Why become a member? ×

Dua Lipa Bass player...Damn

shoulderpet

Bass player is absolutely killing it in this, theres a looong intro and the song actually properly starts around 1min37s , I suspect this has been tweaked but even so..Damn

I know what the next bassline I learn is gonna be

[youtube]

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 4

It’s a whole big bag of cliches, but my daughter (4) likes this song so I sometimes play along with it while she’s dancing.

The bass player here is a monster and doing a great job. I certainly can’t play it cleanly and with the confidence he does. And he plays keyboard too!

• Like 2

The bass sounds live, but it’s actually midi. I grew up on Daft Punk, the Bee Gees and some cool European DJs, so those bass lines are ingrained in my soul. It’s like my favorite mix of disco and Euro-funk stuff. Also, with the wonderful world of midi, you don’t have to be the best bass player. You can play it [rough] on keyboard, and go in and fix it. I’m definitely not the best musician, but I can hear it in my head and make it happen with midi.” 

https://www.songwriteruniverse.com/ian-kirkpatrick-songwriter-2020.htm

• Like 3

I like this. I like all good bass playing.

I look at the positives, it's a good line which is placed forward in the mix. A lot of kids are going to hear this and, maybe, want to play bass as a result.

Sounds like a bass with flats, but actually is a midi. Recording techniques in the studio are becoming very sophisticated, but, Ian Kirkpatrick has captured the soul and feel of a P bass with flats, so it doesn't really matter. As Juliaplaysgroove shows, its a great bass guitar line.

IMO a good lockdown project would be to start at the beginning of Juliaplaysgroove's YouTube videos and work your way through.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I quite like it but the best part is the intro. That said I've heard it all before. Big chunks of Chic in there what with the bassline and the strings.

I suspect that’s kind of the point.

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Sorry, but this is not for me. It contains almost every ingredient I abhor in Big Beat disco stuff. I didn't make it to three minutes. Never mind, others will surely appreciate it. :(

Spoken like a proper Dad. I'd also add that her skirt is too short and all the blokes look like girls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

It's a good groove but it's built just using octaves and chromatic runs. Guy Pratt uses similar stuff in this song: 

Guy Pratt is awesome, I love his bassline on Like a Prayer  , less enamoured with the actual song but the bassline itself is awesome