Why become a member? ×

Warwick or Mayones

ntto

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I haven't played any Mayones basses so I can't comment on those, but IMO every Warwick I've ever tried except for the MiK Pro Series Star Bass was horrible, in both looks and playability. Of course this is just a personal opinion (just like all the other comments in this thread).

Edit: I liked the Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Signature bass too, but that was in the serious custom bass price range, so really it ought to have been good.

I think to be fair, having played so, so many Warwicks over the years, since those first ones in the Bass Centre in the ‘80s, they really have been all over the place in terms of whether Ive liked them or not. The early ones (‘80s - ‘91/‘92-ish) I’ve almost universally loved, occasional serious weight aside. Those since I’ve liked and hated and everything in between. I don’t think I’ve loved anything after that period though, so far as I can remember. But of course someone else might find the complete opposite. 

1 hour ago, ntto said:

loving the red spectre. which two would you save if the house was on fire? (one for each hand)

That'll be the red Spector that is masquerading as a Warwick Streamer (5th Anniversary Ltd Ed); the thinnest neck this side of an Ibanez (slimmer than any other Warwick or Spector) and the lightest Warwick I've ever played.  

House fire - I'd save that one and the 91 Infinette that I've owned from new.

15 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

That'll be the red Spector that is masquerading as a Warwick Streamer (5th Anniversary Ltd Ed); the thinnest neck this side of an Ibanez (slimmer than any other Warwick or Spector) and the lightest Warwick I've ever played.  

House fire - I'd save that one and the 91 Infinette that I've owned from new.

My apologies, saw the fretboard markers and assumed it was a Spector 

My main player is a Mayones Jabba 5, before that it was a Warwick Thumb NT4. They're both excellent. Also very different.

Both manufacturers are of sufficient quality that you really don't have to worrry about which brand you choose.

In your position I would try to make your decision based on the differences between specific instruments.

In terms of sound, pickup config and preamp (if applicable) will largely determine the character of the bass. Do you want a J-type, P-type, PJ, MM, or something more unique like the warwick thumb? I'd try to understand that first. Also bear in mind that most warwick models use active MEC pickups which are very hi-fi; mayones is a mixed bag. 

Other things to bear in mind - Warwicks have narrow 16.5mm spacing on their standard 5 strings. In terms of neck feel, warwicks are known to be a bit rounder and fill the hand more, I think. Again I think Mayones is a mixed bag but possibly someone else can give more detail. In terms of neck-through vs bolt-on, consensus seems to be that it doesn't make as much difference as you might think, but it's a can of worms to say the least...

Interesting - I’d always assumed a neck through would have been more stable with greater sustain. I’m considering either the streamer or the Viking - I like the sound of both from the reviews I’ve watched.

4 strings is enough for me 😊

A personal observation re NT BO - I've never managed to get the same snap/attack from a NT that you can from a BO but then I don't generally do slap.  I also think the sustain thing is so marginal that the human ear would struggle to hear which sustained the most... a new set of strings would make WAY more difference on either bass.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 16:34, warwickhunt said:

I've had them mounted on walls and some kept in cases but I can't claim to have managed a pic of them all... certainly not at once.  I know at least 10 of them are still owned by Basschatters.   Some of those I presently owned are here but I moved house just after this pic and I've not had the opportunity to get hangers back on the walls.

6PP5fF5kvnsbbMYsrIN4P3OFdot_ZPjLwS4RmLp9-mg8VfBOSd_bJp3Mo5WsAQzmQ17aI6ZlKVLfvXj3a03N7wcAuCsaO1hrbzgNTO4VRrsPYb2DKGp4KK6GRlCJzdwkIyOHadJBRDSmHKzJ3U30HJOvudLuYxiz0_BEcXByenqN_cUlcMKSt1rDJyBg1OW2HDssB_LKUw3y1NYWxPtn1MebzyqQug-0LCVB9ehqD4Q8Z6-rYNFkmB8h8Au8TdkRwSeKCBI6ikFtRu47loEj1z7FLpAJZ3UrUWQz_31u0tWuG6fZkTQs0VPhZ0P9jRwHzJy05EiaNt3cX9xwpgx-scsD7AUM1w10MaWinTE6wHazUUUbqzydKc9GREjRSRD7vuQS73BsqGrXR0P9vEJu6CWM1r06KAtaLBwJlqPx8Ypj6zoDYoM0ANQXjqWY7uYWuxltoJH56Hdw_afjWudOW82BSDmvudnHzaclAaMUb_zLrJmjZL3o9BsrqX0Inte39GZ15l5Ki6TnKunYgFGKPRKkW2dycQmOyMhgUJvTs2hiCsFJ7wSGVQMQA71-yyJF0SmUCOZvoyavCvqNPzIOQDsSK-TL6MgfJKM-67Xl3Q1miayt4oJmi3kAljOCnXBy_9kvjBgnVJ9guHVJzge11tw74sBXbdjXdc9-yVMuwROQ9Ne3We6DijHc2VWN7Q=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

That green one looks the biscuits!

