the look of a J bass - shallow I know!

Now Geddy Lee and his Wal....that's my absolute pinnacle, throw in Tool and Wal would absolutely be my first choice. If I could afford a new Wal I'd buy one today, if I could get my hands on a second hand one I'd bite your hands off but they are like hens teeth.

Not shallow, you like what you like and you've got to want to play it. If Wals weren't so eye wateringly expensive , even 2nd hand, I'd be looking at them also. However, they are expensive and heavy too (one thing I have to avoid) so I can just ogle from afar. You could look at something like this, which is Wal-esque.  https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jazzus/jaz-4str/1780-jazzus-4a-balkan-apple-burl-200045

image.png.b79e2f1c264aa36ce4c91a3dec97460e.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Not shallow, you like what you like and you've got to want to play it. If Wals weren't so eye wateringly expensive , even 2nd hand, I'd be looking at them also. However, they are expensive and heavy too (one thing I have to avoid) so I can just ogle from afar. You could look at something like this, which is Wal-esque.  https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jazzus/jaz-4str/1780-jazzus-4a-balkan-apple-burl-200045

image.png.b79e2f1c264aa36ce4c91a3dec97460e.png

Good choice right there. Looks a little bit Enfield to my eyes too - which is no bad thing 👍

54 minutes ago, ntto said:

Are they a reliable make?

I have 3 of them (2 customs and 1 off the peg) and there’s a whole thread dedicated to them. As with any manufacturer, some folk have had some small niggles, but overall it’s very positive.

They have their own YouTube channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PublicPeaceMI

Edited by ezbass

10 hours ago, ntto said:

If you want a wal I would just save and wait for a Wal to show up in your price range. The pro series are a bit cheaper. 

10 hours ago, ntto said:

I passed on a WAL fretless around 1992 for £200.  I don't know how that makes you feel, but I know how it makes me feel 28 years later. :(

Frank.

Just now, machinehead said:

I passed on a WAL fretless around 1992 for £200.  I don't know how that makes you feel, but I know how it makes me feel 28 years later. :(

Frank.

Oh Frank....I feel your pain! I remember pricing one and completing the order form and it would have cost me about 2800. 

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I have 3 of them (2 customs and 1 off the peg) and there’s a whole thread dedicated to them. As with any manufacturer, some folk have had some small niggles, but overall it’s very positive.

They have their own YouTube channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/user/PublicPeaceMI

Lol you’ve got me thinking....I quite like this

https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/exhibition-items-bass/1773-sputnik-4a-ziricote150462

28 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

If you want a wal I would just save and wait for a Wal to show up in your price range. The pro series are a bit cheaper. 

That’s far too sensible, I keep trying to justify paying the money for one

9 hours ago, ntto said:

Oh oh

found the configurator

B013F62F-C932-41D4-996F-7FF46757167F.jpeg

Oh, oh! The financial, black hole that is the configurator 😂. I ordered my 2 custom Elwood Ls before this existed, but I’ve had fun with it since. 

2 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

So we've broadened the search a bit..

From Warwick/Mayones to Warwick/Mayones/Maruszczyk/Wal

There's a natural wood theme here..  maybe ACG and Rob Allen deserve a look-in?

Turned out talking to you guys about narrowing my choices was a mistake! Will have a look at these two

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

So we've broadened the search a bit..

From Warwick/Mayones to Warwick/Mayones/Maruszczyk/Wal

There's a natural wood theme here..  maybe ACG and Rob Allen deserve a look-in?

I’ve just spent the last while looking at ACG - they are stunning basses. Time to do a search of the forums to see what people’s experiences are

13 hours ago, machinehead said:

Frank.

I sold a Wal Custom in 1996 for £550. How do you think I feel?😉

On 25/06/2020 at 15:25, ntto said:

How would you describe the tone? If I’m after tune for prog / alt rock then curious to hear

A wonderful tone for prog or funk or jazz and I know some metal players like it as well.  

Check out this video. It’s a fanned fret version but I think it sounds just like the one I had. Of course I can’t play like this guy. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1