Why become a member? ×

Warwick or Mayones

ntto

Hi folks, looking for a new bass. Unfortunately due to where I live I’m not going to get an opportunity to try before I buy - therefore research and seeking opinions is a must!

i think I’ve narrowed it down to Warwick (either neck through or bolt on) or a neck through Mayones. Would appreciate the forums views on both makes and suggestions on which might be better. Music wise,  amongst others Tool, Rush, Queensryche, NIN, Pearl Jam etc etc

Thanks for your help!

7 minutes ago, ntto said:

Hi folks, looking for a new bass. Unfortunately due to where I live I’m not going to get an opportunity to try before I buy - therefore research and seeking opinions is a must!

i think I’ve narrowed it down to Warwick (either neck through or bolt on) or a neck through Mayones. Would appreciate the forums views on both makes and suggestions on which might be better. Music wise,  amongst others Tool, Rush, Queensryche, NIN, Pearl Jam etc etc

Thanks for your help!

Why have you chosen those two?

I’m completely open minded (I hope!) and nave have narrowed it down to these two based on reputation, quality, sound and looks.

without being able to try I can’t afford the quality to be anything other than rock solid.

happy to consider others if recommended 

There's no bad basses - it's all just personal preference. 

Totally appreciate your good intention in asking the BC community, and we / they are a helpful lot, but ultimately this is a 'what colour should I paint my kitchen' thread.

If your starting point is as broad as just the manufacturer (and bands who's bassists all play very different basses and sound different), would just buy the bass you like the look of the most, you can always return it if it's not for you. It's as easy as that. 

(Magnolia btw) 

• Like 2

Can't comment on Mayones, but the one issue I've had in many years of multiple Warwick ownership was a tuner that stripped its innards and promptly exploded without warning. Don't be put off by that. Particularly since I had a proper replacement delivered in 48 hours and installed in 10 minutes.

Generally rock-solid instruments, but with the advantage of easy-to-source spares and they're easy to work on.

Beware the barrel jack-sockets, they can work loose. The Just-a-nut II is fragile, and vastly inferior to both the I and III. And the old school recessed straplocks can supposedly cause the bodies to crack.

I've not experienced any of these, though.

The construction is very robust, but functional rather than elegant.

The necks are pretty stable.

Some of the pickup/EQ combinations are arguably a trifle bland sounding- but some designs (Dolphin, Infinity, Thumb) don't seem to suffer from this, in spite of using ostensibly the same parts as some other Warwicks. Maybe it's the wood choice and pickup placement.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

37 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Where do you live?  I'm in the NE and I've a few Warwick basses you are welcome to try.  

Northern Ireland - many thanks for the offer! I assume you’re a fan? What do you have?

19 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Can't comment on Mayones, but the one issue I've had in many years of multiple Warwick ownership was a tuner that stripped its innards and promptly exploded without warning. Don't be put off by that. Particularly since I had a proper replacement delivered in 48 hours and installed in 10 minutes.

Generally rock-solid instruments, but with the advantage of easy-to-source spares and they're easy to work on.

Beware the barrel jack-sockets, they can work loose. The Just-a-nut II is fragile, and vastly inferior to both the I and III. And the old school recessed straplocks can supposedly cause the bodies to crack.

I've not experienced any of these, though.

The construction is very robust, but functional rather than elegant.

The necks are pretty stable.

Some of the pickup/EQ combinations are arguably a trifle bland sounding- but some designs (Dolphin, Infinity, Thumb) don't seem to suffer from this, in spite of using ostensibly the same parts as some other Warwicks. Maybe it's the wood choice and pickup placement.

Thanks - I assume even with all of that it wouldn’t put you off 😊 I’d be worried about anything that would potentially make the body crack. How have you found their customer services when you’ve had an issue?

