Why become a member? ×

Dua Lipa Bass player...Damn

shoulderpet

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

It's a good groove but it's built just using octaves and chromatic runs. Guy Pratt uses similar stuff in this song: 

Well, yes as it is a standard sort of groove, but the fills and runs are quite a bit different and add quite an interest

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

Spoken like a proper Dad. I'd also add that her skirt is too short and all the blokes look like girls.

How very dare you assume that person's gender!  😂

It's good to see a video where the camera shows the bassist more than any other musician.  Most usually focus on the guitarist playing sod all when there's a good bass groove.

53 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Er yes......and the point is?

That it’s easy to replicate and pretty standard ideas that have been executed well. 

The guy Pratt vid explains the techniques and ideas well for anyone inspired by this track or SEB (which I hope people are).

3 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

That it’s easy to replicate and pretty standard ideas that have been executed well. 

The guy Pratt vid explains the techniques and ideas well for anyone inspired by this track or SEB (which I hope people are).

Well yes, but I think that applies to loads of great basslines. I’m sure 99.9% of people here are aware that it’s essentially pretty standard stuff. 

8 hours ago, xgsjx said:

How very dare you assume that person's gender!  😂

It's good to see a video where the camera shows the bassist more than any other musician.  Most usually focus on the guitarist playing sod all when there's a good bass groove.

Makes me think of a Deep Purple tour video where Ritchie Blackmore throws a bottle at the camera man for filming Ian Gillan playing some bongos during a guitar solo.

13 hours ago, musicbassman said:

. . . . . . . . but what about Nick Campbell knocking this into next week with the Pomplamoose cover ?

Loved the playing on that. The bands in this genre are stacked full of amazing musicians.

50 minutes ago, geoham said:

I think I read somewhere it was Guy Pratt who played on it, though it was just a comment on YouTube or something. Does anyone know who played on it?

George

On the original studio version it is actually a midi track but on this version in the video and in live versions it is a player called Matthew Caroll

• Thanks 1

A couple of years ago I saw Sam Wilkes playing at the Jazz Cafe with Lewis Louis Cole's Knower. I haven't seen many bass players with that amount of talent and ability.

edit for spelling, oops

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

I love everything Dua Lipa has done, just something about her music that works for me. I've only heard the first album but my wife says it's because it has a melancholic vibe and rising/falling chord patterns which I'm a sucker for.

Love the bass playing on the Pomplamoose version as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

A couple of years ago I saw Sam Wilkes playing at the Jazz Cafe with Lewis Cole's Knower. I haven't seen many bass players with that amount of talent and ability.

Sam Wilkes is on fire here. In fact the rhythm section is pretty fabulous. Louis can certainly throw down a groove. The music won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but the musicians in the band are all top drawer players , and Genevieve Artadi on vocals is not to be underestimated. Personally I like the way the music grooves.

Edited by MNY
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 22/06/2020 at 21:36, musicbassman said:

OK, this is all very well, but what about Nick Campbell knocking this into next week with the Pomplamoose cover ?

Oh my god I’ve just discovered Pomplamoose, they are awesome, thanks for that! 

• Like 1