Why become a member? ×

Blues Brothers in 4K/surround sound mix for bass players

Monkey Steve

Last week I got the new 4k version of the Blues Brothers, which has 5.1 surround sound

Pleased to report that whoever mixed the sound has (perhaps lazily) put the bass through just the middle speaker in the set up, while the other instruments are spread around the rest of the speakers in the room.  What this means is that because the middle speaker is typically the loudest (because that's where most of the dialogue goes, and I tend to tweak it a bit louder to help with mumbling actors) the bass is literally front and centre on everything.  Gloriously loud!

Biggest revelation for me was that the bass doesn't play all the notes in the Peter Gunn riff, and in fact is playing some quite interesting variations

Thoroughly recommended

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Last week I got the new 4k version of the Blues Brothers, which has 5.1 surround sound

Pleased to report that whoever mixed the sound has (perhaps lazily) put the bass through just the middle speaker in the set up, while the other instruments are spread around the rest of the speakers in the room.  What this means is that because the middle speaker is typically the loudest (because that's where most of the dialogue goes, and I tend to tweak it a bit louder to help with mumbling actors) the bass is literally front and centre on everything.  Gloriously loud!

Biggest revelation for me was that the bass doesn't play all the notes in the Peter Gunn riff, and in fact is playing some quite interesting variations

Thoroughly recommended

Presumably there's a bit in the sub, too? 🙂

17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Are we still allowed to watch The Blues Brothers?

White saviours

Cultural appropriation

Black people portrayed as secondary participants in their own culture

Etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cinematicslant.com/2018/05/21/how-would-the-blues-brothers-fare-today/amp/

What a load of bunkum.

• Like 2