3 hours ago, ntto said:

Interesting - I’d always assumed a neck through would have been more stable with greater sustain. I’m considering either the streamer or the Viking - I like the sound of both from the reviews I’ve watched.

4 strings is enough for me 😊

I've owned a few Warwicks over the years.  My favourite is the Streamer stage 2 neck through. It was sold a while ago. (Regretted ever since.)
Anyway, the reason for my post is that I live in Belfast and still have a Streamer LX4 MIK.  Don't let the MIK put you off.  It's as good in its own way as the German built Streamer LX4 I owned.

If you want to try my Streamer, you'd be welcome to do so.  Either at my home, or at a gig, if we ever get back to gigging.   Let me know if you're interested.

Frank.

I had a dual-humbucker Mayones Viking for a while.  I ended up selling it because the tone didn't fit the genres I'm currently playing (alt-rock and punk) but I must agree with an earlier poster.  The craftsmanship was just impeccable.  A truly gorgeous piece of work and a dream to play on.  Fast, thin,  smooth neck... super comfortable. 

Edited by SirMoxie

16 hours ago, machinehead said:

I've owned a few Warwicks over the years.  My favourite is the Streamer stage 2 neck through. It was sold a while ago. (Regretted ever since.)
Anyway, the reason for my post is that I live in Belfast and still have a Streamer LX4 MIK.  Don't let the MIK put you off.  It's as good in its own way as the German built Streamer LX4 I owned.

If you want to try my Streamer, you'd be welcome to do so.  Either at my home, or at a gig, if we ever get back to gigging.   Let me know if you're interested.

Frank.

Thank you Frank, very kind. Do you regularly gig?

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Not enough information to compute an answer I’m afraid. Budget/sound/desired spec etc all have a part to play here.

FWIW - If I had the budget for a new Mayones, I wouldn’t buy one. Plenty more fish in the sea. The one I had didn’t stay long.

Why did it not stay too long?

3 hours ago, ntto said:

Thank you Frank, very kind. Do you regularly gig?

I was gigging regularly until this virus disaster.  Most weekends in the pubs plus the odd private party and wedding and the occasional summer festival.

EDIT I've also  Fenders - P and J, US Jaguar, PJ Jazz, Musicman, Ibanez, Steinberger you'd be welcome to try while you're at it.

Whereabouts are you in N Ireland?

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

6 hours ago, SirMoxie said:

I had a dual-humbucker Mayones Viking for a while.  I ended up selling it because the tone didn't fit the genres I'm currently playing (alt-rock and punk) but I must agree with an earlier poster.  The craftsmanship was just impeccable.  A truly gorgeous piece of work and a dream to play on.  Fast, thin,  smooth neck... super comfortable. 

How would you describe the tone? If I’m after tune for prog / alt rock then curious to hear

1 minute ago, ntto said:

Lisburn 😊 what does your band play?

I'm in a blues/rock band and a pub/party/wedding covers band plus other loose arrangements for dep gigs.

Honestly, I think most popular bass guitars can play most styles of music.  Yes, they are all a bit different but not by so much that would rule out using say, a jazz style bass, for everything.

This is just my opinion based on many years of playing and owning (too) many basses.

Frank.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I'm in a blues/rock band and a pub/party/wedding covers band plus other loose arrangements for dep gigs.

Honestly, I think most popular bass guitars can play most styles of music.  Yes, they are all a bit different but not by so much that would rule out using say, a jazz style bass, for everything.

This is just my opinion based on many years of playing and owning (too) many basses.

Frank.

You’re not wrong: Jaco, Geddy, Tim Commerford, Norman Watt Roy, to name but 4 - all very different, all very good, all use/used a Jazz.

• Like 2

Went to see soft machine last year; Roy Babbington was playing a Squire PJ bass.  You don't even need a fender if you're good enough!

I do like my Warwick and Wals tho.  Warwick's are crazy good value too if you buy second hand, depreciate like super cars from new tho ( goodness knows why, fashion I guess ).

• Like 1