2 hours ago, ntto said:

I’m completely open minded (I hope!) and nave have narrowed it down to these two based on reputation, quality, sound and looks.

without being able to try I can’t afford the quality to be anything other than rock solid.

happy to consider others if recommended 

Fair enough. I’ve owned Warwicks and had a NT thumb which had to have the truss rod replaced but was a beautifully crafted instrument. I’d say on the whole they are quite unique. 

As for Mayones, I’ve only tried one of their Jabba basses (jazz bass copy) so it really is like chalk and cheese. It was a good jazz bass and build quality seemed solid. Not much more to say about it though really.

The Mayones basses I’ve played (a couple of different models) have been heavy and very glossy finish-wise. Warwicks generally tend towards heavy too, depending on model of course, but generally are oil-finished, so typically feel quite different.

Sounds are simply a matter of preference, as, ultimately is playability. I’m sure you could get either setup really nicely. 

I vote Warwick for no other reason than I have some and love them. 

I can't comment on Mayones but I've got four Warwicks (one each of the Fortress series and a '96 Corvette) and they're all high quality and very enjoyable instruments.  They have the most comfortable necks imho.  I play in an originals rock band and any of my Warwicks fit right in - I'm especially thinking of the Corvette. 

As someone mentioned earlier, those barrel jack sockets can fail and JAN II is a bit flimsy.  Apart from that I haven't had a moment's trouble with any of mine in the 10 years since getting my first Warwick (the Corvette).  I've never had any issues with the recessed strap thing.

Oh yes, and the Warwick community seems very helpful and friendly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ntto said:

Thanks - I assume even with all of that it wouldn’t put you off 😊 I’d be worried about anything that would potentially make the body crack. How have you found their customer services when you’ve had an issue?

Not all of the issues I've mentioned have even affected me. It's what I've seen and heard of. Warwick have changed over to regular strap buttons, and the Just-a-nut (JAN III) has long since superceded its fragile predecessor. If you were buying new, neither of these would be an issue.

I'd have another Warwick (new or used) without a second thought. 

@Drax said it best.  Its just an opinion and what one person thinks is great you might find awful.

I happen to have only played Warwicks since '97.  I think they are brilliant and have everything that I want in a bass. It probably could have easily been other brands but I just happened to find what suited me back then and I have not had the time, space or finances to buy and sell basses to find out how other brands would suit me.

I am sure Mayones are great but I have never played one so I really cant comment.

@warwickhunt has had every single Warwick under the sun and can probably give you the most in depth answer you might be looking for. I can just chime in with my experience which is from owning 5 Warwicks (currently 4). 

When I got my first one I was upgrading to a 5 string and better bass (to me).  I got a Thumb NT. I have never experienced any of the known problems mentioned above with any of the hardware and they have never failed me over few hundred gigs.  But there are probably few other things you might want to consider before getting one.

Neck profiles are really different.  I have late 80s early 90s basses and they are flat and thin. Other years/models might be chunky and baseball bat like.  I had a FNA Jazzman 2004 which was on the chunkier side but I got used to it and gigged it a lot but this might be an issue for you.

These basses are heavy at least the ones I have had (the FNA was the lightest) so if you are gigging and you have this around your neck for good few hours you are going to feel it and you might find it something that you would not want.

The last thing I want to mention is the access to the 1st fret.  This applies specially to Thumbs, because of the body shape and the upper horn the 1st fret is further away than on many basses.  I am quite tall so this has never been a problem for me but I had a student few years back and he really liked my Thumb but this issue was too much for him, he found the stretch too much.  

I do find the price of a new Warwick today eye watering and I would never buy a new one.  There seem to be quite a few for sale here and worth a look.

I hope I am not putting you off and these are great basses and that Warwick growl is quite something else and I think they look different but fantastic.  Just give the first 3 Jamiroquai albums a spin to hear some great Warwick tone.

• Like 2

It's really hard to formulate a reply re. Warwick, never mind comparisons with Mayones (or any other manufacturer); so I'll start with the Warwick though it may sound like a history lesson as I don't know if you are only buying new.  My views are based on presently owning 10 Warwicks and having owned at least another 50... not one bought new and no Rockbasses.

