Why become a member? ×

Reverse modifications before sale?

fretmeister

I have completely fallen in love with my Ibanez Mezzo 5 string. I'm finding the 32 inch scale to be far comfier, and the 7lb weight is amazing as I've had far too much surgery to make even normally light basses comfortable.

I find myself considering selling my much modified EBMM Stingray 5 - it is now a passive PJ with a stack knob loom and Hipshot Ultralite tuners.

95084307_10157948733728726_5084259960041

I still have the original preamp and pickup so I could put it back to almost original spec and sell the passive pickups separately (Old photo from when I bought it).

Clearly I couldn't do anything about the routing under the scratch plate, but when the mods were done I made sure that at least visually nothing would prevent it from going back to just being a stingray.

10292544_10152918860313726_7898965737482

Or I could leave it as is as see if anyone likes the Ray neck and 17.5mm spacing as a PJ?

Or include the EBMM pickup / preamp etc and let a buyer decide if they want to put it back to original.

Of course I realise that it won't reach unmolested Ray 5 prices.

What do you think? Put it back to being a ray? Or leave as is?

(PS - I do have a selling sub so I'm not trying to avoid selling fees. I haven't completely made my mind up yet)

I reckon you'd get more interest by putting it back to standard, advertising it as a Ray 5 and offering the option of the modifications on top. Ultimately the only permanent modification is (hidden) split coil routing? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Muppet said:

I reckon you'd get more interest by putting it back to standard, advertising it as a Ray 5 and offering the option of the modifications on top. Ultimately the only permanent modification is (hidden) split coil routing? 

Pretty much - the neck pickup was once a humbucker so the rout there is a bit bigger than just the P shape, but not by a lot.

The original EBMM tuning heads had different screw holes so that isn't invisible unless the original tuners go back on. The Hipshots make the bass half a pound lighter than the originals so I'm not sure if anyone would want the original tuners back on it anyway.

I suppose I'm partly thinking about the cost of the Aguilar and Nordy pickups currently in it. They weren't cheap!

32 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I suppose I'm partly thinking about the cost of the Aguilar and Nordy pickups currently in it. They weren't cheap

...and you'd probably not make that back including them in the sale would you?  If you sold them separately you could make up some of the loss vs a standard Ray? 

• Like 1

Maybe not what you want to hear, but spookily enough about a year ago I too decided I was absolutely 100% switched over to 32" scale with the lovely bonus of super-light weight.... but had I sold my long-owned full-scale bass I would now be crying bitter, salty tears, writing bad poetry on clifftops, and that sort of thing. 

Tuck the MM under the bed, that's my advice. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Muppet said:

...and you'd probably not make that back including them in the sale would you?  If you sold them separately you could make up some of the loss vs a standard Ray? 

Possibly. But then again the Precision aguilar is made for narrower spacing and there's not many basses about that would need it.

The Nordy is the bridge pickup from a set. As  it's a blade type it fits just about everything.

3 minutes ago, KK Jale said:

Maybe not what you want to hear, but spookily enough about a year ago I too decided I was absolutely 100% switched over to 32" scale with the lovely bonus of super-light weight.... but had I sold my long-owned full-scale bass I would now be crying bitter, salty tears, writing bad poetry on clifftops, and that sort of thing. 

Tuck the MM under the bed, that's my advice. 

I already had to sell my dream bass due to medical issues - a Marleaux Consat Custom 5.

As good as the Stingray is I doubt anything will make me feel as bad as that did.

I'd say that you would need to be open about the fact that it's had a few modifications if you come to sell it, but it probably would be a better proposition to return it to standard first.

Then sell on the other bits as well.

3 minutes ago, Skybone said:

I'd say that you would need to be open about the fact that it's had a few modifications if you come to sell it, but it probably would be a better proposition to return it to standard first.

Then sell on the other bits as well.

Of course.

The mods are quite hard to miss!

If the modding is totally reversible, I'd put it back to original.

You might find a fan of the changes you've made but IMO it's more likely most people buying an SR5 won't want to sound like a PJ, and PJ fans will probably want the Fender look.

Keep the parts for your next project.

I’ve swapped the pre amps and pickups in two of my StingRays and have kept all original parts just incase hell freezes over and need to sell either one. 

Put it back to as close to original as possible then auction of the aftermarket parts separately you will get more for it that way. Funny how that works 

• Like 1

That's a really good question. I've not measured them.

Got to be worth a look. Although the Nordy J is part of a set. The neck one has never been fitted to anything. Might do ok selling the entire set and maybe keeping the P pickup if it fits in the Mezzo.

I just hope I still don't like the Ray as a Ray when it's all reversed!!

39 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Reverse the mods - not the tuners, that isn't really a mod, just an upgrade.

Can you use the pickups on your mezzo?

None original tuners will drastically devalue it upgraded or not. 

You can buy the standard EBMM tuners, I had to replace a damaged one a while back and at just over £30 each. 

Sell the Hipshots separately 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danny-79 said:

Is the bass a 2005 LE in buttercream? 

Yes.

Although I don't have the original brown tort scratchplate. A previous owner had swapped it for the paisley, and although I was given the brown one it had been badly bent by however it had been stored and couldn't be used again. 

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Yes.

Although I don't have the original brown tort scratchplate. A previous owner had swapped it for the paisley, and although I was given the brown one it had been badly bent by however it had been stored and couldn't be used again. 

I’ve got it’s four string brother with rosewood board. 

Also heavily modified 

Nordstrand bigman. 

East pre amp 

series/single/ parallel switch 

custom pickguard and control plate

and battery box has been removed in favour of a snap and plate (off a classic SR) 

all original parts are safely stashed up but it’s definitely a keeper though 

6B6297C9-8221-4D39-A799-7EA9AFC5F081.jpeg

• Like 1

Another option could be to part it out completely.  Sell every bit separately. You may get the most return that way and the body would appeal more to the modding community I imagine.

The Stratosphere seem to do very well parting out Fenders..

Edited by miles'tone

14 hours ago, miles'tone said:

Another option could be to part it out completely.  Sell every bit separately. You may get the most return that way and the body would appeal more to the modding community I imagine.

The Stratosphere seem to do very well parting out Fenders..

Necks seem to sell well and for good money, but there are so few after market necks available that fit the 5 string body the bodies don't seem to go for much alone.

It's an option if it doesn't sell but that would be a shame. It's a great bass.

• Like 1