Why become a member? ×

Darkglass 112 enclosures/opinions.

NancyJohnson

As I'm doing less and less *proper* band stuff, long been on the backline downsizing route and currently run a Darkglass A/O head into the Barefaced Big One prototype that I snagged in the SE Bash a few years back.

Been thinking of going with a pair of 1x12s fulltime; actually bought a pair of Aguilars a couple of years ago, but felt they lacked the aggression I was looking for.  I ran my gear through a pair of @graemeross Barefaced Super Compacts, but didn't really feel the benefits were enough to warrant moving the Big One along and/or throwing £1.5k+ at a similar enclosure set up.

So now Darkglass.  They look nice.  Size is good.  Weight is good.  Umm, beyond that, that's it.  Until I can get out and try them, no idea how they would sound.

Anyone?

If you want a couple of light 1x12s, someone's (nobody I know, so not trying to push their stuff) is selling a pair of TKS cabs in the Market place. If I wasn't happy with what I have, I'd be very interested in them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure DG use a neo Eminence (as do so many manufacturers), which makes them virtually the same as the TKSs. Given that the DG cabs are the best part of £600 each, which is the price of the pair of TKSs in the Market place, I know what I'd be looking at.

53 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

If you want a couple of light 1x12s...

I had seen these.

Tonally, I'm very much in the Geddy/dUg area, so I guess my preference is for something with a little more top end frequency capability, to adequately pick up the dirt.  The Big Baby II has (allegedly!) a usable frequency range 30hz-20khz, the non-tweetered/horn TKS give more rumble but feel the highs would be restricting.

43 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I had seen these.

Tonally, I'm very much in the Geddy/dUg area, so I guess my preference is for something with a little more top end frequency capability, to adequately pick up the dirt.  The Big Baby II has (allegedly!) a usable frequency range 30hz-20khz, the non-tweetered/horn TKS give more rumble but feel the highs would be restricting.

As you know I am firmly in the dUg camp - I have never been found wanting with my Barefaced Supertwin across subtle time extreme settings.

A mate in the same camp as us has a couple Vanderkely’s and again is well happy.

On 24/06/2020 at 13:02, NancyJohnson said:

I had seen these.

Worth getting one of those disco tweeter boxes?

41 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Worth getting one of those disco tweeter boxes?

Probably not...

I'm fortunate enough to have a decent sized (brick) extension on the back of the house that serves as a TV/garden room; despite it just being an extension, it's effectively #2 lounge (as anyone here who has been to my house will testify) and I try and keep things tidy in there.

My gear has moved away from racks/cabs to something more bijou...wherever this journey takes me and whatever I end up with, it has to look nice as well as doing the job; I'd prefer to go with a pair matched cabinets.