New - If you are buying new the issues with truss rods, breaks, nuts, sockets are all pretty much a thing of the past BUT you are in the realms of a massive range of basses from Chinese RB basses up to German CS and priced accordingly.  Sadly the highest grade are now into boutique bass category and price range.

Used (vintage) - If you are talking 80's and 90's then the plus side is that you are only discussing instruments made direct by Warwick in Germany (OK... apart from the MIJ Dolphin Pro II), so no clouding of country of origin.  Issues with jack sockets cost £5 - £10 to sort and generally should have been done by this point.  Neck breaks at headstock and truss rod issues likewise should have occurred by now, if they haven't chances are they are OK.  I've had 2 truss rod issues out of nearly 60 used basses and owned 2 further basses that had historical breaks/fixes... maybe some context? 

Model - You have everything from the Spector copies of Streamers (Stage I & II), through the Infinity, Thumb, Corvette, Dolphin, Katana, Darklord, Nobby... and a few others I can't think of off my head.  Each has pretty much a distinct and different tone (the Streamer is 'probably' the most generic but not diminished because of it), further compounded by the fact that bolt-on models can/do sound different to neck-thru models and many of the ranges come in both.  Oh... and you also have all of the Limited Edition models.  The commonest models are;

Streamer - ergonomic, well balanced, not extreme.  Stage I & II very different tonally.

Thumb - unique tone and appearance, can be heavier than it looks like it should be for its size, first position stretch isn't great for certain people (I still own one and play it seated).

Corvette - well balanced, broad range of pup options inc $$ which could suit heavier styles.

Infinity/Infinette - an upgrade to the Corvette that is chambered.

Dolphin - like the Thumb a very focused tone with great balance but some can be heavy and necks generally broader.

Weight - I presently own a bunch of Streamers and they range from 8lb to over 10lb (the latter being a Ltd Ed with a dense piece of maple as the body).  I've got a Thumb from 1985 that is less than 9lb but a friend has one from 1991 that is 9lb 10oz.  I've owned a couple of Corvettes, again presently 8lb 5oz but as much as 9lb 8oz in past basses.  Actually I could give you personal experience of having held basses that go from low/mid 8lb to 10lb BUT I've owned other manufacturers basses that are likewise broad ranging (Lakland is a classic example).   

Neck profiles - Oh gawd... they range from super slim up to baseball bats and this is compounded by the various outsourced ranges available.  You also have the option of a 'Broad Neck' on some basses, with wider string spacing.

Pups - Used older models can have pups from: MEC, EMG, Bartolini, Seymour Duncan, Alembic and a few others I'm sure.  You can get gold and silver MEC models (active/passive)

EQ - 2 or 3 band active or passive (German models are switchable... but some are still technically active even when in passive), again early basses could be EMG, MEC, SD, etc.

Bridges/Nuts - 2 pieces bridges are multi-adjustable inc string spacing.  Early and CS models can have solid brass bridge plates which can add a bit of weight and sustain (allegedly).  The bridge saddles can corrode but parts are available.  Earliest JAN nuts in brass were great (never glued on properly but easily fixed), the Mk II models were made of chocolate and were an embarrassment.  They seem to be sorted again now though.

I can't say that I'm well up on a few of your musical choices but for a 'rock' orientated sound, you could theoretically take any of the above basses and make them fit but the $$ range gives you more scope for a fuller tone.  The Thumb bass is used in a few rock bands for it's focused tone.  The Dolphin and Infinity don't seem to feature in your choice of bands style but that's not to say they wouldn't!  If you narrow down new/used and a price range, I might be able to refine the above!  LOL

Mayones - I've had the chance to play with 2, a Jazz style and a BE model.  The Jazz (was it a Jabba?) sounded like a good Jazz and was probably put together way better than most Fender Jazzes I've played.  It was different tonally but I could get it to sound like a Jazz on steroids.  The BE model oddly, I thought sounded a bit like the Dolphin I had.  Again, well put together but REALLY hard to compare to a Warwick in other ways.

