Why become a member? ×

Info on this SX anyone?

Basscabman

I've found out that the model number is SX SBG2 made around 2006 - 2010

Over at the other place they were highly rated, don't think there are many available as Ernie Ball threatened SX with a lawsuit.

Who knows. I'm going to have a look at it later.

I'll post if I buy It.

I bought It!

Cracking Stingray copy for the money.

Ash body and fantastic neck. Quick setup and it's really great to play.

Only problem is the bass and mid sweep don't work. Cheap preamp and pots I expect.

Pick up sounds great too.

I'd like to stick another 3 band pre amp In it but can't justify an east pre amp money on It. 

If I could get a pre amp for around £40 I'd do It. 

Well pleased with it though.

• Like 2

On 22/06/2020 at 06:10, Geek99 said:

Looks very much indeed like my vintage EST96a- hardware identical only the headstock differs and yes it’s good  

They're not the same, but they are of similar quality. Actually I rate SX a little higher if anything. Good low priced instruments.

17 hours ago, Basscabman said:

I bought It!

Only problem is the bass and mid sweep don't work. Cheap preamp and pots I expect.

I'd like to stick another 3 band pre amp In it but can't justify an east pre amp money on It. 

nice! :)

I was actually looking at those SX Stingray clones years ago. I could only find them at Rondo in the US at the time... and before I was able to find one over here, they were discontinued. One thing I really liked about the ones I was seeing was that they lacquered the neck glossy.  

The John East preamp is really nice, but it's pricey. Personally I'd wait, save, and buy one. They appear for sale, used, from time to time, at around £100. Well worth it, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

They're not the same, but they are of similar quality. Actually I rate SX a little higher if anything. Good low priced instruments.

Possibly but the body and hardware are identical - only the headstock differs 

20 hours ago, Basscabman said:

I bought It!

Pop some pics up when you’ve sorted it out?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Possibly but the body and hardware are identical - only the headstock differs 

Not really, unless Vintage have made EST96 basses with different shapes.

The body of the SX is very close to the real thing, while the Vintage ones have a slightly narrower waist and the top horn is a little funky in the way it comes off (I have a way with words today, don't I? :D ). The Vintage body also looks a little longer perhaps? I remember there was a clear gap between the pickguard and the bridge on the Vintage, but it's very small -almost nothing- on the SX, or even on the SBMM clones that use the same kind of bridge.

It's that slightly odd departure of the body shape which prevented me from buying one, years ago, and ended up with OLP. The Vintage I played (only one, in a shop) was actually nicer to play than the OLP I bought, but I just could not get on with that shape. 

Hey, I never claimed to be normal. ;)

But the hardware, pickguard, etc do look very similar. I guess all these budget brands get it from the same places. 

• 3 weeks later...

So had it a month or so now, I'm astounded how good this bass plays and feels! The electrics are stinky poo, I tried a cheap artec preamp but it sounded shite so I've got a John East 2 band eq on it's way.

It has an ash body and a maple neck with superb resonance when unplugged. I'm astounded that SX can make a bass like this that sold for $149 back In 2005.  I have a superb fender jazz and a great P bass 51 copy (Both great basses) that I have not touched since i got this bass. 

Great weight too, around 8 and half pounds. From what I've read they were only made for a month before being issued a law suit and most sold were 5 strings so apparently this is very rare.

Gonna slam In the east pre and see what the original pick up sounds like, If stinky poo I'll go the Nord route.

Makes me think as musicians we're getting the derrière ripped out of us all the time,  If a bass can be made for peanuts that plays this good, why do we pay 1000.s for basses that probably could be made for a lot less. 

Yes, I've owned Stingrays. (In case you were going to ask)

A bass that plays well In your hands no matter the cost Is a gem.

Having fun