Why become a member? ×

Benson Preamp

danpb

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2020 at 18:09, Quatschmacher said:

Check out the Chase Bliss Automatone preamp. It’s the Benson preamp with ridiculously cool MIDI controls and motorised faders. 

Wow!

In the States they have an expression I've only heard in relation to photography. Theres a Panasonic camera which you can buy at the normal price, or you can pay another few hundred pounds and get it with a red dot on the front. The Leica red dot. Same camera off the same production line but the red dot elevates it from Panasonic to Leica. They call it a dentist's camera.

Because only a dentist could afford it.

Obviously this isn't an ordinary pedal with a very expensive bit of branding, I'm not suggesting that for one moment. I'm sure it's wonderful, but £750 for a pre-amp pedal?

I'd want it to straighten my teeth as well for that kind of money.

On 21/06/2020 at 21:14, danpb said:

Hey, has anyone tried using the Benson Preamp to add some tube growl.

I'm wondering if this will be a decent always on pedal Infront of my amp. Just concerned about bass cut or muddiness. 

Anyway back to the point - I found this guy on Reddit (a guitarist, but hey, no one is perfect) who shares some interesting thoughts on the inherent 'bassiness' of the pedal.

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Wow!

In the States they have an expression I've only heard in relation to photography. Theres a Panasonic camera which you can buy at the normal price, or you can pay another few hundred pounds and get it with a red dot on the front. The Leica red dot. Same camera off the same production line but the red dot elevates it from Panasonic to Leica. They call it a dentist's camera.

Because only a dentist could afford it.

Obviously this isn't an ordinary pedal with a very expensive bit of branding, I'm not suggesting that for one moment. I'm sure it's wonderful, but £750 for a pre-amp pedal?

I'd want it to straighten my teeth as well for that kind of money.

It’s a collaborative effort and expands on the benson preamp and not just a rebrand. It does much more than just preamp features. It’s a very capable drive and wah pedal too. Yes, it’s very pricey but there’s a lot of work gone into it. I hope that this takes off and brings the price down on later projects. I talked to Joel when I met him in Berlin last year and he wants to make this format his thing for his future pedals. It’s the ideal marriage between hands-on analogue controls and presets.