Phew... later!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I haven't played any Mayones basses so I can't comment on those, but IMO every Warwick I've ever tried except for the MiK Pro Series Star Bass was horrible, in both looks and playability. Of course this is just a personal opinion (just like all the other comments in this thread).

Edit: I liked the Jack Bruce Cream Reunion Signature bass too, but that was in the serious custom bass price range, so really it ought to have been good.

Edited by BigRedX

5 hours ago, bassbora said:

The last thing I want to mention is the access to the 1st fret.  This applies specially to Thumbs, because of the body shape and the upper horn the 1st fret is further away than on many basses.

Mayo player here, or at least until last week. I swapped it due to this issue - I’m not a tall guy (5 ft 9, broad shoulders, built like a miner) as we aren’t particularly famed for height in Wales, but I found the 1st fret to be too far away to be comfortable on my Mayones Victorious. If the first fret was where the second fret is, it would’ve been bearable. It would make my shoulder cramp and my arm feel strained, which I have experienced with other 24 fret basses. This problem isn’t limited to the Mayones/Warwick family, but most 24 fret basses with small bodies.  

My Mayones was the best built, most luxurious bass I’d ever owned. The craftsmanship was second to none. It would’ve been at home on display as it would be on stage. It’s was more solid and stable than any of its Fender brethren I had here, and it felt like someone wouldn’t let it leave the factory until it was absolutely perfect. The neck was flat and shallow, with a fatter P bass width nut. Pickups and EQ were Seymour Duncan running at 18v and had a serious amount of tone shaping capabilities. 

It had the double humbucker sound, which isn’t my favourite. However, it always had compliments on its sound from sound engineers on stage and in the studio. Plus the fact that it’s a bit rare sends the guitar lads over for a nose. I feel like they’re from the same school of thought (nice woods, powerful EQ, 24 frets) so you won’t go wrong with either. There is more variety from Warwick, but I’m seeing more Mayones and Mayones devotees. Of the Warwicks and Mayones I’ve played, the Mayones have felt better put together, but only just. I’d gig a Warwick as happily as a Mayones. 

Folks, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to reply, this is what forums should be! :)

It's fascinating to read the different views and opinions.

@warwickhunt thanks for taking the time with that post. I've narrowed it down to a Streamer (or a Corvette at a push) as I like the way it looks and sounds from what I can hear on youtube. Open to either a bolt-on or a neck through and either new / preloved albeit I'd like something that's fairly modern and in excellent condition. I'd love to know your musical background that you've owned more than 50 basses!

@samplaybass was it difficult to let it go? What's your go to bass now?

Just now, ntto said:

@warwickhunt...  I'd love to know your musical background that you've owned more than 50 basses!

Let's set the record straight; more than 60 Warwick basses but easily as many of all other brands!  

My story/secret secret to owning that many basses is to marry an understanding woman/man/partner, hold down a day job, don't squander money (basses aren't squandering btw) and most importantly... don't have kids!  ;)  

• Like 1

I've had them mounted on walls and some kept in cases but I can't claim to have managed a pic of them all... certainly not at once.  I know at least 10 of them are still owned by Basschatters.   Some of those I presently owned are here but I moved house just after this pic and I've not had the opportunity to get hangers back on the walls.

6PP5fF5kvnsbbMYsrIN4P3OFdot_ZPjLwS4RmLp9-mg8VfBOSd_bJp3Mo5WsAQzmQ17aI6ZlKVLfvXj3a03N7wcAuCsaO1hrbzgNTO4VRrsPYb2DKGp4KK6GRlCJzdwkIyOHadJBRDSmHKzJ3U30HJOvudLuYxiz0_BEcXByenqN_cUlcMKSt1rDJyBg1OW2HDssB_LKUw3y1NYWxPtn1MebzyqQug-0LCVB9ehqD4Q8Z6-rYNFkmB8h8Au8TdkRwSeKCBI6ikFtRu47loEj1z7FLpAJZ3UrUWQz_31u0tWuG6fZkTQs0VPhZ0P9jRwHzJy05EiaNt3cX9xwpgx-scsD7AUM1w10MaWinTE6wHazUUUbqzydKc9GREjRSRD7vuQS73BsqGrXR0P9vEJu6CWM1r06KAtaLBwJlqPx8Ypj6zoDYoM0ANQXjqWY7uYWuxltoJH56Hdw_afjWudOW82BSDmvudnHzaclAaMUb_zLrJmjZL3o9BsrqX0Inte39GZ15l5Ki6TnKunYgFGKPRKkW2dycQmOyMhgUJvTs2hiCsFJ7wSGVQMQA71-yyJF0SmUCOZvoyavCvqNPzIOQDsSK-TL6MgfJKM-67Xl3Q1miayt4oJmi3kAljOCnXBy_9kvjBgnVJ9guHVJzge11tw74sBXbdjXdc9-yVMuwROQ9Ne3We6DijHc2VWN7Q=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ntto said:

@samplaybass was it difficult to let it go? What's your go to bass now?

Difficult. It was meant to be my main bass indefinitely. Denied the existence of shoulder cramp for 9 months, tried 5 different straps. Ultimately, it took me to marking out in a mirror where my hand, elbow and shoulder were positioned before I understood (or rather came to terms with) why I having pains. 

Swapped it for an absolutely immaculate Fender Elite Jazz Bass. I’ve played Jazz basses for 14 years. I have a type... (with the exception of the P, just because everyone needs one!).

2863E0F6-CFD5-4081-B88C-C04B982CB1D4.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

I've had them mounted on walls and some kept in cases but I can't claim to have managed a pic of them all... certainly not at once.  I know at least 10 of them are still owned by Basschatters.   Some of those I presently owned are here but I moved house just after this pic and I've not had the opportunity to get hangers back on the walls.

6PP5fF5kvnsbbMYsrIN4P3OFdot_ZPjLwS4RmLp9-mg8VfBOSd_bJp3Mo5WsAQzmQ17aI6ZlKVLfvXj3a03N7wcAuCsaO1hrbzgNTO4VRrsPYb2DKGp4KK6GRlCJzdwkIyOHadJBRDSmHKzJ3U30HJOvudLuYxiz0_BEcXByenqN_cUlcMKSt1rDJyBg1OW2HDssB_LKUw3y1NYWxPtn1MebzyqQug-0LCVB9ehqD4Q8Z6-rYNFkmB8h8Au8TdkRwSeKCBI6ikFtRu47loEj1z7FLpAJZ3UrUWQz_31u0tWuG6fZkTQs0VPhZ0P9jRwHzJy05EiaNt3cX9xwpgx-scsD7AUM1w10MaWinTE6wHazUUUbqzydKc9GREjRSRD7vuQS73BsqGrXR0P9vEJu6CWM1r06KAtaLBwJlqPx8Ypj6zoDYoM0ANQXjqWY7uYWuxltoJH56Hdw_afjWudOW82BSDmvudnHzaclAaMUb_zLrJmjZL3o9BsrqX0Inte39GZ15l5Ki6TnKunYgFGKPRKkW2dycQmOyMhgUJvTs2hiCsFJ7wSGVQMQA71-yyJF0SmUCOZvoyavCvqNPzIOQDsSK-TL6MgfJKM-67Xl3Q1miayt4oJmi3kAljOCnXBy_9kvjBgnVJ9guHVJzge11tw74sBXbdjXdc9-yVMuwROQ9Ne3We6DijHc2VWN7Q=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

loving the red spectre. which two would you save if the house was on fire? (one for each hand)